Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
ideas for protection of device

I am going to being travelling later this year and of course will be taking my Sony. Any ideas for a good case to protect my PRS 900 from sand and water? Also any tips for airport scanners or is that not a problem? I also need a good screen protector so would appreciate any ideas on that as well.
thanks bunches

Toni
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Protection from sand and water: avoid beaches. A large ziploc baggie may also help. *cheerfully genericizing trademarks*

Protection from general travel: a BookArmor case.

I have an M-Edge Executive case for my 505, which I then slip into one of those stretchy textbook covers to protect the leather and toss into backpacks, tote bags, etc., with no difficulty, but I'd go with BookArmor or at least Case Logic to be on the safe side, at least for travel, if I had a 900; the bigger the screen, the more easily it can be twisted/warped and break.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
For protection from sand and moisture you could take a look at the Leisure Jacket from mEdge:
http://www.medgestore.com/products/prs900-leisure.psp

Just as Worldwalker suggested a BookArmor for general protection. I have one for my PRS600 and I'm extremely happy with it.
http://www.extremeinkjet.com/BookArm...okarmor900.htm
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tponzo View Post
I am going to being travelling later this year and of course will be taking my Sony. Any ideas for a good case to protect my PRS 900 from sand and water? Also any tips for airport scanners or is that not a problem? I also need a good screen protector so would appreciate any ideas on that as well.
thanks bunches

Toni
I use a M-edge Platform cover for my PRS-300. Very sturdy leather.

In regard to airport scanners. For any electronic device like a mobile phone, note/netbook, ereader or PDA, metal detectors are NOT recommended. So take take your device as carry-on and make sure it goes through xray only and not a metal detector. All should be well.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
tponzo
Addict

thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I'll go w/mEdge. I like the colors
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
furrycute
furrycute began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
PRS 900 already comes with a nice Case Logic hard case. There is no need to purchase additional hard cases.
furrycute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I don't think a screen protector is needed either. I've had mine for close to 6 months now with no screen protector and have nothing wrong with my screen. My son likes to use the drawing app and the stylus and he is less than gentle so I'd have to say the screen is pretty durable already.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:45 AM   #8
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Just came back from a trip and can confirm no harm done by xray scanning at airports. I was not asked to take it out and place it separately like laptops either.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:49 AM   #9
tponzo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycute View Post
PRS 900 already comes with a nice Case Logic hard case. There is no need to purchase additional hard cases.
didn't like the case logic case. gave it away.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:52 AM   #10
tponzo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I don't think a screen protector is needed either. I've had mine for close to 6 months now with no screen protector and have nothing wrong with my screen. My son likes to use the drawing app and the stylus and he is less than gentle so I'd have to say the screen is pretty durable already.
I worry about dropping it so thanks this is good to know.