Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #31
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
Read the whole interview, Jobs was not talking about removing DRM.
From his letter I posted earlier:

The third alternative is to abolish DRMs entirely. Imagine a world where every online store sells DRM-free music encoded in open licensable formats. In such a world, any player can play music purchased from any store, and any store can sell music which is playable on all players. This is clearly the best alternative for consumers, and Apple would embrace it in a heartbeat. If the big four music companies would license Apple their music without the requirement that it be protected with a DRM, we would switch to selling only DRM-free music on our iTunes store. Every iPod ever made will play this DRM-free music.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #32
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousoxide View Post
Having DRM for stuff you're just renting makes perfect sense. If you're paying less for a time limited license, why shouldn't you expect it to automatically explode at the end of that time?
If you're trying to make digital goods like physical goods - then yes, it may make sense. But in such case you're doing extra effort to limit what is already free. It's harder to limit information than to simply copy it.

I think book DRM is simply at an earlier stage than music DRM. To me "DRM is going strong in ebooks", and similar, are hollow words, because I know of resources like Project Gutenberg. I think it's just a matter of time now.
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #33
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
I think book DRM is simply at an earlier stage than music DRM. To me "DRM is going strong in ebooks", and similar, are hollow words, because I know of resources like Project Gutenberg. I think it's just a matter of time now.
Public domain has nothing to do with DRM. In fact, is it not only perfectly legal but routine to publish a public domain book, charge a price for it, and slap some DRM on it. Sony, B&N, Amazon et al all sell PD books with DRM, even though the same materials are available for free and without DRM elsewhere.

In addition, while many great books are in public domain, and Google's scan project will make a huge number of PD books available (albeit poorly proofread / OCR'ed, at the moment), almost nothing published after 1923 is in public domain.

When the "Harry Potter" series is legally available in a non-DRM form, then I think you can say that "DRM for ebooks has lost."
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #34
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
When the "Harry Potter" series is legally available in a non-DRM form, then I think you can say that "DRM for ebooks has lost."
That won't happen anytime soon. Between the author hating ebooks, and publishers scared of DRMfree, too much going against it.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #35
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
From his letter I posted earlier:

The third alternative is to abolish DRMs entirely. Imagine a world where every online store sells DRM-free music encoded in open licensable formats. In such a world, any player can play music purchased from any store, and any store can sell music which is playable on all players. This is clearly the best alternative for consumers, and Apple would embrace it in a heartbeat. If the big four music companies would license Apple their music without the requirement that it be protected with a DRM, we would switch to selling only DRM-free music on our iTunes store. Every iPod ever made will play this DRM-free music.
I do believe I said that I was refering to the interview. But thanks.

Besides, words are cheap, actions matter far more. In the interview Jobs also says that Apple is not completing agains Microsoft for the desktop market.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, google, outbreakofcommonsense, stats