Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #61
Akshayy
Enthusiast
Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ADE2, ADE3, Sony Xperia tablet Z, Nexus 7C, iPad 2x2, iPad 3
Yes, I worked on ADE 3.0!
I know what's the change in ADE 3.0, if you have issues let me know, I will help if possible.
If the new DRM is causing issues, I want to know, Thanks.

Great idea, I can store my passwords in a DRMed epub..! LOL..

Yes I have not used anything amazon, so no clue about their DRM or shipping times. Am certainly no expert with DRM.

Last edited by Akshayy; 01-25-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Akshayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #62
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
@Akshayy are you saying all ereader firmware needs to be upgraded in order to read ADE3 encrypted books?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2014, 03:09 PM   #63
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshayy View Post
Yes, I worked on ADE 3.0!
I know what's the change with ADE 3.0, if you have issues let me know, I will help if possible.
If the new DRM is causing issues, I want to know, Thanks.
Ah, that's interesting.

OK, let me check a few things with you.

In order for ADE 3.0 to use the new DRM, does the reseller have to have updated to Content Server 5?

If I buy an ePub from a reseller who has upgraded, and download the book through ADE 3.0 so it has the new encryption, is there any way I can read that book on a device that only knows about the old ADE 2.0 encryption?

Do you have any idea whether Adobe is going to 'turn off' Content Server 4 servers, as it did Content Server 3 servers back in 2009?

Suppose I had bought about 1,000 ePubs that were 'protected' by ADE 2.0 encryption (easy to do - I have). What effect is ADE 3.0 going to have on my ability to still be able to open and read those ePub on new and old devices in the next couple of years?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #64
Akshayy
Enthusiast
Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
@Akshayy are you saying all ereader firmware needs to be upgraded in order to read ADE3 encrypted books?
I hope I did not create more confusion.

If you buy a book and open in ADE 3.0 immediately, book becomes new DRM, then it won't work in older firmwares or ADE 2.0

If you buy a book and open in ereader device, or open in ade 2.0 then book uses older drm, it will work everywhere even in ADE 3.0

What matters most is where you open the book for the first time after buying the book.

First time open in old device with old firmware or ade 2.0, old drm epub.
First time open in new device with new firmware or ade 3.0, new drm epub.

The reason for this is the license key is stored in bookstore database. It will store either new drm key or old drm key.

Am I clear ?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #65
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
That does make perfect sense, thanks. So our current books will continue to use ADE 2.0 encryption, it is only newly bought books that will use ADE 3.0 encryption, if the .acsm file is opened in ADE 3.0 instead of ADE 2.0.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #66
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Ah, that's interesting.

snip...
The fact that you are asking these questions shows that DRM is bad.

Pirates gonna pirate, DRM or not. Pirates created ebooks before they "officially" existed. The DRM will be cracked. Any DRM that does not rely on continuous authentication against a server will eventually be cracked. History has proven it to be so in the gaming industry.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #67
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

If you buy a book and open in ADE 3.0 immediately, book becomes new DRM, then it won't work in older firmwares or ADE 2.0
So, people who update ADE just because there's an update may find their current readers to be useless after buying new books. Nice... not. This is going to cause trouble.

Quote:
If you buy a book and open in ereader device, or open in ade 2.0 then book uses older drm, it will work everywhere even in ADE 3.0
Thus, Adobe must force people to somehow switch over to ADE 3.x if they want to start using this new DRM system. How are they going to do that; prohibiting new accounts to sign in with ADE 2.x when first created? Impossible. There are too many devices going around, new or second hand, that rely on ADE 2.x. They will be in use for many more years from now on.

Quote:
What matters most is where you open the book for the first time after buying the book.

The reason for this is the license key is stored in bookstore database. It will store either new drm key or old drm key.

Am I clear ?
How long will ADE 2.x be supported? As I said: many current readers, that may not be updated anymore, depend on it to function properly.

You might imagine already that I will not be switching before this new DRM is cracked. I will not buy any books that I cannot un-DRM, because I require the ability to convert them to any reader I will own in the future. The reason is that I buy books much faster than I can read them, especially if there are sales. I might buy a book NOW, that I will read after only 5 years, and I don't know which reader or application I'll be using, or which DRM (if any) it will support.

This is the case for many readers and buyers here.

It would be very helpful if you could provide some documentation as to how the DRM works, and the open source community will happily implement their own "ADE"

Quote:
That does make perfect sense, thanks. So our current books will continue to use ADE 2.0 encryption, it is only newly bought books that will use ADE 3.0 encryption, if the .acsm file is opened in ADE 3.0 instead of ADE 2.0.
Thus, ADE 3.x will never ever catch on with people "in the know".

*archiving my copy of ADE 2.0*
*backup... again... again....*

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-25-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #68
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:

So ... why would we, the consumers, use ADE 3.0?
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #69
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
@Akshayy I'm still a bit confused - are you saying that if we buy a book from say Kobo the it is up to Kobo to advise whether rthis is a ADE2 or 3 encrypted book?

It seems a bit of a lucky dip and I don't want to buy a ADE3 book for some time yet
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #70
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
So ... why would we, the consumers, use ADE 3.0?
As Timon would say: "It starts...."

(The rejection of ADE 3.x by people in the know, I mean.)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #71
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

Am I clear ?

What seems to be clear is that you appear to have a very cavalier attitude in the way you treat our members' opinions.

Perhaps you could learn to express your opinions with a little respect and temperance, rather than in laughing?

MobileRead is happy to have you here. You have information that could be potentially very exciting for all our members.

We hope that you will learn to express your opinions in ways that are respectful toward the opinions of others.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #72
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
@Akshayy I'm still a bit confused - are you saying that if we buy a book from say Kobo the it is up to Kobo to advise whether rthis is a ADE2 or 3 encrypted book?

It seems a bit of a lucky dip and I don't want to buy a ADE3 book for some time yet
No. What he says is:

Buy any book -> Open ASCM in ADE 2.x -> Old DRM -> Works with old & new devices and ADE 3.x.
Buy any book -> Open ASCM in ADE 3.x -> New DRM -> Works with new devices only.

So I forsee that many people who don't know much about DRM and stuff might update to ADE 3.0 ("Hey, there's a new version, why not?"), buy a bunch of books, download them, and then find out they won't work with their old reader anymore.

I do not know if it's possible to remove ADE 3.x, replace it with ADE 2.x and then redownload the book by using the ASCM-file with ADE 2.x. If it's not, then the customer will have unknowingly scrambled a book into an unusable state, at least until he gets a new reader.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-25-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #73
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Speaking only of the US market, the question is, will B&N and Kobo adopt this standard without updating all the firmware on their discontinued devices?

If so, they will be the ones blamed. It's going to be the stores that will take the heat for that. I can't see why they would bother. It would only damage the reputation of epub devices. In the US, Kobo has a very small share, so maybe they wouldn't care, but B&N has market share to lose. I can see the headlines now "Company only sells ebooks compatible with new devices in cash grab!"
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #74
Akshayy
Enthusiast

OK we are now discussing content server, things can get complex.

First let me tell you this, If a user buys a book or has brought a book in the past, he/she must be able read the book no matter what, it does not matter new drm or old drm or no drm. Its just stupid to prevent a legit user from reading a book .

Reseller ? Lets call them publishers or bookstores.

New DRM works with Content Server 4.2 also. Existing content server. It depends on which RMSDK version is used to open the book for the first time. ADE 3.0 uses RMSDK 10, ADE 2.0 Uses RMSDK 9.3.3, all old readers use RMSDK 9.3.x

Content Server 5 has the option the ENFORCE new DRM. I don't think anybody will start enforcing right away.
If a publisher migrates its entire userbase to RMSDK 10 then they may enforce new DRM on all newly sold books. Old books purchased still will old drm and open in rmsdk 10 or 9.

I don't know if Adobe will turn off content server 4, its mostly not happening any time soon.. it depends on all customers, if they have been migrated to latest version of clients. And if the publishers desire it.

You will always be able to read your old 1000s of books in ADE 3.0.

Quote:
Ah, that's interesting.

In order for ADE 3.0 to use the new DRM, does the reseller have to have updated to Content Server 5?

If I buy an ePub from a reseller who has upgraded, and download the book through ADE 3.0 so it has the new encryption, is there any way I can read that book on a device that only knows about the old ADE 2.0 encryption?

Do you have any idea whether Adobe is going to 'turn off' Content Server 4 servers, as it did Content Server 3 servers back in 2009?

Suppose I had bought about 1,000 ePubs that were 'protected' by ADE 2.0 encryption (easy to do - I have). What effect is ADE 3.0 going to have on my ability to still be able to open and read those ePub on new and old devices in the next couple of years?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #75
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
As Timon would say: "It starts...."

(The rejection of ADE 3.x by people in the know, I mean.)
In my case, I'm forced to reject it as Adobe does not support Linux. The last version of ADE that works in Linux (under WINE) is, I believe, ADE 1.7.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote