Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
rellim.j.mot
rellim.j.mot began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
problem viewing "OCRd" pdf on voyage

We have been scanning our paper books with the fantastic iX500 scanner. The books are coming out great when viewed on a ipad, mac, pc, etc. However, on my wife's voyage if the pdf file has been run through the OCR program many characters are dropped in words.

After much testing we have determined it matters not what resolution of scan, nor grey scale vs black and white. All seem to view fine as long as the file has not been "OCRd".

Is there a method of keeping multiple versions of a file in the same format?
I would love to be able to keep both the OCR and the non-OCR files under the same title.

Right now I make up two separate book titles, one ending in Not OCRd, but this is clumsy at best.

Right now I am regretting getting the voyage. I just assumed it would support pdf files better.
rellim.j.mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:45 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
No one ever said that an eink Kindle can do a good job with pdf files.

Sounds like the OCR program isn't very good. If you are running it through an OCR program, what format is the output in? Do you then run it through conversion software to make it into an ebook?

You wouldn't be able to tell the pdf version from any other version, if they had the same title. How could you? All it shows is the title.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
rellim.j.mot

The output is pdf and it displays great on everything but a kindle. The kindle drops tons of characters in words.

I did convert it into AZW format that seems to work okay, not great, the pdf had the advantage of being able to "zoom in" while with the AZW if one increases the font size the pagination is horrid.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There is no such thing as pagination in an ebook. It is one continuous stream of text.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I've never understood the need to read pdf's on 6 inch screens. The font size is so small you **have** to zoom to read them. My old Kindle DX (9.7 inch) was *just* usable.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I've never understood the need to read pdf's on 6 inch screens. The font size is so small you **have** to zoom to read them. My old Kindle DX (9.7 inch) was *just* usable.
You can get reasonable results by holding the eink Kindle sideways (landscape mode).

Some PDFs (being as how a PDF is up to three types rolled into one container) need a better PDF client than Amazon provide.

On a Fire you can try different Apps, on an eink you cannot.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I am a little confused about what it is you're actually attempting to read on the Voyage. Is it a PDF file, or it is a file that you've converted from PDF to Mobi format using an OCR program?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
rellim.j.mot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I am a little confused about what it is you're actually attempting to read on the Voyage. Is it a PDF file, or it is a file that you've converted from PDF to Mobi format using an OCR program?
I am scanning in my old physical books. The scanner produces pdf files.
I then run them through an OCR program that also produces a pdf file.

The kindle is only able to display the non-OCRd pdf file properly. When the OCR file is read, tons of characters in words are dropped.

If I convert the OCR version to AZW, the kindle seems to display that properly, however we all understand how poorly a pdf file converted looks.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellim.j.mot View Post
I am scanning in my old physical books. The scanner produces pdf files.
I then run them through an OCR program that also produces a pdf file.
Thanks for explaining it. That's your problem - you need a better OCR program that can generate formats other than PDF. PDF is a very poor choice of format for an ebook.

Abbyy FineReader is an excellent OCR program, and you can buy older versions of it at pretty moderate prices.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #10
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
It's probably Kindle software fault. Seen it on Kindle PW1 with activated hidden "text only" mode for PDFs. Can't remember if the problem with garbled text (random spaces breaking up words) was present only for "searchable PDFs" generated directly via Abbyy FineReader, or if it was also the case for FineReader>edits in Word> export as "searchable" PDF also. I do remember that the same "problematic PDF" worked as expected in KOreader while viewed in text reflow mode.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #11
rellim.j.mot

What is KOreader?
Old 06-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #12
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
KOReader is an reader app that you can run on top of Kindle's UI after you jailbreak your Kindle . It has much better PDF support, and also supports reading epub. I use it only for reading PDF books about computer programming...

Kindle Voyage (or Kindle PW2 runing fw 5.6.x) can't be jailbreaked without opening it up, so no KOreader for you. I have Kindle PW1.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #13
rellim.j.mot

rats, yet another indication I chose poorly with this device.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellim.j.mot View Post
rats, yet another indication I chose poorly with this device.
No, you chose poorly with your OCR software. As I said above, use a decent OCR program like Abbyy FireReader and you'll be fine.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #15
rellim.j.mot

I am using AABBY.

Tags
kindle, ocr, pdf, voyage