Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #31
rafa08
rafa08 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader ??
Very useful. Thanks. Raf
rafa08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #32
quad4x4
quad4x4 began at the beginning.

Device: PalmTX
Thanks for the info.
quad4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #33
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
As we've gotten so many 'newbies' lately, I thought this would be a good time to bump this post...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
So many new people lately. A great big welcome to you all!

Many of you have been lurking for ages, many are totally new to the experience.

This is for those of you wondering where to get all those free books you've been hearing about. Here is a link to our Wiki showing a huge list of free books,
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks

but let me show you a few of my favorites first.......

First of all, regardless of which device you have, you will want to check out our ebooks here. They are lovingly formatted by our own members, and you will find them easy to find by genre, title, or author. Available in German, French and of course, English. Here is the link, or just look above and click on the "e-books" tab. Remember, if you have a Kindle, you can download the mobile guide to it and download books directly from there if you prefer.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=132

Now, there is also www.feedbooks.com This site offers books also beautifully formatted, and they also have a catalog available to be loaded directly to the Kindle. Books are available in English, French and Spanish

And then, there is www.manybooks.net Books are available in 32 languages. A site well worth looking at.

Baen books is a wonderful site for SciFi enthusiasts. http://www.baen.com/ Lots of free books available here.

These are just some of the places to go for free books, regardless of the device owned. I"m sure other members will post different ones.

Enjoy!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #34
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Another great site for people looking for SF/Fantasy content is the Suvudu Free Library.

I've noticed content there changes regularly. I'm not too sure how the DRM scheme works, but there are a multitude of titles and formats for everyone.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #35
Mojo
Mojo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile

Quote:
Remember, if you have a Kindle, you can download the mobile guide to it and download books directly from there if you prefer. Enjoy!
I have considered getting a Kindle but stuck with the Public Library because of the high cost of downloading books. The above quote suggests an affordable option. Specifically, where can I get user friendly, not technical, derails? Thanks.
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #36
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I have considered getting a Kindle but stuck with the Public Library because of the high cost of downloading books. The above quote suggests an affordable option. Specifically, where can I get user friendly, not technical, derails? Thanks.
The quote refers to the books that our members have uploaded here.........all public domain, and great reading.

IF you had a Kindle, you would simply click on "download mobipocket guide" and follow instructions. Another way is to simply download to your computer and use the usb cord to transfer.....my favorite way.

If you have a library close that has a good assortment of epub books, and a library card, you might want to consider a Sony, or other device that supports epub.

Then you would simply download the library ebooks to your computer, then transfer to your device via usb cord.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #37
Mojo
Mojo began at the beginning.

Smile

Quote:
The quote refers to the books that our members have uploaded here.........all public domain, and great reading.

IF you had a Kindle, you would simply click on "download mobipocket guide" and follow instructions. Another way is to simply download to your computer and use the usb cord to transfer.....my favorite way.

If you have a library close that has a good assortment of epub books, and a library card, you might want to consider a Sony, or other device that supports epub.

Then you would simply download the library ebooks to your computer, then transfer to your device via usb cord.
Thanks much desertgrandma. Apparently the Kindle reads formats other than Amazon’s preparatory format. If I can find a Kindle primer, I will try to better educate myself. At this time I have a very good offer on buying a Kindle that a friend is getting as an office gift. However, If I have to buy books from Amazon, I may turn it down. It would be kind of like a nonsmoker getting a free carton of cigarettes, a very expensive habit.
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #38
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

PM sent.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:48 AM   #39
lydia_e
lydia_e began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader touch
Thank you!!! This really helps.
lydia_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #40
rambo47
Kindleer
rambo47 doesn't litterrambo47 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle noob here.

I actually bought my Kindle because of the Barnes & Noble Nook. I wanted the Nook and started doing my research on it before buying. I had 99% decided to get the Nook and really just wanted to be aware of any issues, especially considering it's a Rev.1 device. I was seduced by the co-branding with B&N and the WiFi access when inside a B&N store. The lower color touch screen was also intriguing. So I said, "Gimme gimme gimme!"

Then I talked to owners and read some reviews. Didn't like what I heard/read either. So I dug some more, and in digging I found everything was pointing to the superiority of the Kindle 2. I had already pre-ordered the Nook, not due to ship until February 1st, so I cancelled my order and bought the Kindle. Had it the very next day, along with a big dumb grin that I haven't been able to get rid of yet.

Right out of the box I was über-impressed! I love the old-fashioned screen saver pics as they give this new piece of technology an old-world feeling. Being a dedicated paper book guy, I found this a very classy touch. Another thing that impressed the heck out of me was that 4 minutes after opening the box from Amazon, my Kindle was registered and linked to my Amazon.com account. I didn't have to do a single thing. Either it came pre-registered or it linked my order to my account and simply did it's thing. Either way it made an impression. You only get one chance to make a first impression and my Kindle definitely made a good one on me!

The user interface is pretty self-explanatory, but for those questions I couldn't answer myself by diving right in, the User Guide is gold. Just like the Kindle's controls, the guide is easy to navigate and get answers from.

As I said, I've always been a reader and lover of printed books. I'm always reading 2 or 3 books at the same time so you can probably imagine the piles of books all over my house. And the constant inflow of new books, both paperback and hard cover, threatens to reach critical mass at any moment. Add to that the fact that going on vacation often means being an extra gym bag just to carry the books I'm reading plus those I plan to start next. Having my new Kindle means the paper meltdown is aborted and trips to the beach no longer require dedicating one arm to tote my books. Equally key is that I can buy new books from the comfort of my beach chair under the umbrella or download free books. Boo-yah! This Kindle is simply full of win.
rambo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #41
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

I've updated the original post to add more info for Kindle newbies........
Old 12-31-2009, 10:52 AM   #42
Fred Nance
Fred Nance began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks very much for the help. PS Keep it comming.
Fred Nance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #43
Ramona1
Ramona1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I am a brand new member and appreciate this thread. I thought this would be a great experience and you have proven it is.
Ramona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #44
Tish
Tish began at the beginning.

E books

Hello, please help
Which format is downloadable to the Kindle 2 in the ebook catalog. What are the steps to do a download.

Thanks
Tish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #45
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish View Post
Hello, please help
Which format is downloadable to the Kindle 2 in the ebook catalog. What are the steps to do a download.

Thanks
Welcome tish.

You want the mobipocket format. (.prc)

Click on the ebooks tab.

Click on "mobipocket" under "formats"

Now, you can choose genre, all the books are listed alphabetically by author.

See the "search" button to the right? click on that and you can search for a particular book.

Let us know if this helps.