Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #76
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Before mine got wrapped for Christmas, I noticed that some of the books in MS .doc format showed up on my NC. None of them had covers showing. In fact I was surprised that they showed up at all. They were just some left overs on the SD card. I didn't try to get the covers to show since I hadn't really intended for them to be on the NC.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #77
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
Has the new firmware fixed any of this? Not having bookcovers show up would be a huge disappointment for me since that would be one of the advantages of the NC.

I usually manually add my own covers, would this help for sideloaded books? Or what if you check the box 'Use cover from source file'? Opening files in one program then another (sigil then calibre), converting to mobi then back to epub, that all sounds like a pain in the a$$. I don't have a NC so I can't see what works or doesn't (and it seems from reading this thread that some things work for some and for others not), but this could be a deal breaker for me. One of the reasons I got a NOOK is because I knew I could root it and see all of my covers, so I would expect the same from a NOOKcolor.
You don't have to use both programs. I've just been using calibre to get the covers to stick. I only use Sigil when I have other format issues that I want to fix. Sometimes the covers are there. Maybe you'll get lucky. Sometimes EPUB to EPUB is fine. EPUB to MOBI to EPUB is a last resort but seems to be required for any books that I got from Feedbooks.

I don't think there are any workarounds at the moment for books with DRM or PDF's. They show a standard BN book icon.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #78
Ziflin
Ziflin began at the beginning.

Device: nook Color
So far, converting epub to epub trick works best for me. It seems to 'clean up' the file layout of the epub and makes it consistent. It has cleaned up the 'cover' tag problems in every book that I've tried so far and it's easy to batch covert to fix the rest.

To those people adding My Files/Books to the device output path: Why was this needed? Calibre is placing everything I send to the device in this directory already and adding that simply created 2 more subdirectories under "My Files/Books". I'm not sure if this is something that selecting the "Nook Color" from Preferences/Common Options/Page Setup did automatically or what.
Ziflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #79
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziflin View Post
So far, converting epub to epub trick works best for me. It seems to 'clean up' the file layout of the epub and makes it consistent. It has cleaned up the 'cover' tag problems in every book that I've tried so far and it's easy to batch covert to fix the rest.

To those people adding My Files/Books to the device output path: Why was this needed? Calibre is placing everything I send to the device in this directory already and adding that simply created 2 more subdirectories under "My Files/Books". I'm not sure if this is something that selecting the "Nook Color" from Preferences/Common Options/Page Setup did automatically or what.
The fact that you set it to NOOKcolor is why the proper directory structure was automatically created.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #80
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
Can anyone give me a quick lesson in adding the covers to my epubs in calibre? Some of mine have them, but most don't.

I want to add the cover to the epub without screwing up the default formating of the epub.
I do it one of two ways... easy way, I re-convert the ePub, make sure you have have insert metadata checked off under structure detection in Calibre.
Doesn't seem to change anything else in the ePub just adds the cover and the metadata

The other way is to download the jpeg from google or some where and insert it using Sigil
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #81
jswinden
Nameless Being

I use calibre and convert the book to an ePub with output set at NOOKcolor and don't have any problems with book covers displaying. Unfortunately, sideloaded books won't show on the Home pages.

Admittedly, most of my books come from the Sony Reader Store and start out life as a well formatted ePubs. I deDRM all of them and convert them to look best on my sony Readers and my NC--two different conversions.

And the Home pages occasionaly display book covers that I specifically removed. For some strange reason they will suddenly reappear. There are definitely a few bugs to work out in the system.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-24-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #82
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven01 View Post
The setting you want is under Preferences, Sending books to devices. Change the save template string to include "My Files/Books/" at the beginning. I also personally add the series name and index so that series are in a subdirectory and things show up in order like so:

Code:
My Files/Books/{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index} - {title} - {authors}
I use Calibre for different eReaders, I understand why you want the code for the Nook Color which I won't get till next week. I allso use it for a Sony eReader, if I add this to the preference will it screw up the sending to the Sony or will it just ignore the directory set up if it doesn't support it?
Thanks
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #83
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie-Me View Post
I use Calibre for different eReaders, I understand why you want the code for the Nook Color which I won't get till next week. I allso use it for a Sony eReader, if I add this to the preference will it screw up the sending to the Sony or will it just ignore the directory set up if it doesn't support it?
Thanks
You could just run the Setup Wizard within Preferences and select the device you're using at the moment. That's the proper way to do it, instead of manipulating the directory structure yourself.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #84
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Thanks
I agree with @SCION: Select the Output type at the time you do the conversion. I use more output modifications for my Sony 350 and 950 than I do with my NOOKcolor. For my NOOKcolor I basically only change one thing and that is I make all the text bold using the extra CSS option. For the Sony 350 and 950 I assign specific fonts to replace the system fonts and that requires a lot more CSS code to be used. So I set up my calibre preferences to convert for the Sony 350/950, but manually change the settings anytime I convert for my NOOKcolor.

There are recipes that work with calibre and a lot of people use them. I never have researched that concept but recipes might be a way to set up for different types of conversions then quickly access them. Perhaps I should read the manual!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #85
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I do it one of two ways... easy way, I re-convert the ePub, make sure you have have insert metadata checked off under structure detection in Calibre.
Doesn't seem to change anything else in the ePub just adds the cover and the metadata

The other way is to download the jpeg from google or some where and insert it using Sigil
You can just paste the jpeg into the appropriate place in Calibre's 'Edit Metadata' window without going through Sigil. That worked for me on the NC before it got wrapped & put under the tree. Well mostly except for the cover problems that other's have previously mentioned that are usually corrected by doing a conversion from epub to epub.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #86
slayda
Retired & reading more!

I just noticed that "tools_v2.3" & "tools_v2.2" has an .pwy file called "ePub_Fixer.pyw". In reading the readme file I see it says "ePubs are specially crafted zip archives. Unfortunately, many of te DRM encoded Adobe Adept and Barnes & Noble ePubs are not "proper" zip archives in that the names of some files in the zip central directory do NOT match the local name given in archive itself. This type of zip archive is technically incorrect/corrupted and can not be read by many other programs."

I wonder if this would fix the cover problem. I would check but my NC is headed back to B&N with a new replacement coming. Unless someone else reports on it first, I'll check when I get my new NC.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #87
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Converting epub to mobi to epub work fine for me, though i have not tried epub to epub only.

I do have output set to Nook in ouput prefs.

Hope this help.

Last edited by artbatista; 01-05-2011 at 11:55 PM.
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #88
tacheson
tacheson began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
I have noticed that a few of my sideloaded books will have covers initially, then sometimes disappear and be replaced with the generic text (title) of the book. After rebooting, they show up again...almost like it's a refresh issue or something.

Also, if you use Sigil to modify your ePub, I noticed the file structure of the ePub changes dramatically. There are a couple of ways to organize the HTML inside the ePub I know...

How do I know? unZip your ePub made from Calibre to a folder.
Modify the original ePub with Sigil, and then unZip that ePub to another directory and compare the contents.

At least in the one book I was working on I noticed this. I was breaking my book into chapters with Sigil that were absent in the original ePub. If you wish to retain the original structure for whatever reason, Sigil and Calibre appear to not be identical in ePub creations.
tacheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #89
zxybabydoll
zxybabydoll began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Smile Nook Color Sideloaded Books and Book Covers

The Nook Color should be able to load book covers, Barnes and Noble are working on this issue as we type, they know whats wrong and they are fixing it, Check their forums. Also the side-loaded books don't work on the home screen YET, but that is also something that SHOULD be coming in a NEAR FUTURE Update.
zxybabydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #90
tacheson
tacheson began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Even the books that came with the NookCOLOR, User Guide and Quick Start Guide do not show covers; until you open one up. Then the covers are available on the home screen.
tacheson is offline   Reply With Quote