Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
VanillaEps
Enthusiast
VanillaEps began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Book Covers

I just purchased Fight Club from Sony Connect. The book cover shown on the site if the red cover with the fist. When I open the first page on the reader, I find the most miserable cover I have ever seen.

How can I change the book cover?
And why is it NOT the same cover shown on the Sony Connect site?

Thanks for your feedback.
VanillaEps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
All of the ebook sites will usually show the retail cover of a book on the site. It makes it easier to recognize books when you're browsing. Most of the time you don't get the cover on the file though. Sometimes it makes the file much bigger than it needs to be, or it just doesn't look right greyscaled. To get the correct answer though, I'd suggest you contact the Sony store and ask them. Knowing some people care about that may convince them to put the covers back in.

As far as changing it goes, you can't. If it was a non-DRM file you could put it in Calibre and add whatever cover you'd like. Since it's from the Sony store though, it's DRM'd and as far as I know there's no way to change anything about it.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
VanillaEps
Enthusiast
VanillaEps began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo View Post
All of the ebook sites will usually show the retail cover of a book on the site. It makes it easier to recognize books when you're browsing. Most of the time you don't get the cover on the file though. Sometimes it makes the file much bigger than it needs to be, or it just doesn't look right greyscaled. To get the correct answer though, I'd suggest you contact the Sony store and ask them. Knowing some people care about that may convince them to put the covers back in.

As far as changing it goes, you can't. If it was a non-DRM file you could put it in Calibre and add whatever cover you'd like. Since it's from the Sony store though, it's DRM'd and as far as I know there's no way to change anything about it.
Got it. I tried using Calibre and it didn't work. That explains why.

Thanks for the reply.
VanillaEps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
And why is it NOT the same cover shown on the Sony Connect site?
Very often the reason it's not the same cover image shown on the website nor the same as the cover on the printed book is that the publisher didn't purchase the rights to the cover art/design for anything other than the printed versions. This also explains why a reprint edition may have a brand new cover.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
disappointing, isn't it? It's such a small thing, but it does make me sad to see a boring cover where a more exciting one used to be! I find that when I download library books (or from feedbooks) it replaces the cover with a boring white one. *sigh*
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Very often the reason it's not the same cover image shown on the website nor the same as the cover on the printed book is that the publisher didn't purchase the rights to the cover art/design for anything other than the printed versions. This also explains why a reprint edition may have a brand new cover.
That makes me wonder if it's legal (or at leas if it's ethical) to use the cover art they didn't pay for to sell an ebook that the artist won't be paid for.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote