Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
csdaley
csdaley began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Readerware

My brother has been using Readerware for years but has decided to give Calibre a try after I sung its praises. What would be the easiest way to export from Readerware and import to calibre?
csdaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No idea, never heard of readerware? What format does it store its books in? If it is one of the formats calibre can read metadata from, the easiest way might be to simply add the books from readerware to calibre (this is assuming readerware stores metadata inside the book files).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #3
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
It looks like a paid for database ($39.99 for the book database) - https://www.readerware.com/index.php - and it looks like it's not specifically just for digital files. It seems to be a version of something like LibraryThing or GoodReads as it tracks paper books as well as electronic books.

Given the price, it's not something I'd bother with - I have Calibre to manage my ebooks and LibraryThing to manage all my reading material both physical and digital.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Does it store actual ebooks? If not, can it export its database to a CSV (or Excel) file?

There's an "Import List" plugin for Calibre that allows you to import a list of book in CSV format.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
It looks to me like it's a tracker or lister rather than something that stores digital files, but I may be wrong. I saw the price tag and went 'no thanks'.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Does it store actual ebooks? If not, can it export its database to a CSV (or Excel) file?

There's an "Import List" plugin for Calibre that allows you to import a list of book in CSV format.
Tab delimited, it seems. KB article on exporting.

I use a similar type of product for managing my DVD/Video files.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:05 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
Tab delimited, it seems. KB article on exporting.

And, the Import List PI specifically allows Tab as a separator in CSV files. FWIW I would replace them with something visible (e.g. #) before importing the file.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:24 AM   #8
csdaley
csdaley began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
It doesn't store ebooks. He uses it to track what he has read and has used it for a long time so he doesn't want to start over by reentering. I think he tried tab delineated but something went wrong. I might have to try it so I can see where he went wrong.
csdaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:05 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by csdaley View Post
It doesn't store ebooks. He uses it to track what he has read and has used it for a long time so he doesn't want to start over by reentering. I think he tried tab delineated but something went wrong. I might have to try it so I can see where he went wrong.
The Import List plugin support CSVs. When you import them, there is an option to set what the delimiter is. Then you need map the columns in the CSV to those in calibre. About the only things that are mandatory are the title and authors. Make sure you have the latest version of the plugin as there has been a change in how multiple authors are handled.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:54 AM   #10
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by csdaley View Post
My brother has been using Readerware for years but has decided to give Calibre a try after I sung its praises. What would be the easiest way to export from Readerware and import to calibre?
What does your brother use Readerware for? What is he cataloging?

calibre is mainly used to handle collections of e-books. And download/convert/send to device/fix/edit e-books.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #11
toominator
toominator began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 9th Generation
Smile Readerware

For those asking about Readerware, my wife and I have been Readerware users for over a decade, and it is well worth the cost of the software. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, it is a database, and not a digital content archive. That said, it has software clients for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Android, iPhone & iPad, and has a Book, Music, and Video component.

We keep our entire library of > 2500 CDs, 1200 DVD/Blu-Rays, and umpteen thousands of books in Readerware. Great for insurance purposes! It has drag and drop from Amazon, Borders, etc. so you can do a lookup of your Books, DVDs,CDs and drop them in Readerware and you're done. It can import/export in all standard formats along with metadata.

hth.
toominator is offline   Reply With Quote