Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #1
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
Authors like Jack McDevitt?

One of my most favorite SF authors is Jack McDevitt. I'm currently reading his latest, Coming Home, and I'm craving more McDevitt. Unfortunately, I've read most everything I can find that he wrote.

Can anyone suggest another author who has the same writing style? I've found over the years that it's more the way he tells the story than the subject he's writing about that I enjoy.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I like Jack McDevitt's books too, and I agree it is more about how he tells the story than the subject that makes him fun to read.

I don't know any other authors that are very similar in style, but some that come to mind when I think of fun storytelling are:

- Robert J. Sawyer (Mindscan, Calculating God)
- Joe Haldeman (Camouflage, The Accidental Time Machine)
- Robert Charles Wilson (The Chronoliths, Blind Lake)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Go to Literature Map (http//www.literature-map.com) and enter Jack's name in the widow that appears, then hit Enter. A new window will open with Jack's name in the middle and numerous authors arrayed around him. The physically closer and author is, the more like Jack he is

Last edited by MickeyC; 02-01-2015 at 10:36 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Go to Literature Map (http://www.literature-map.com) and enter Jack's name in the widow that appears, then hit Enter. A new window will open with Jack's name in the middle and numerous authors arrayed around him. The physically closer and author is, the more like Jack he is
Soory, but that site cannot be trusted to give results that are not ridiculous. I put in Jack McDevitt and got some really stupid results such as Madonna, Al Gore, Jon Stewart, and Stephen Colbert.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
True but they do occasionally get it right. I usually check them out then look elsewhere just to be sure.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2015, 05:05 PM   #6
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
I've read and enjoyed books by Joe Haldeman and Robert Sawyer. I don't remember reading anything by Wilson, so I'll have to check him out.

The map looks interesting. I'll try that next.

Thanks everyone!
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote