Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
Atomix
Enthusiast
Atomix began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Post My experience on shipping Nook over-seas.

Hello,
I would like to share my experience shipping nook over-seas.
I am from northern Europe, Latvia, so probably everyone knows that barnes&noble do not ship to Europe yet, but as far as I have heard they are planning an international expansion.
So to get the nook across the Atlantic ocean, I used www.shipito.com services, first I compared several of these mail forwarding services (such as usunlocked.com; priceusa.com.au; buyusa.co.nz and many others) and this one gave the lowest estimated shipping & service costs.
I am sharing all this information, because it was quite difficult for me to find all the necessary details on nook's shipment for people outside U.S., so this might come handy for others.
I must add that I ordered nook wi-fi only version for $149. In total it cost me $163.53 (including sales tax). I used their free shipping option, which is standard delivery by DHL globalmail with a tracking number.
Well, DHL services weren't that slow, but it takes a long time for them to update their tracking website.
It took them 4 days to deliver the package from barnes&noble warehouse to shipito.com warehouse.
I ordered the item on July 19, 2010; it was shipped on July 20, 2010 and delivered on July 24, 2010, 11:47 am

Now about shipito.com shipping services - I used USPS Express Mail (5-6 business days), which cost me $34.65. Here is the screenshot for all of the available shipping options, prices are included:

As you can see, you can also use the USPS priority mail, which is a little cheaper - $27.6.
Do not forget that is not the total cost for everything, you also have to pay their service fee ofcourse.
So here is another screenshot of the total cost and everything:

Remember, those $44.64 are the total cost for using shipit.com services (shipping+service fee+bank fee). But you can get a lower total cost, if you use USPS priority mail, I used express, which is a little more expensive, but faster.

The only thing I couldn't find anywhere on the Internet was the actual nook's package dimensions, those are important values, if you want to use these mail forwarding service calculators that estimate the costs of shipping.
So here is the exact nook's package dimensions: 12 x 9 x 3 (inches)
Weight: 1.7367 lbs (by DHL globalmail), but shipito.com rounded those numbers to 1.80 lbs.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask

Last edited by Atomix; 07-25-2010 at 05:27 AM.
Atomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:36 AM   #2
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
purelygadgets sells the nook.

http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk/mainp..._content=69869

£149 and delivered to

"Shipping to European Countries
Currently we deliver orders outside the UK to the following European countries"

Albania
Austria
Belarus
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Belgium
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Rep
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Georgia
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macedonia
Malta
Moldova
Monaco
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland

Last edited by dogsballs; 07-25-2010 at 05:39 AM.
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
Atomix
Enthusiast

You're right, but I just checked their prices and in total it costs more.
£149.95 (which would be 231.25289 U.S. dollars) + Standard Insured Delivery £40.00), so in total you would be paying UK£ 189.95 = 292.94089 U.S. dollars
It would be even cheaper to use amazon.com in this case, they charge $210 + $40 shipping (3G+Wi-Fi version).

I paid $210 in total for everything using that mail forwarder services.
This is kind of sad that B&N haven't got any stores in Europe, I just checked via google earth, that the nearest barnes&noble store from my home is only 3874,58 miles away (6235,53 km)
Old 07-25-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Not quite walking distance, huh?
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomix View Post
You're right, but I just checked their prices and in total it costs more.
£149.95 (which would be 231.25289 U.S. dollars) + Standard Insured Delivery £40.00), so in total you would be paying UK£ 189.95 = 292.94089 U.S. dollars
It would be even cheaper to use amazon.com in this case, they charge $210 + $40 shipping (3G+Wi-Fi version).

I paid $210 in total for everything using that mail forwarder services.
This is kind of sad that B&N haven't got any stores in Europe, I just checked via google earth, that the nearest barnes&noble store from my home is only 3874,58 miles away (6235,53 km)
sorry i was thinking more on what you said about no stores in europe selling the nook rather than on the price differance

are you sure the delivery is £40 that seems quite for the nook?
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
Atomix
Enthusiast

Yeah, I proceeded to the very last step of check-out, they offered me only £40 shipping option, so it's pointless to buy from that store, it is too overpriced.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:52 AM   #7
Elayne
Elayne began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Hi,

I also bought an overseas Nook. It has not arrived yet (hopefully tomorrow). It took me 6 months and last month (at last) I decided to buy the nook. The most important features I have taken into account were the epub format and the possibility of including a SD card.
So... I took almost the very same steps than Atomix. I used Borderlinx instead of Shipito and I cannot say if it was cheaper or not because i ordered a couple of things more and included them in the same package.
I paid with paypal and I had to phone B&N customer service to make sure the Nook was delivered. They knew I was overseas (I suppose they control all the fowarder addresses) and they wanted to highlight I could not buy any book from B&N if I was not in the US. I said I did not care and they sent it.

In case you are interested in buying a nook: Us_unlocked has a very good how-to in this blog: https://www.usunlocked.com/blog/?p=348
Elayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:28 AM   #8
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
How did you pay?
Barnes and Noble won't accept Credit, charge or paypal from accounts with a billing address outside the USA.
Also
Barnes and Noble hold any shipments if you order from a computer using an overseas IP address.

IPmart or Amazon.com marketplace are the only easy way.
I used an Amazon.com marketplace reseller, cost me 169USD + 15 USD postage

Last edited by sarahsbloke; 07-26-2010 at 04:31 AM.
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:42 AM   #9
jankrix
Enthusiast
jankrix began at the beginning.

Device: [Original] Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsbloke View Post
How did you pay?
Barnes and Noble won't accept Credit, charge or paypal from accounts with a billing address outside the USA.
Also
Barnes and Noble hold any shipments if you order from a computer using an overseas IP address.

IPmart or Amazon.com marketplace are the only easy way.
I used an Amazon.com marketplace reseller, cost me 169USD + 15 USD postage
they'll hold the shipping just to confirm that you aware of BN service availability outside US, just couple sentence of email and <5 minute phone call and you're good to go...payment using non US CC is ok, but the billing address should be US, I did and all fine, I use comGateway and I use their address for shipping and billing.
jankrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
Atomix
Enthusiast

Yeah, the website gave me an error when I tried to input foreign billing address. So I just went with the virtual address shipito.com gave me and everything was just fine, my creditcard was charged just as I wanted it to be.
Luckily for me, I didn't need to phone B&N or send an e-mail stating that I'm aware of incapability of purchasing books internationally. (Perhaps they just didn't want to talk to me again, since I had managed to send like 10 e-mails regarding several questions about the nook itself)
Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
jankrix
Enthusiast

Quote:
(Perhaps they just didn't want to talk to me again, since I had managed to send like 10 e-mails regarding several questions about the nook itself)
that's hilarious
Old 07-27-2010, 02:23 AM   #12
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
You didnt buy a cover? Can you get those locally?

And I'm sure BN know that it's easy to buy ebooks from overseas also.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 AM   #13
Elayne
Elayne began at the beginning.

Device: nook
yes, I bought a cover but in this case I sent it directly to France. I do not whether I could buy something similar here, no big culture of ereading for the moment where I live. No news from the post yet (8-22 business days). I paid everything with paypal. No problems with the billing address at all.

If you want to make them think you are anywhere in the USA you can use HotSpot Shield. It is for free and it will let you buy books from B&N.
Elayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:02 AM   #14
Atomix
Enthusiast

Noup, I didn't buy any accessories, because that would definately increase the shipping cost.
I will probably buy a memory card somewhere locally and a bag or something like that from amazon or some other website that doesn't charge too much for shipping.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #15
jankrix
Enthusiast

Quote:
Noup, I didn't buy any accessories, because that would definately increase the shipping cost.
I will probably buy a memory card somewhere locally and a bag or something like that from amazon or some other website that doesn't charge too much for shipping.
I use comGateway, ship Nook and javoedge case (I believe most case weight almost the same) from BN and Amazon...the total weight is 1.5kg round up, the original total weight is 1.2kg, shipping on nook alone to Australia on standard(DHL) if I'm not mistaken about $29, with case $34. Yes it will increase the shipping, but only for several bucks. If you buy the case alone, let say from amazon and ship it directly to australia (I did try to make dummy order) is about $34, case price is $35 (with shipping to comGateway)...so I guess if you have the opportunity to buy the case right with the nook, buy it right away, do not delay...unless you can ship it together with other item to save shipping, you'll pay double to ship to your outside US address, at least with my address with is the opposite side of the world to US (well, not exactly but lets pretend it is ).

Tags
europe, nook dimensions, nook weight, over-seas, shipping