Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Early Retirement Thread

I really don't wnat to work today. Someone say something clever so I can distract myself from dictating notes!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I really don't wnat to work today. Someone say something clever so I can distract myself from dictating notes!
I don't have anything clever to say, but at least you can dictate notes. I have to type all of mine! And retype. And format. (I *hate* Microsoft Word!)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I don't have anything clever to say, but at least you can dictate notes. I have to type all of mine! And retype. And format. (I *hate* Microsoft Word!)
I wish I could type my own. Part of my reluctance to dictate is what the trascription service does to them. Even with my typos (Correctable with spellcheck) I could do a better job.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The docs I work for let the pts talk to the transcriptionists. That's always fun for the typists, but, our pts are kids. It typically goes like this: "Say Hi to Miss Stacy (or whoever is typing)." "Hewwo? Wanna heaw a joke? OK, OK, there is a dog. OK, OK, wait. Hi Miss Stacy! Wanna heaw a song?"

I don't think it would be so cute if a grumpy old adult pt was doing it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
"something clever."

Quote:
sing it, sistah. ms word may just be the devil in form of software. shout "vade retro !" at your computer, and let me know what happens.

notes... i usually just scribble mine. of course, sometimes i have to retype them, to send by mail. *sigh* i can't dictate them to anyone either. i tried dictating to the cat, but even she can't read her own handwriting, so that was pointless. plus she uses some weird feline shorthand, i don't know where she picked it up, it's completely incomprehensible.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
The docs I work for let the pts talk to the transcriptionists. That's always fun for the typists, but, our pts are kids. It typically goes like this: "Say Hi to Miss Stacy (or whoever is typing)." "Hewwo? Wanna heaw a joke? OK, OK, there is a dog. OK, OK, wait. Hi Miss Stacy! Wanna heaw a song?"

I don't think it would be so cute if a grumpy old adult pt was doing it.
Well, with my patients, that might be somewhat amusing, if not scary.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Try Dragon Naturally Speaking? You'd still have to dictate, but you'd be able to see and fix what the "transcription service" was doing to them. My kids are using it, and it's working pretty well for them....

Other than that, all I can suggest is seeing if you can find a Newton Messagepad 2000. The handwriting recognition on those worked surprisingly well, despite all the jokes about earlier versions. And the batteries would last weeks. Less distracting than using a tablet PC, I would think, but perhaps not in your situation.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just want to say that I was "enforceably retired" in May last year. I've got to say, it's quite enjoyable once you get used to the entire concept of not working (which so far has taken 14 months and counting...).

Cheers,
Marc (MR is my work-substitute)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i don't think i would need any adjustment period to the "not-working concept". i have a much harder time adjusting to the "must-work" concept.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:23 PM   #10
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i don't think i would need any adjustment period to the "not-working concept". i have a much harder time adjusting to the "must-work" concept.
Nor did I. It's surprisingly difficult. I've realised I might have to start scheduling my leisure, just to get anything pleasurable done (as enjoyable as MR is, I'm starting to wear a dent in this sofa).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Nor did I. It's surprisingly difficult. I've realised I might have to start scheduling my leisure, just to get anything pleasurable done (as enjoyable as MR is, I'm starting to wear a dent in this sofa).

Cheers,
Marc
heh... actually, i could foresee that being a problem for me too... mr is my work substitute too, and i'm not retired yet.

on the other hand, i'm positive i'd never get bored.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #12
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Here's something clever. Just 31 more working days until retirement.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
What's to like about it, I wonder....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
"something clever."

sing it, sistah. ms word may just be the devil in form of software. shout "vade retro !" at your computer, and let me know what happens.

notes... i usually just scribble mine. of course, sometimes i have to retype them, to send by mail. *sigh* i can't dictate them to anyone either. i tried dictating to the cat, but even she can't read her own handwriting, so that was pointless. plus she uses some weird feline shorthand, i don't know where she picked it up, it's completely incomprehensible.
Try a scanner, that way you can keep you neat handwriting...

Quote:
I just want to say that I was "enforceably retired" in May last year. I've got to say, it's quite enjoyable once you get used to the entire concept of not working (which so far has taken 14 months and counting...).

Cheers,
Marc (MR is my work-substitute)
Mine was August last year, at the 'tender' age of 53 (yikes)...So you've had more practice than I...

Quote:

Cheers,
Marc
Get yersel a hobby...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Here's something clever. Just 31 more working days until retirement.
Problem is you won't have enough time, then, to do all those things you dreamed of doing...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I've got buckets of things to do that I currently squeeze into evenings and weekends and vacations. If I weren't responsible for bringing home the mortgage and food money, I'd spend all day doing these things.

Well, and MR, too, of course.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I've got buckets of things to do that I currently squeeze into evenings and weekends and vacations. If I weren't responsible for bringing home the mortgage and food money, I'd spend all day doing these things.

Well, and MR, too, of course.
*sigh* yep... well, rent money, for me, although i dream of one day having a mortgage.

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, unutterable silliness