Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
sunfish62
sunfish62 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Reload not working?

I'm puzzled. I have a new Fire, and I decided to try a Project Gutenberg title (Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen), just to test out how to use the new toy.

I was able to get the book into Calibre (0.8.32) and uploaded to the Fire using a USB cable. The book appears in my Fire library and is readable. However, the Fire library shows an undifferentiated blue blob image instead of a cover.

So, I used the Edit Metadata window to search for a better cover, and put that in place. I then asked Calibre to reload the book, but it didn't seem to do anything. I examine the job log, and they are all 0m 0s for this book.

I have removed the book from the Kindle library every way I can figure out--using the Kindle Remove from Device, going in to the filesystem from my Mac, even deleting it entirely in Calibre.

I have been able in the meantime to find other Gutenberg titles, insert new images into the metadata, and load them into the Kindle library, and they all show with the changed images.

For some reason, Calibre won't try to reload this book. It's almost like Calibre knows it already uploaded this book, and it refuses to do the work again. Can anyone offer me suggestions on what to try next?

TIA,
David
sunfish62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfish62 View Post
I'm puzzled. I have a new Fire, and I decided to try a Project Gutenberg title (Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen), just to test out how to use the new toy.

I was able to get the book into Calibre (0.8.32) and uploaded to the Fire using a USB cable. The book appears in my Fire library and is readable. However, the Fire library shows an undifferentiated blue blob image instead of a cover.

So, I used the Edit Metadata window to search for a better cover, and put that in place. I then asked Calibre to reload the book, but it didn't seem to do anything. I examine the job log, and they are all 0m 0s for this book.

I have removed the book from the Kindle library every way I can figure out--using the Kindle Remove from Device, going in to the filesystem from my Mac, even deleting it entirely in Calibre.

I have been able in the meantime to find other Gutenberg titles, insert new images into the metadata, and load them into the Kindle library, and they all show with the changed images.

For some reason, Calibre won't try to reload this book. It's almost like Calibre knows it already uploaded this book, and it refuses to do the work again. Can anyone offer me suggestions on what to try next?

TIA,
David
I would post in the Calibre forum for help. I think you would get more help there.

My first idea it to restart the Fire and try again.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
Maybe once you've got the data set correctly just manually copy the file into the correct folder on the Kindle?
Morpheus Phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
sunfish62
sunfish62 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Blossom-- Thanks. I thought I was. The Calibre page linked to this site, and I saw the forums for different devices, and posted here.

I have rebooted, a bunch of times, and I have copied things in several times manually as well.

Thanks.
David
sunfish62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Don't you have to "re-convert" the book to attach the new cover? Convert from mobi to mobi after adding the new cover to the metadata? And then re-download?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Don't you have to "re-convert" the book to attach the new cover? Convert from mobi to mobi after adding the new cover to the metadata? And then re-download?

Yes but he can't get Calibre to send the book to the KF after he removed the first copy. I am sure this is a Calibre issue. He could sideload the book and that would work but it's best to let Kovid know of this issue so it can be fixed if possible.

I don't use Calibre to load my books. I sideload everything with Dropbox.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote