Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'm not the only one then! I already wondered what had happened to it...
It was sold to a Chinese company who destroyed the app from what I read. I really advise anyone using the newer version to get rid of it. I was so loyal for a very long time but it can no longer be trusted.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #17
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by milady133 View Post
Mix Explorer from a contributor to XDA community: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1523691
It's outside of Google Play, but it does all the things I asked to ES File Explorer, I switched some months ago
MIXplorer was our ES replacement choice as well. It's excellent.
It took a little while to get used to the interface, but well worth it.
Lots of power, very configurable, none of the bloat.

Highly recommended.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
MIXplorer was our ES replacement choice as well. It's excellent.
It took a little while to get used to the interface, but well worth it.
Lots of power, very configurable, none of the bloat.

Highly recommended.

ApK
It seems decent but I see no way to access network shares with it. Solid Explorer also has this problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 05-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #19
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It seems decent but I see no way to access network shares with it. Solid Explorer also has this problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7
MIXplorer absolutely handles network shares of various protocols. One of my main uses.

For a typical Windows-type (SMB) share, under the Bookmark list, select "Add storage" and then select LAN.

Documentation is searchable online.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...42&postcount=2

ApK

p.s. Solid can, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrKZvTKCZa0

Last edited by ApK; 05-08-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #20
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've been using ES Explorer for quite a while but I haven't had much luck connecting to my Windows 10 computers. It was the same with Windows 7 and 8.1. I do have an old XP computer on my network and I can connect to it reliably but to the others I can only connect every now and then, maybe 5% of the time or less.

I'm pretty sure it's because I don't know how to set up SMB properly in Windows, although I'm not positive of that. All my Windows computers can connect to one another as can my old Windows Phone. But from Android connections are rare.

Can anyone give me some idea where to look for an answer to this? I'd really like to do it.

By the way my main concern is connecting through Wifi, not through a remote connection, although that might be nice at times too.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:23 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
MIXplorer absolutely handles network shares of various protocols. One of my main uses.

For a typical Windows-type (SMB) share, under the Bookmark list, select "Add storage" and then select LAN.

Documentation is searchable online.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...42&postcount=2

ApK

p.s. Solid can, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrKZvTKCZa0
Thanks. No wonder I couldn't figure it out. ASUS has it built in like ES File Explorer. I prefer the user friendly approach as I've gotten older.

Can you share files to another device? My most favorite feature of ES File Explorer was the send to another mobile device. I'm not talking about Bluetooth.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 05-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Do any of these other recommendations perform app backups (creating apks) like ES does? That's the very last reason I keep it around. I back up my favorite apps before upgrading. That way I can easily roll back to previous versions if something goes pear-shaped. If only I'd done so for ES itself
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:28 PM   #23
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Do any of these other recommendations perform app backups (creating apks) like ES does? That's the very last reason I keep it around. I back up my favorite apps before upgrading. That way I can easily roll back to previous versions if something goes pear-shaped. If only I'd done so for ES itself
MIXplorer does, though I have never used it myself, and i never seemed to have much luck with that feature in ES either. It also has some backup feature which saves the apk and some other files in and .mib file, which I'm guessing is a MIXplorer Backup format of some sort.

Last edited by ApK; 05-08-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #24
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Can you share files to another device? My most favorite feature of ES File Explorer was the send to another mobile device. I'm not talking about Bluetooth.
MIXplorer has several ways built in. It can run an http server or ftp server, or a tcp server, which is a very simple method that apparently is designed to share files specifically with other devices running MIXplorer.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
MIXplorer does, though I have never used it myself, and i never seemed to have much luck with that feature in ES either. It also has some backup feature which saves the apk and some other files in and .mib file, which I'm guessing is a MIXplorer Backup format of some sort.
Thanks. I'll have to check it out. I'm not interested in any of an app's personal/config data being backed up, I just want the apk/installer created from the currently installed app. ES made that very simple for me: select the app(s), tap backup, and the apks were created in the backup folder with the app's version number incorporated into the filename.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:07 PM   #26
ApK

Quote:
Thanks. I'll have to check it out. I'm not interested in any of an app's personal/config data being backed up, I just want the apk/installer created from the currently installed app. ES made that very simple for me: select the app(s), tap backup, and the apks were created in the backup folder with the app's version number incorporated into the filename.
It appears that MIX just displays the lists of user or system apps as apks with version numbers and you can move them by copying and pasting like any file. If you use the backup option, it creates that.mib file.
I guess the idea is it assumes you want the apk if you are looking at your apps with a file manager, so that's how it renders the list.

Last edited by ApK; 05-08-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:53 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It appears that MIX just displays the lists of user or system apps as apks with version numbers and you can move them by copying and pasting like any file. If you use the backup option, it creates that.mib file.
I guess the idea is it assumes you want the apk if you are looking at your apps with a file manager, so that's how it renders the list.
The .mib file appears to be an archive of some kind. It contains the .apk and an empty "extra" folder of some kind. Not sure what that's about.

Seems like a very powerful, fully-featured app, but I find it terribly unintuitive.Took me forever to figure out that my backup job was being queued (and required manual intervention to start). Then I had to find out how to execute queued tasks. Still ... it might be doable for my limited needs. It IS free and nonintrusive.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:06 PM   #28
ApK

Quote:
The .mib file appears to be an archive of some kind. It contains the .apk and an empty "extra" folder of some kind. Not sure what that's about.

Seems like a very powerful, fully-featured app, but I find it terribly unintuitive.Took me forever to figure out that my backup job was being queued (and required manual intervention to start). Then I had to find out how to execute queued tasks. Still ... it might be doable for my limited needs. It IS free and nonintrusive.
Yeah, took me a bit to get used to managing the bookbarks and tabs, and such, and there's probably a few features I'll still need to look up, but now my wife and I both have settled into it and I see no reason yet to look for anything else.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Amaze has this feature. I've yet to find a replacement that does it all so I've downgraded to v4.0.2.3 of ES File Explorer.

Solid is nice but not free but it also does this.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 05-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
MIXplorer has several ways built in. It can run an http server or ftp server, or a tcp server, which is a very simple method that apparently is designed to share files specifically with other devices running MIXplorer.
I just want to open the app, select the file and hit send and on the receiving device have the app open and press receive. Anything else it not user friendly enough. I don't want to jump through hoops. ES File Explorer added sender to replace this feature which had a huge impact on me removing the latest version.

Sent from my Nexus 7