Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Samsung Smartwatch announced

What is the point of a smartwatch? A $300 watch that no doubt has to be charged often and doesn't do phone stuff?!

Quote:
The $299 Gear watch is not a phone. Instead, it links up with Samsung's Galaxy smartphones and tablets to let users know when they receive a call, text message or e-mail. from CNN Money
As far as I can see it doesn't do anything that a smartphone doesn't do, except fit on your wrist. And it requires a smartphone, specifically a Samsung one, or tablet. For $300 I can get a very nice conventional watch that never needs charging and just allow my smarthone to notify me when I get an email, text message, or phone call.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-04-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Yes Jack,

Being a gadget geek, I'd kind of like to have a smart watch but I think Samsung dropped the ball by linking it so tightly to their Galaxy phones. It sounds like they’re trying to take a page out of Apple’s playbook. And $300 is a bit on the spendy (Applesque again) side when you can get a Pebble for half of that.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
What is the point of a smartwatch? A $300 watch that no doubt has to be charged often and doesn't do phone stuff?!

As far as I can see it doesn't do anything that a smartphone doesn't do, except fit on your wrist. And it requires a smartphone, specifically a Samsung one, or tablet. For $300 I can get a very nice conventional watch that never needs charging and just allow my smarthone to notify me when I get an email, text message, or phone call.
It saves you from having to reach all the way into your pocket to look at your phone. Life's short enough without wasting needless energy doing so
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
No GPS = Fail. MotoACTV 2 with better water resistance is what I was waiting for. But it will probably never happen, gimmick watches like this will ruin the market for anything truly useful.

I can see the point of watches you can get notifications on without taking your phone out of your pocket. But this thing doesn't do enough for what it costs, and much of what it does do is pointless on a watch. Very disappointed.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Yes Jack,

Being a gadget geek, I'd kind of like to have a smart watch but I think Samsung dropped the ball by linking it so tightly to their Galaxy phones. It sounds like they’re trying to take a page out of Apple’s playbook. And $300 is a bit on the spendy (Applesque again) side when you can get a Pebble for half of that.
Samsung wants to be the Asian Apple
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Yes Jack,

Yes they did. And to be fair, I wouldn't want an Apple smartwatch either. I'm just not that lazy yet, but getting close. Now a Dick Tracy style smartwatch might be cool!!!

Last edited by jswinden; 09-04-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
No GPS = Fail.
GPS is very power-hungry. That may well be the reason it doesn't have it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I'll pass on this. Don't see the point since I have my HTC One with me the majority of the time.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sure that is exactly why it doesn't have a cellular radio either.

This whole concept reminds me of the ill fated Palm Folio which never even made it to market. The difference being that the Folio offered a much larger screen for your Treo phone whereas this device just offers, well actually nothing much... Oh look, for $300 I don't have to pull out my phone to see who called, texted, or emailed me.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That plus the phones that it connects to already have location services. Having two GPSes (GPSs?) is not only unnecessary, but not very smart for exactly the reason you stated.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #11
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
That plus the phones that it connects to already have location services. Having two GPSes (GPSs?) is not only unnecessary, but not very smart for exactly the reason you stated.
The reason people still spend $300-400 on sports watches is so they don't have to carry their phones with them. Especially in inclement weather.

There is a significant market for this as evidenced by the many expensive specialized GPS watches available: Garmin, Nike, Polar, TomTom, Suunto, Timex, etc. What these people want is GPS, music, heartrate, and bluetooth in a reasonably priced compact waterproof package. MotoACTV came very close and only cost $200. Had they ironed out the bugs and made it waterproof it would have dominated that market.

Instead Google cancels it and now we get gimmick watches that are little more than toys. I'm not an Apple fan, but I dearly hope they aren't as dense as Google, Samsung, and Sony.

Last edited by pl001; 09-04-2013 at 04:45 PM.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Ridiculous pricing. My GoPhone with a slightly bigger screen/more pixels and same processor was only $80. The band cannot possibly be $100 more.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
My problem is the thing is an eyesore.

If I'm going to wear a thing on my wrist, I want something simple and beautiful.

https://www.dezeenwatchstore.com/shop/danish-design/
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I would be interested in a smartwatch that is simply a window to my phone - it notifies me when I have a call, SMS, email, or other notifications, and lets me control some stuff, like music playback (select song, skip and such).

Samsung have yet again thrown the kitchen sink to it, it tries to do too much (a camera on a watch, FFS!), has a piss poor battery life and is locked to Samsung devices. Samsung's kitchen sink approach to everything they develop may well be their downfall, plus their apple-wannabe attitude to price things way over their fair value (smartwatch and Tab 7/8, I'm looking at you) isn't helping.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
My problem is the thing is an eyesore.

If I'm going to wear a thing on my wrist, I want something simple and beautiful.

https://www.dezeenwatchstore.com/shop/danish-design/
Same here; only we have much different tastes in beauty