Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 03:48 AM   #211
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Today's the last day to return my device. I have until 9:00pm (central)
Even if you do not return it, you can always sell it through ebay to Europe.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:58 AM   #212
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
The device doesn't know what you doing with it.
Well, actually, it does.
Many other devices have "last read" list.
The algorithm could be very simple.
- you opened the book AND flipped at least 2 pages, the book gets added to the first place at the "recently read" list. In the list of all book it is marked as "being read". You could also indicate how far into book you are.
- you closed the book while opened on the last page, the book is marked as finished in the library and it is removed from the "recently read" list. This last action should be configurable.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 04:37 AM   #213
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
There has been no announcement of when an update would be coming, or what would be in that update.

The ghosting issue has been overblown in my opinion, under most circumstances you won't notice.
Thanks. Being in Australia I have no way of having a play with it before purchase so I'd just rather not take the chance. Guess I will have to wait until an update comes or Sony release their next reader.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #214
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Kobo Touch just got ANOTHER firmware update that adds much more functionality:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=140872

Still anxious for a personal hands-on. Guess they should be available here any day now.
Here's a video:

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...ok-font-video/
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #215
cfrock
Enthusiast
cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR & K3
Quote:
Yeah, the dev support they have behind their reader is really stellar. They're quite active on the theses boards, not just listening but answering questions etc.
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #216
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I'd still like to know how good all of these font choices look, up close. Compared to Nook STR, for example.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #217
FerretMochaLatte
FerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STR, Thinking about a Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Here's a quibble. Before you have someone (employee) help potential customers with a device, make sure that they are somewhat trained on the device. I went and tried out the Nook Touch today at my B&N store. For the life of me I could not find the buttons. So I asked the employee who was trying to sell it to me where the buttons were. He told me that this was a pure touchscreen and it didn't have any buttons. At about the same time, I figured out where the were and showed the clerk. I told him that indeed it did and this was one of the big selling points. Then I commenced to show the clerk how to use the buttons. How they can be changed at the user's discretion, etc. They should pay me!

Just train your employees, B&N! You might make more sales.
Here here! haha I have to agree with this one.

I recently bought a Nook STR and you would know more than the B&N salespeople at my local B&N do if you watched the STR video on the B&N website.

Training and advertising would help B&N a lot.
FerretMochaLatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #218
truewt
truewt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Anyone encountering the issue of Nook STR turning on itself after awhile? Even when wifi is off?
truewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #219
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I'd still like to know how good all of these font choices look, up close. Compared to Nook STR, for example.
I may be able to find out as early as Friday. My local store is scheduled to receive a batch. They aren't doing in person or over the phone reservations like B&N. Was told it'll be done online. I guess when you check availability there will be an option to reserve. I've done this with B&N.

Last edited by SCION; 06-29-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #220
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I may be able to find out as early as Friday. My local store is scheduled to receive a batch. They aren't doing in person or over the phone reservations like B&N. Was told it'll be done online. I guess when you check availability there will be an option to reserve. I've done this with B&N.
Great, I'll look forward to your report. The Borders stores that were most convenient for me have closed, I might stop at Best Buy & see if they have any demo units there. But unless they've bothered to update the software, not sure it would be definitive.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #221
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Finally able to check out the Kobo tonight. Hope they have the latest firmware update. Stock is available, so I may just pick up a black one.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #222
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Finally able to check out the Kobo tonight. Hope they have the latest firmware update. Stock is available, so I may just pick up a black one.
What store has the Kobo available for demo?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #223
SCION
Séduisant

Borders
Old 07-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #224
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Borders
Thanks. I'll have to give Borders a call to see if they have any for demo unless I'm out that way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #225
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I grabbed a black one tonight. Will open tomorrow.