Notices

Old 01-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #16
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
However, and I *keep* pointing this out in various threads, BookDesigner *WILL* create .prc files as well as *basic* Palmdoc .pdb files so what's the problem? It's *FREE* and if you scoot over to the Sony Reader part of these forums, you'll find download links to it.
As I said, I work on a Mac, don't have a Windows machine (only a virtual one). As far as I can tell, BookDesigner is Windows-only. And I would just like to create my books on the Mac.

*THAT* is the problem
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #17
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelheid View Post
As I said, I work on a Mac, don't have a Windows machine (only a virtual one). As far as I can tell, BookDesigner is Windows-only. And I would just like to create my books on the Mac.

*THAT* is the problem
I take it you have an older Mac with the Motorola processor set, not one of the newer ones with the Intel Core 2? Because with the newer ones it's possible to install WinXP into its own drive partition and dual-boot. Perhaps an el-cheapo used notebook PC might be the solution??? That is, if you have a lot of ebooks to format.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #18
adelheid
Zealot

I think you miss my point. As I have mentioned, I have a virtual Windows machine on my Mac, I use Mobipocket Creator right now.

What I *WANT* is to work on my Mac, and not be forced to switch when I want to create an ebook. That's all.

Up to now, I had a Palm M515 as my ebook reader. I am used to being able to create my books on the Mac. I would wish to be able to continue to do so.

Last edited by adelheid; 01-18-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I think you miss my point. As I have mentioned, I have a virtual Windows machine on my Mac, I use Mobipocket Creator right now.

What I *WANT* is to work on my Mac, and not be forced to switch when I want to create an ebook. That's all.

Up to now, I had a Palm M515 as my ebook reader. I am used to being able to create my books on the Mac. I would wish to be able to continue to do so.
There are programs for a MAC that will create Palm Doc format. MAC Palm DOC is one of them. PorDible is another and makeDocDD is a third. Google is your friend.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #20
adelheid
Zealot

I have used Pordible. I have tried them all. But only Ebook Studio/DropBook can create files with chaptering, headings and footnotes and all, as far as I know. The output of the other tools is not much different from plain text files (which I can read on the Cybook just fine, after all, no need for conversion).

I don't insist on the PalmDoc format at all. I just want to be able to create ebooks, on the Mac, with chapters, headings, footnotes. Any format will do, as long as it is readable on the Cybook and doesn't require switching to Windows.

If it is not possible, then it is not possible.

I would still like to know however, how anyone was able to read Ebook Studio formatted pdb's on the Cybook. That was my original question.

Last edited by adelheid; 01-18-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Advert
Old 01-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I have used Pordible. But it can't create files with chaptering, headings and footnotes and all. They are not much different from plain text files (which I can read on the Cybook just fine, after all).
PalmDoc does not support these things although there is support in some versions for bookmarks which can be used to provide 'toc' chapter links. PalmDoc does provide compression and paragraph line wrapping but that is about it.

dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #22
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I don't insist on the PalmDoc format at all. I just want to be able to create ebooks, on the Mac, with chapters, headings, footnotes. Any format will do, as long as it is readable on the Cybook and doesn't require switching to Windows.
Maybe there are tools for creating HTML files with the properties you want? You cannot have images then. For that you currently need some HTML to Mobipocket converter. And for that you can always try to get Mobiperl to work on a Mac (and if you do get it to work please tell me so I can add that in the documentation...).

Hopefully images will be supported in HTML files in a future update of the firmware.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:54 AM   #23
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have used Pordible. I have tried them all. But only Ebook Studio/DropBook can create files with chaptering, headings and footnotes and all, as far as I know. The output of the other tools is not much different from plain text files (which I can read on the Cybook just fine, after all, no need for conversion).

If it is not possible, then it is not possible.

I would still like to know however, how anyone was able to read Ebook Studio formatted pdb's on the Cybook. That was my original question.
Well, as I said, I *have* been able to read them on mine, so you may well wish to talk to Bookeen about getting a firmware patch. As for chaptering... BookDesigner does that just fine. Never needed headers and footnotes in the novels I read, so I've never really checked out what BD will do in that area.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #24
adelheid
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
you can always try to get Mobiperl to work on a Mac (and if you do get it to work please tell me so I can add that in the documentation...).
Yes, I think I will invest time in getting that to work on the Mac. I will let you know how it works out.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:02 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Well, as I said, I *have* been able to read them on mine, so you may well wish to talk to Bookeen about getting a firmware patch. As for chaptering... BookDesigner does that just fine. Never needed headers and footnotes in the novels I read, so I've never really checked out what BD will do in that area.
Are you sure that you're not mistaken about the software, Derek? I've done a little checking, and "EBook Studio" is a program specifically for producing "eReader" format books. See:

http://www.ereader.com/products/ebookstudio

The CyBook has never been able to read eReader books. In fact, no eInk device will read this format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

The problem seems to be that the OS X is not all that well supported.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #27
adelheid
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you sure that you're not mistaken about the software, Derek? I've done a little checking, and "EBook Studio" is a program specifically for producing "eReader" format books. See:

The CyBook has never been able to read eReader books. In fact, no eInk device will read this format.
Hence my question
Old 01-19-2008, 08:35 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Doesn't FBReader read PDB without DRM? If so, then the iLiad has the ability to read eReader format as long as there is no DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:42 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"PDB" is not a format, Jon. You can have ANY type of information in a PDB file.

FBReader will read PalmDoc and MobiPocket files. I don't believe it'll read eReader files; I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:24 AM   #30
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:

See... That's the problem with not having a current-firmware-version Cybook to hand. The one I'm nursing along in hopes of getting it updated has such old firmware (0.91) that it won't read *anything* but non-secure mobipocket files or plain text files. I can't test any of my html or pdb-stored ebooks to see.

As soon as I stumbled across BookDesigner, I switched from eBook Studio to BD because I really wanted to be able to create pdb-Palmdoc, prc-Palmdoc, Sony lrf and MS-Reader lit files and I couldn't do that with eBook Studio. Thus, I have a mixture of eBook Studio pdb and BD pdb ebooks. (And for the definition Nazis here, I'm calling them ebooks as a shorthand from writing 'html or text ebooks stuffed into the pdb file structure' because that's what *EVERY* ordinary person does. )

Derek