Old 03-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
New patch: 2.9.1

Quote:
Dear iLiad User,

Herewith we would like to inform you that a new patch release is available to download from the iRex Delivery Service (iDS).

This Patch release 2.9.1 will solve a bug that many users where experiencing with the PDF viewer.

Is it just me, because I have no ideea what they are talking about.
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
each
Connoisseur
each has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 650/iRex iLiad
Just got this update notification through email and try to install the patch, but couldn't connect to iDS right now, don't know why. iLiad stays at "connecting to server" and no response.
each is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
vranghel
Addict

Had no problem connecting and downloading....maybe their servers are getting hammered right now....though its unlikely.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vranghel
Is it just me, because I have no ideea what they are talking about.
It's just you ;-)

After the release of 2.9 there were bug reports of some large .pdf files hanging and/or dumping you back in a directory when there was a page turn. I think Matthijs may also have been working on the elusive 'last documents' problem. It seems the fix did not work on all CF cards and he was making another minor change.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
vranghel
Addict

Oh....i see....I did not encounter any problmes, so that's why i wasn't aware.

Thanks for elucidating it to me, VillageReader!

Last edited by vranghel; 03-14-2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Advert
Old 03-14-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
maxim75
maxim75 began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad, HP hx4700
I've got CF 4Gb (Kingston) + 1Gb SD. After installing 2.9 the following things started to happen:

- devices is not turning to next page on 900 page PDF document. LED is flickring and the only thing you can do is to press "up" button to return to file list and reoen the document

- upon load instead of "Recent Documents" page appearing by default in 2.8 it tries to connect via LAN on WAN to server

Both thing are quite irritating to hopefully applying 2.9.1 fix will solve it
maxim75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:58 PM   #7
Ivan
Connoisseur
Ivan began at the beginning.

I am able to connect and download my Chinese PDF viewer but whileing downloading 2.9.2: the following message appeared: the file is corrupted.
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
readingaloud
Enthusiast
readingaloud is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad; Sony Reader; Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim75
I've got CF 4Gb (Kingston) + 1Gb SD. After installing 2.9 the following things started to happen:

- devices is not turning to next page on 900 page PDF document. LED is flickring and the only thing you can do is to press "up" button to return to file list and reoen the document

- upon load instead of "Recent Documents" page appearing by default in 2.8 it tries to connect via LAN on WAN to server

Both thing are quite irritating to hopefully applying 2.9.1 fix will solve it
I had the first of these problems, and it seems to have gone away after I installed 2.9.1, so it's worth a try. But I'm told that what's happening to me may be that the PDF viewer is running out of memory, and that's apparently NOT addressed by the patch.

If it is a memory problem, it seem to be related to the number of pagers rather than the size of the file--the two files that have been affected for me are a 986-page, 138MB file, and a 1133-page, 3.2MB file. (The first is huge because it's a scan converted to PDF as an image, the second small because I OCR-ed the scan and generated the PDF from text.)

Maybe I'm just lucky--the problem has always been intermittent, so perhaps it's just a coincidence that it hasn't surfaced since I loaded 2.9.1.
readingaloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:05 PM   #9
maxim75
maxim75 began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad, HP hx4700
I've put 2.9.1 yesterday. Large PDFs seems to be fine so far.

In addition to patch it also downloaded updated documentation (maybe that's why my Iliad was trying to connect each time after power on).

Also after 2.9 update I've noticed that sometimes when you navigate to next page it actually navigates 5 pages forward. I've set long click to 2 seconds, but it happens anyway, even with 2.9.1 installed.
maxim75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:38 PM   #10
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@maxim75

This is an error that has been present for ages (since the Iliad first arrived) and it has never been clearly identified or solved. It seems to happen infrequently and only a few users have reported it so far.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:51 AM   #11
Orion
Orion began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim75
I've put 2.9.1 yesterday. Large PDFs seems to be fine so far.

In addition to patch it also downloaded updated documentation (maybe that's why my Iliad was trying to connect each time after power on).

Also after 2.9 update I've noticed that sometimes when you navigate to next page it actually navigates 5 pages forward. I've set long click to 2 seconds, but it happens anyway, even with 2.9.1 installed.

I had this problem too with long click = 2 seconds and long click = 0.5 seconds (but not so often as with 2 seconds).

The best result was with long click = 1 second, meaning it hasn't happend so far (a couple of weeks of daily use).
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote