Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
Debby
Connoisseur
Debby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Sony & ipad
Ghosting & Lines in Screen - SD or Hardware?

Hello,

Yesterday night my Cybook started acting strange. Initially the screen looked fine until I selected a book or tried to scroll the menu forward. The screen had lines, ghosting and other bizarre behaviors. The unit was fully charged.
Attachment 25521

What I did discover was if I took out the SD card everything appeared to work fine. So, I reformatted the SD card and recopied the books over. Same problem still existed.

Then I tried coping the books directly to the internal memory. That actually seems to work other than the strange screen when I disconnect from the computer. If I turn off and back on a normal screen appears. At least I can scroll and read.

Attachment 25522

My question is: Do you think this is strictly a SD card issue or a hardware issue?

Of course, I am scheduled to go to Hawaii in 2 weeks! For those of you who have sent your in for repairs - how long it it take?

Thank you!

Last edited by Debby; 06-07-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
My 5 cents...

A defective screen-controler, so a hardware issue.

I've heard Bookeen can deliver a new unit within a week... But then again it also can take a considerable longer time.

Good luck, I hope it's a waranty-thing....
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Debby
Connoisseur
Debby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Sony & ipad
Well, I guess I knew in my heart that was direction I was heading. When I turn off now, it give me a strange distorted screen. It clearly needs to go back.

I have had it over a year. So I guess that means the warranty won't apply. Does anyone have an idea of what it wil cost?

It also means I need to buy another unit. The Kindle is out since all books are mobi.

Thanks.
Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:28 AM   #4
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
In europe (limited) warranty can be up to 2 years.
Be sure to send them your photos, there is a good chance they won't cash you anything!
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:40 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
In europe (limited) warranty can be up to 2 years.
Be sure to send them your photos, there is a good chance they won't cash you anything!
It is at least 2 years (I think they changed it to 3 years some time ago). It is called something else then warranty. So remind Bookeen about the EU rules if they try to forget them.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:57 AM   #6
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not only called differently it's somethig different aswell, basicly after the first year it's up to the consumer to prove that it's not his fault whereas in the first year the company has to prove it's the consumers fault when they claim it's not a warrany-issue.

In any way in this case I doubt they will reply anything else than "please send us the device we'll send you a new one/repair it for you" if you send them the pictures.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Bookeen have been pretty good at replacing screen controllers under warranty, so there's no reason to anticipate any problems.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
It's not only called differently it's somethig different aswell, basicly after the first year it's up to the consumer to prove that it's not his fault whereas in the first year the company has to prove it's the consumers fault when they claim it's not a warrany-issue.
It is up to six months that the company cannot demand that the customer should show something. At the same time they did this change they extended the total time to three years.

If it is the screen controller it is trivial to show that you did not break it. Just pointing out that it is broken should be enough.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
Pulp
Palm Addict

Go for it Debby, and keep us posted! *fingerscrossed*