Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
jayhjay
jayhjay began at the beginning.

Device: nook
If you add a book more than once is each version unique (aka- will this work)?

I have had some library problems where some of my book files are missing. I have metadata and see it in Calibre, but the actual book file (epub, pdf) is not there. After chatting on this forum I concluded there is no way to retrieve these other than manually re-adding the books to get the book file.

So now I have a couple of questions for integrating these books into the library. I have an original file/folder in my Calibre library with my customized metadata, cover image, and no book file. Then I have a second version of the same book folder with the default metadata, cover image, and book file.

Is it possible to just cut and paste the new folder's book file into the original folder (presumably saving me from having to redo the metadata) and then delete the (now empty) new folder? I wasn't sure if that would work b/c each version is uniquely numbered.

If this doesn't work, and I end up having to redo the metadata on the newly added version (and then delete the original empty one), what about the books already on my nook? I assume I then have to also delete the old version on my device and add the new one b/c it won't be numbered the same as the newer version in Calibre. Is that right?

I am trying to figure out how to do this as simply as possible but I don't' want to end up with a mess of different versions.

Thanks!
jayhjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the merge books feature (click the arrow next to the edit metadata button)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
jayhjay

Yeah! Thanks! That will save me a lot of effort.

I assume then that I don't need to do anything with what is already on my nook? I don't need to replace those versions with my newly merged ones?

I appreciate your help and your fast response.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Note that if you have an existing book entry, then you can add/remove formats via the Edit metadata dialog. This might be easier than creating another book entry and then trying to merge the old and new ones?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
jayhjay

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately, I already re-added most of the books so merging looks like my best bet at this point. But I will try that for the handful I still have left to do.

Does anyone know how (or if) these changes will affect the books already on my device?
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Note that if you have an existing book entry, then you can add/remove formats via the Edit metadata dialog. This might be easier than creating another book entry and then trying to merge the old and new ones?

I do this, think its the same.
If I have a entry with image and meta data but no format - I just go to the edit window, and drag the relevant book over to the little window.
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote