Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 03:52 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Camera Connection Kit for importing movies

Probably already has been answered 734 times, but I didn't find a clear answer:
Can one import movies without iTunes, directly via Camera Connection Kit from the SD card?
I guess, movies will be the main memory hogs. When traveling, it would be convenient, to take 2 or 3 SD card with me, holding about 100 iTunes movies.
Should be possible, but I didn't find it mentioned anywhere.
If so, the only downside probably would be, not being able to play directly from the SD card?!
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Probably already has been answered 734 times, but I didn't find a clear answer:
Can one import movies without iTunes, directly via Camera Connection Kit from the SD card?
As long as they're in a format the iPad can play, then yes. You may have to put them in a DCIM folder to 'trick' the iPad into seeing them. Also, they'll end up in your Photo library instead of in Videos, but they'll still play.

As far as playing them directly from the card - nope. They have to be imported.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubu View Post
As long as they're in a format the iPad can play, then yes. You may have to put them in a DCIM folder to 'trick' the iPad into seeing them. Also, they'll end up in your Photo library instead of in Videos, but they'll still play.

As far as playing them directly from the card - nope. They have to be imported.
Great, thanks. I'll add the camera kit then...
Old 05-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
if your iPad is jail broken you can play videos on the card with one of the 3rd party players such as VLC. or play off a card with that as well.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
if your iPad is jail broken you can play videos on the card with one of the 3rd party players such as VLC. or play off a card with that as well.
Cool. "Tuned" my AppleTV. I guess, I'll have to do the same with iPad - in 3 to 4 weeks, when it arrives; should have ordered from the US instead of waiting for the German release...
Old 05-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubu View Post
Given that so many cameras these days also do video it seems odd that it you have to trick it into doing it and that it wouldn't assign them to the correct library given that they clearly aren't photos.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

well it depends more on the format the camera records the video in. my canon camera for example saves it as quicktime, loads and plays on my ipad just fine. my rca digital video recorder saves it as an avi, the ipad will load it (saving some camera space) but won't natively play it either. vlc on the ipad will navigate to the directory and play it though (with stutters). turning it into some offline storage at best.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Yeah, it is fair enough if the format is unsupported and you are basically just using the ipad to store it, what happens with files such as your quicktime ones, do they get imported into video instead of photos?
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books

no. everything gets imported into photos. take a look at my mini review of the connection kit for details...
Old 05-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Given that so many cameras these days also do video it seems odd that it you have to trick it into doing it and that it wouldn't assign them to the correct library given that they clearly aren't photos.
For cameras that do video, it's no problem - it's just when you're trying to load videos from other sources. The iPad expects media to be in a standard location used by cameras.

As for the library issue - the connection kit is intended for downloading user-shot photos & videos, so it puts everything in the Photos library, whereas the Video library is part of the iPod app and intended for pre-recorded content from an iTunes library.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I understand that the ipad does not recognize flip cameras, or at least it won't import the movies. A bit of a bummer for me since I use a flip camera and it would be perfect if I could import the video clips from the flip directly to the ipad. I have a camera connector on order. Hopefully it will show up soon and I can test it on my nikon.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
Trubu
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I understand that the ipad does not recognize flip cameras, or at least it won't import the movies. A bit of a bummer for me since I use a flip camera and it would be perfect if I could import the video clips from the flip directly to the ipad. I have a camera connector on order. Hopefully it will show up soon and I can test it on my nikon.
Actually, it will import the movies - it just won't play them back. Not sure why, as I was under the impression that the Flip produced vanilla mp4 files.

Still handy for freeing up memory on the Flip, though - the limited storage capacity always been my biggest gripe about mine.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #13
scottjl
Reader of Books

flip might use the mp4 container but they use some 3rd party codec. I had a flip a while ago and remember having to load the codec for it. one of the reasons I replaced it with my RCA, it used a standard codec.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #14
Trubu
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
flip might use the mp4 container but they use some 3rd party codec. I had a flip a while ago and remember having to load the codec for it. one of the reasons I replaced it with my RCA, it used a standard codec.
Huh, didn't know that. iMovie imports files from the Flip directly, so I just assumed it was using a standard mp4 variant.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #15
scottjl
Reader of Books

found it with google. the flip series uses the 3ivx codec, which isn't standard on windows or the Mac. hence needing to load it's software. unlikely we'll see any way to install this codec on the iPad any time soon.

sure you can import into iMovie, but at some point you installed the codec (likely when you installed the flip software)