Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
How do you hide the fonts you don't want to use see? By the way, thanks for the USE_ALT_FONTS trick! Love it!

You can only remove the user installed fonts. But once you delete the fonts from the Kindle, you do have to restart.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #77
randomzombie
Enthusiast
randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.

Device: current: Aura HD
Hi! Just wanted to say that I, too, quite like the Charis SIL, BUT! The space between lines is a bit too wide for my liking, even at the lowest line spacing. How would I go about amending this? Thanks for any help in advance!
randomzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #78
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I now have Amasis (modified), Trebuchet (modified), Nokia Pure (modified), Segoe Semi and Charis SIL on my PW. I've been too busying playing with fonts seeing what looks good. Now I need one more nice Serif font as most are Sans Serif. I like the Condensed version Caecilia but it needs more weight.
Blossom,where do you get these modified fonts? (I love playing with fonts)

Thanks,
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #79
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Blossom,where do you get these modified fonts? (I love playing with fonts)

Thanks,
I modified them with Font Creator Pro. It's an expensive program but hubby got it from school when he took a Typography class and had to make his own font.

As to where I got them let's see Trebuchet I got from my Kindle Fire it's also on my Windows so it may come with something. Nokia Pure I found in a theme for Android on the net. Segoe Semi I got years ago when Microsoft was promoting their new font suite they put up the family for a limited time. Amasis is the old Nook's font that someone modified for eInk.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #80
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
How do you hide the fonts you don't want to use see? By the way, thanks for the USE_ALT_FONTS trick! Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can only remove the user installed fonts. But once you delete the fonts from the Kindle, you do have to restart.
You can disable fonts by editing a file on root partition. Requires jailbreak and usb network. See this post, but careful, that is definately not something you want to do if you are not comfortable going that deep into your Kindle.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #81
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Is there any way to add font sizes without rooting? There are several fonts that I really like, but I don't like using them on my Kindle Paperwhite because all of the available sizes are either too small, or too big while using that font. Fanwood Text, for instance, a font I like to use on my Kindle Keyboard, appears too large on my Paperwhite.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I modified them with Font Creator Pro. It's an expensive program but hubby got it from school when he took a Typography class and had to make his own font.
Did you do the mods by hand or use the auto features?

What's the best way to remove the spacing at the bottom of the font so the lines are closer together?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #83
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Hi guys, I finally got around to adding custom fonts as well. News that this is possible without a jailbreak just reached me today - thanks you to all of you who shared this!

Adobe Garamond Pro in size 6 looks like real print in a pbook, but it could be a tad heavier.
How do you make a font heavier?

Also, for any dyslexic readers out there, I stumbled over the Open Dyslexic font.

I wonder if non-dyslexic readers would benefit from using that font as well. It may be easier for the brain to process independently from ones condition.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #84
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

What's the best way to remove the spacing at the bottom of the font so the lines are closer together?
I use the Auto Feature. I'm just learning. I have no idea on how to move the lines closer.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #85
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Hi guys, I finally got around to adding custom fonts as well. News that this is possible without a jailbreak just reached me today - thanks you to all of you who shared this!

Adobe Garamond Pro in size 6 looks like real print in a pbook, but it could be a tad heavier.
How do you make a font heavier?

Also, for any dyslexic readers out there, I stumbled over the Open Dyslexic font.

I wonder if non-dyslexic readers would benefit from using that font as well. It may be easier for the brain to process independently from ones condition.
You need a font creating program like Font Creator Pro to add more weight.

I am dyslexic but that font is horrible.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #86
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hey Blossom, good shout on the Amasis font, it looks great on my PW.

Any idea what modifications I need to make to it to make it like Barty's? Or what are any other recommended mods to it for using on e-ink?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #87
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:

I don't know how to change the line spacing but there is a compact version of Charis SIL that may help:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...nload#1c0705f5
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post
I don't know how to change the line spacing but there is a compact version of Charis SIL that may help:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...nload#1c0705f5
On a Kindle with a Mobi eBook, the line height make no difference at all.

But on an eInk Kindle that supports KF8, Charis SIL Compact is much better. So, I will put together a modified version of Charis SIL Compact (and one for small caps) and post the link here in this thread.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #89
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
Is there any way to add font sizes without rooting? There are several fonts that I really like, but I don't like using them on my Kindle Paperwhite because all of the available sizes are either too small, or too big while using that font. Fanwood Text, for instance, a font I like to use on my Kindle Keyboard, appears too large on my Paperwhite.
No sorry, not that I am aware of. Right now the only way to do that is by jailbreaking and installing JBPatch. For me the biggest benefit of JBPatch is the ability to reduce margins for mobi books, and of course hyphenation.

Ixtab, you rock. Have one on me:
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #90
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You can disable fonts by editing a file on root partition. Requires jailbreak and usb network. See this post, but careful, that is definately not something you want to do if you are not comfortable going that deep into your Kindle.
Thanks DuckieTigger. I'll make do with the extra fonts - the jailbreak & USB network stuff is not for me!

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote