Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-18-2013, 04:02 AM   #16
Odins_child
Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Thanks a bunch!
Odins_child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #17
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Currently set at free.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've always thought Angels & Demons was a "better" Brown book. And since there's no real point in reading any more than one Dan Brown book (the formula never changes), that's the one I always recommend. I love conspiracy thrillers. Their ridiculous implausibilty is all part of the attraction for me. The fact that an author may claim his/her research was intense and impeccable has no bearing on whether I enjoy their improbable fictional romp. Just like I can still enjoy a magic show knowing full well that I was lied to about audience members being planted and "no mirrors were used." It's over-the-top, ridiculous fiction... and I've given authors of the subgenre permission to lie to me about its authenticity. It's part of the show.

Enjoy the book if you can; put it it down if you can't. But there's certainly no real reason not to simply ignore the hype, and at least start a book and decide for yourself whether you should continue reading it. Especially if you got it for free. Unless as someone already mentioned, you don't like conspiracy thrillers in general, how much trauma could a couple of chapters of a free book cause you?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-18-2013 at 08:53 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've always thought Angels & Demons was a "better" Brown book. And since there's no real point in reading any more than [i]one[/] Dan Brown book (the formula never changes), that's the one I always recommend. I love conspiracy thrillers. Their ridiculous implausibilty is all part of the attraction for me. The fact that an author may claim his/her research was intense and impeccable has no bearing on whether I enjoy their improbable fictional romp. Just like I can still enjoy a magic show knowing full well that I was lied to about audience members being planted and "no mirrors were used." It's over-the-top, ridiculous fiction... and I've given authors of the subgenre permission to lie to me about its authenticity. It's part of the show.
That's a nice and fun attitude.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #20
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
"This is Unix. I know Unix." At the time, I had a Silicon Graphics machine as my workstation and the interface was nothing like what they showed.
Except that WAS a real available 3D file explorer, you not using it (OK, virtually no one using except for demos) notwithstanding.
My problem with her character was that she was utterly useless and incompetent in everything else she did. She was like a kid training to be a '40s-serial-style damsel in distress. In the book her character was far less helpless.

Dan Brown lost me with Digital Fortress ( it seems he apparently did no further cryptography research....) but I did enjoy the Davinci Code movie.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #21
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Except that WAS a real available 3D file explorer, you not using it (OK, virtually no one using except for demos) notwithstanding.
There's a good reason it never made it out of demo usage, using it meant you were slow which leads to risk of been eaten by raptors. Had they gone with a classical unix shell she could have instead spent 10 minutes editing config files, likely also getting eaten by said raptors

Quote:
My problem with her character was that she was utterly useless and incompetent in everything else she did. She was like a kid training to be a '40s-serial-style damsel in distress. In the book her character was far less helpless.
Agreed. I enjoyed the film, but thought the book version was a lot better. That's even more so for the lost world.

Quote:
Dan Brown lost me with Digital Fortress ( it seems he apparently did no further cryptography research....) but I did enjoy the Davinci Code movie.
I enjoyed the movie more than the book for the Davinci code
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
"Free E-'Da Vinci Code' offered until March 24"

http://news.yahoo.com/free-e-da-vinc...133853813.html
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not free at Amazon UK.

BTW, I know it's hardly great literature, but I thoroughly enjoyed TDVC. A cracking good "page turner", regardless of its historical inaccuracies.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #24
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Thanks for sharing! I got it for free at Amazon.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #25
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've always thought Angels & Demons was a "better" Brown book. And since there's no real point in reading any more than one Dan Brown book (the formula never changes), that's the one I always recommend. I love conspiracy thrillers. Their ridiculous implausibilty is all part of the attraction for me. The fact that an author may claim his/her research was intense and impeccable has no bearing on whether I enjoy their improbable fictional romp. Just like I can still enjoy a magic show knowing full well that I was lied to about audience members being planted and "no mirrors were used." It's over-the-top, ridiculous fiction... and I've given authors of the subgenre permission to lie to me about its authenticity. It's part of the show.

Enjoy the book if you can; put it it down if you can't. But there's certainly no real reason not to simply ignore the hype, and at least start a book and decide for yourself whether you should continue reading it. Especially if you got it for free. Unless as someone already mentioned, you don't like conspiracy thrillers in general, how much trauma could a couple of chapters of a free book cause you?
I don't claim that the book traumatized me. Of course, I can't definitively rule it out either. I snagged the book even though I'll probably never read it again. Free is free. It's also another hardcover that I can dispose of. (I hate to lose access to a book once I've gotten it.)

It was clear early on that I would make a better assassin than the one in the book. That killed the book for me from the beginning. I, even in my deteriorated state, would still make a better assassin. Maybe he should've turned it into a comedy with a crippled assassin who uses a Wiffle bat. Hey! Dan. Call me. We'll do a book. I'll bring the Wiffle. You bring the conspiracy. It'll be a monster.

I can thank the book for leading me to read a few of the books that debunked it. I already knew a lot of the history but more is always good.

I had already read Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Baigent, Leigh, and Lincoln. $7.99 for Kindle. Much more fun.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What the hell is the point of "debunking" fiction?

I read Holy Blood, Holy Grail long before TDVC was published, too. I found it quite interesting, but not in the least bit "thrilling."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #27
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I can thank the book for leading me to read a few of the books that debunked it. I already knew a lot of the history but more is always good.
Although I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code, I enjoyed just as much the books I read debunking it - and it was history I never would have read otherwise. Knowledge did not besmirch the memory of my enjoyment of the book nor will it deter me from eventually reading it again.

BTW, very funny post, Fluribus.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #28
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:

I, too, found Angels and Demons a better read than TDVC although I enjoyed it as well. Both were pure entertainment and a break from the (mostly) nonfiction I read.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #29
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What the hell is the point of "debunking" fiction?
A bunch of readers believed the "history" that Dan Brown researched so thoroughly. Maybe some people will be drawn to learn the real history.

Quote:
I read Holy Blood, Holy Grail long before TDVC was published, too. I found it quite interesting, but not in the least bit "thrilling."
Unfortunately, I didn't find The Da Vinci Code to be either.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #30
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
That's about how I felt when watching Jurassic Park for the first time when Ariana Richards' character sat in front of a Silicon Graphics workstation and said "This is Unix. I know Unix." At the time, I had a Silicon Graphics machine as my workstation and the interface was nothing like what they showed.

As you say, entertaining for the masses, but not for the people who have more in depth knowledge about the subject matter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsn
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote