Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #1
j3f11
j3f11 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Confused about a paperwhite jailbreak

Hi, I just got my paperwhite 3 with ads and I want to jailbreak it. I'm getting conflicting information about whether a jailbreak is possible.

The device came with 5.8.10.1 firmware and it has never been connected to the internet. Bought from Germany if that makes a difference.
j3f11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
You might want to remove special offers.
On the other, I am not sure.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
As far as we know right now, any paperwhite ( 4 GB ) that has not recieved an update from "factory" mode can be jailbroken. ( wither Over The Air or USB update )

I have not had time to update the wiki with this information ( so it only lists the exception of 5.8.9.0.1 ), and knc1 has spent enough time updating his first post, I think we need to try to get more people to use the wiki.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak

The firmware download links will take you to google, as the forum member who was hosting them realized enough people had copied them, and stopped paying for hosting.

If your serial starts with G090G1, you shoudl be able to continue using all the files listed in the wiki.

If you have a differnet model number, you may want to compare the wiki steps versus this post knc made for 5.8.9.0.1 ( 5.8.9.0.1 image can be used instead of 5.7.4 image and support more devices like the 32GB manga model ):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291336

My understanding is that special offers don't stop the jailbreak, but make it harder (impossible ) to recover if there is some kind of issue , so the recommendation is to pay amazon to remove them, but then you have to connect to the internet. ( you can skip registration, and put the update blocking folder on the kindle, then resume registration to prevent update ).

You skip registration by saying "connect to wifi", but then hitting the little [x] to close the wifi popup. That will give you a "complete registration later" button.

Last edited by coplate; 01-04-2018 at 12:14 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3f11 View Post
Hi, I just got my paperwhite 3 with ads and I want to jailbreak it. I'm getting conflicting information about whether a jailbreak is possible.

The device came with 5.8.10.1 firmware and it has never been connected to the internet. Bought from Germany if that makes a difference.
It almost always makes a difference.

follow the directions for 5.8.9.0.1 and report back on what happens.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Who will be the first to try update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin from chinese sites (as Google doesn't give other options)?
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 01:48 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Who will be the first to try update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin from chinese sites (as Google doesn't give other options)?
At least some of those sites list the md5sum of the file.
If it is identical with the one here, then:
5d38744bd01f4cbf457dae4499c3c32a

@hius07: I thought you had a copy @4pda.ru.

And there should be a number of copies posted in Japan, after all, it is for the PW3-32 manga model (which also works on the PW3-4).

Last edited by knc1; 01-04-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #7
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
@hius07: I thought you had a copy @4pda.ru.
For PW3 4GB we use factory 5.7.4 with no problems. 32GB is a rare thing here.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #8
Kamikakushi
Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:

I am in the same situation (sn: G090 KB, firmware 5.8.10.1, and I guess it's from UK, can't really tell). Did you try one of the said methods? Did you succeed? Please tell me.

If some of the experts here read this, could you verify that I should go with update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin? I am not really sure, I couldn't find a reliable tutorial for my firmware.
Kamikakushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikakushi View Post
I am in the same situation (sn: G090 KB, firmware 5.8.10.1, and I guess it's from UK, can't really tell). Did you try one of the said methods? Did you succeed? Please tell me.

If some of the experts here read this, could you verify that I should go with update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin? I am not really sure, I couldn't find a reliable tutorial for my firmware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It almost always makes a difference.

follow the directions for 5.8.9.0.1 and report back on what happens.
j3f11 has had the file for ten days now and has not had the courtesy to post the results.

All of the information available at this site is the result of people helping other people.
Nobody here is a paid member.
Nobody here is required to answer demands made, either public or private, by anyone.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #10
Kamikakushi
Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Kamikakushi put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I tried to be as polite as I could be. I really don't know why you feel it necessary to tell all that to me. If you don't feel like sending that file to me, fine, my bad.

Anyway, thank you for clearing up that I need to use your method. I only asked because the first reply here said something about dependance of serial numbers.

Last edited by Kamikakushi; 01-13-2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason: grammar
Kamikakushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:57 AM   #11
cobrax3
Connoisseur
cobrax3 began at the beginning.

Device: PW1
hi guys
so i got a pw3 5.8.10.1
if i understand correctly, i can use either of the update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin or update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin (that i got from the jailbreak wiki)?
why one is called factory and one initial? which is best?
@knc1, please, can you send me the link for 5.8.9.0.1? i see that you can not receive pm's
thanks!
cobrax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:35 AM   #12
cobrax3
Connoisseur

it might be that i cannot send pm's, even though i'm a long time member. i've just didn't post much
anyone knows how much i have to spam until i can send pm's?
thanks
Old 02-16-2018, 04:51 AM   #13
cobrax3
Connoisseur

the only site that i've found to have that update is that chinese one, baidu, which wants me to install something to be able to download it, lol. there isn't any other place for that file, really?
thanks
Old 02-16-2018, 06:18 AM   #14
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
I used update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin and had no problem JBing a PW3 with ads.

I think I used this link to the image: http://www.mediafire.com/file/i55ir4....4_initial.bin

md5sum: 14f2267189b9ecc51d89e4e86f201e75
sha256sum: 021085d5218482392168e2940ee4fa126c4fe639bb17147253 11101e064da7e6

It would be possible to add the md5/sha256sum for each file on the wiki, so that people can verify their downloads easily.

Good luck!

Last edited by datanoise; 02-16-2018 at 06:26 AM.
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #15
cobrax3
Connoisseur

yes, i have this one already
i don't have update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin
you had 5.8.10.1 firmware on your pw3?
thanks