Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Anyone ever see PAGE numbers?

I'm just curious if anyone has ever seen PAGE numbers rather than location numbers? I've read a lot of Kindle books since page numbers were supposed to have been enabled, but I've yet to find a book that has them. I assume the publisher has to enable them, so perhaps the books have to be very newly published. But at any rate I was just curious if anyone has ever seen them.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm just curious if anyone has ever seen PAGE numbers rather than location numbers? I've read a lot of Kindle books since page numbers were supposed to have been enabled, but I've yet to find a book that has them. I assume the publisher has to enable them, so perhaps the books have to be very newly published. But at any rate I was just curious if anyone has ever seen them.

Thanks
Yes, press the "menu" key and "page x of y" should appear at the bottom of the page. It is not visible at all times. Any book with this line: "Page Numbers Source ISBN: xxxxxxxxxx" in the description has the page number file available. The page number files download automatically when the wireless is enabled.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
From what I've seen, very few Kindle books have page numbers. One that does is Darkest Child: A Novel by Delores Phillips. You probably know this, but you do have to press the Menu button in order to see the page numbers displayed.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
If the kindle book has page number it will list this in the details,
Page Numbers Source ISBN:

I was under the impression that all new books would have page numbers and it was over time being added to older titles. That does not seem to be the case, two new releases I bought did not have page numbers, though a couple weeks after release one of them did.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quite a few of my books have page numbers but I don't think the indie books will often have them, if at all. If there isn't a hardcover edition, it definitely won't.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I have seen them, but not in all of my books.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool most

i see them on most of my books of which ~90% are side-loaded mobies.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Thanks for the replies. Yes I know to press Menu. I keep hoping that one of my new books will have page numbers rather than just location numbers. I definitely don't think it is as prevalent as Amazon thought it would be. Even pseudo page numbers would be much better than location numbers. Location numbers are too big to remember. For example, it is easier to remember you are on page 105 of 700 than it is location 2458 of 15046. Smaller amounts are easier to remember, at least for me. So i wish Amazon would come up with formula to estimate page numbers like ADE does. Perhaps divide the locations by 20 or 25. As long as they remain consistent among devices so you can easily find your position in the book, anything would be better than those large location numbers IMO.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Location numbers are too big to remember. For example, it is easier to remember you are on page 105 of 700 than it is location 2458 of 15046. Smaller amounts are easier to remember, at least for me.
Why on earth would you ever need to remember what location number you are on? That's what bookmarks and annotations are for.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Why on earth would you ever need to remember what location number you are on? That's what bookmarks and annotations are for.
I read on two different devices and page/location syncing is rarely an option as I sideload my books after modifying them. When reading on my Android phone I prefer to convert to ePub and use FBReader because it is much better than the Kindle for Android app as it allows more formatting control and I can sideload my fonts.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
On some books it shows up, on others not so much.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I read on two different devices and page/location syncing is rarely an option as I sideload my books after modifying them. When reading on my Android phone I prefer to convert to ePub and use FBReader because it is much better than the Kindle for Android app as it allows more formatting control and I can sideload my fonts.
You read the same book on two different devices even when the ebook in question can't/won't/doesn't automatically stay in sync? That's way too much work for me, man. If it can't sync... then I'm only reading that book on one device. That would just be painful.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I do the same thing. I convert to epub for my Andriod phone and mobi for my K3. The synch thing doesn't bother me. I usually stop reading at a chapter or I open the phone up and look for a key word to search for on my K3.

I use Mantano though not FBReader
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #14
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
The current book I am reading, The Pharos Objective by David Sakmyster, is the first book I remember seeing it in. And it was very slightly annoying. I always start with the free samples and then when I find something interesting enough to buy, I note the location number at the end of the sample so I can jump there in the full book. So I noted the location number and did my usual thing and discovered this one had a choice of goto page or goto location and I picked the wrong one. Since the location numbers are so much larger, it jumped straight to the end of the book. I think I wasted at least 15 precious seconds of my life figuring what had happened and then re-entering the location I wanted.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:50 AM   #15
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Few of my Amazon-purchased books have page numbers. But for side-loaded non-DRM books, I can get page numbers by converting them in calibre, then loading onto the kindle. (Even if it's already a mobi or prc, go ahead and convert to mobi, and you'll get page numbers.)
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote