Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #76
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
...nothing intellectual to add, but please don't tell my hubs about this watch, he's gadget mad.
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #77
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Whereas I assume it will temporarily replace the time.
And if you get a message that you don't want to reply to? Will the time be replaced until you read the message, or will the message disappear after some time?

Quote:
And yes, most (not all, but most) of the names in my contact list are identifiable within the 1st 5 characters. Pure chance, maybe, but the determinant, IMO, is whether the chance is greater that they will or that they won't be identifiable in a limited number of characters. Based purely on my experience I'd say the chance is that they will be.
I have friends and relatives with the same first names so this would be impossible for me, and in the case of work related contacts, I might not even know the name of the person but I can see from the email address which company they work for so I would need around 20 characters.

Quote:
But I'm not determining whether or not the message is important, I'm determining whether or not I want to answer it. I generally make that determination on who it's from, not what it's about. So that's me-I suppose other people have other criteria.
We were talking about determining whether or not the message is important enough for a person to pull the car over and answer immediately.

Quote:
I definitely agree with you about this. If the screen on a smartwatch lights up to display a message then you should probably turn it off in a cinema just as you should turn off your phone there. People won't, I'm sure-but that's why I'd design the watch with an LCD screen. Do you know which this watch has?
You lost me here. You don't think that LCD screens light up?

Quote:
IMO a smartwatch would be as much part of a phone as a headset would be so I'll score this one a clear miss.
And you lost me here as well. What is your objection to carrying two devices? I was assuming that it had to do with having to carry two different pieces of equipment, but apparently that isn't it so what is the objection?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #78
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
And if you get a message that you don't want to reply to? Will the time be replaced until you read the message, or will the message disappear after some time?
I'm assuming the message would disappear automatically after a second or two. If not then you might be right about needing two hands in which case I'd rate this FAIL just as you apparently have.

Quote:
I have friends and relatives with the same first names so this would be impossible for me, and in the case of work related contacts, I might not even know the name of the person but I can see from the email address which company they work for so I would need around 20 characters.
So it won't work for you. Possibly I'm special-or maybe you are. Hard to tell without a study but you know? I think we could maybe tell by how many people would find this useful if it were reasonably priced. It isn't so it's likely we'll never settle this question.

Quote:
We were talking about determining whether or not the message is important enough for a person to pull the car over and answer immediately.
I'm afraid it doesn't work that way for me. Again, it might work that way for others but for me it's who the message is from that determines whether or not I'll take the call.

Quote:
You lost me here. You don't think that LCD screens light up?
Can light up, sure-but light up automatically? Again it depends on how the watch was designed to function. My analogy is still to a 'regular' watch with alarms taking the place of messages. I've never had a watch that lit up when an alarm went off. Of course alarms are noise whereas messages are (hopefully) silent-so maybe the designer did design it to light up when a message is displayed. I hope not but can't be sure. Can you?

Quote:
And you lost me here as well. What is your objection to carrying two devices? I was assuming that it had to do with having to carry two different pieces of equipment, but apparently that isn't it so what is the objection?
I guess I wasn't clear. Thinking about it I guess I'd say that I don't mind wearing multiple devices but carrying them is different-at least to me. And I don't consider devices clipped to my belt as being worn-those are carried just as devices in pockets are. Matter of definition, I guess. I don't mind wearing a watch & carrying a pen & at the same time carrying a phone. There's 3 devices right there & I'm not even counting the penlight on my keychain, knife in my pocket, etc. So you're basically right on this point-I'm just not clearly articulating what I mean by 'not wanting to carry multiple devices'. Obviously I do carry multiple devices but don't want to carry two phones or an ereader plus a phone or a tablet plus a phone, etc. I'll need to think about how to express this more clearly in the future. Thanks.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:33 AM   #79
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm assuming the message would disappear automatically after a second or two. If not then you might be right about needing two hands in which case I'd rate this FAIL just as you apparently have.
If it disappears that fast it would be a problem while driving because that means that if you get the message while you need to make a turn or change lanes your attention is already divided between right, left, straight ahead and 3 mirrors so you won't have a couple of seconds to spare a glance at your watch.

Quote:
So it won't work for you. Possibly I'm special-or maybe you are. Hard to tell without a study but you know? I think we could maybe tell by how many people would find this useful if it were reasonably priced. It isn't so it's likely we'll never settle this question.

I'm afraid it doesn't work that way for me. Again, it might work that way for others but for me it's who the message is from that determines whether or not I'll take the call.
OK, we have different views on this.

Quote:
Can light up, sure-but light up automatically? Again it depends on how the watch was designed to function. My analogy is still to a 'regular' watch with alarms taking the place of messages. I've never had a watch that lit up when an alarm went off. Of course alarms are noise whereas messages are (hopefully) silent-so maybe the designer did design it to light up when a message is displayed. I hope not but can't be sure. Can you?
If the screen doesn't light up and it doesn't make a sound how would you be able to tell that you received a message?

Quote:
I guess I wasn't clear. Thinking about it I guess I'd say that I don't mind wearing multiple devices but carrying them is different-at least to me. And I don't consider devices clipped to my belt as being worn-those are carried just as devices in pockets are. Matter of definition, I guess. I don't mind wearing a watch & carrying a pen & at the same time carrying a phone. There's 3 devices right there & I'm not even counting the penlight on my keychain, knife in my pocket, etc. So you're basically right on this point-I'm just not clearly articulating what I mean by 'not wanting to carry multiple devices'. Obviously I do carry multiple devices but don't want to carry two phones or an ereader plus a phone or a tablet plus a phone, etc. I'll need to think about how to express this more clearly in the future. Thanks.
I just don't see the difference.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #80
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Obviously Sil_liS is not the target audience for this type of thing nor should he be as he would probably fall off his bike trying to parse his friend's name in less than 10 seconds.
That does not mean that it won't be in demand from a certain subset of people. The 275,000 people who have or have ordered a Pebble watch is evidence enough of that.

Can anyone really suggest that you can't understand at a glance who is calling or who is sending you a message?

Companies will make smart watches and people will buy them and Sil_liS will just have to walk around with a smartphone stand wherever he goes.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #81
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Can anyone really suggest that you can't understand at a glance who is calling or who is sending you a message?
Looks very readable to me. But then, my feature phone does the same thing.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #82
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:

Too small... this is more better

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #83
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Obviously Sil_liS is not the target audience for this type of thing nor should he be as he would probably fall off his bike trying to parse his friend's name in less than 10 seconds.
That does not mean that it won't be in demand from a certain subset of people. The 275,000 people who have or have ordered a Pebble watch is evidence enough of that.

Companies will make smart watches and people will buy them and Sil_liS will just have to walk around with a smartphone stand wherever he goes.
My complaint is about using this while driving or riding a bicycle. I don't think that readability is a problem if you get your wrist towards your face, I think that readability is a problem if your hand is on a wheel or the handlebars of a bike.

I've looked at some reviews of the pebble.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhuo8mvQl3o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl35roieosQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roflDanHDcA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWaZl9B4Wms

1. Readability: as most people seem to prefer the biggest number display possible for the clock, I don't think that you can tell who is calling at a glance.

2. Navigation: in all 4 reviews that I looked at the reviewers were going through the menu with the watch in their hand not on their wrist. One of them navigated while the watch was on his wrist but not for long so I'm not convinced that pushing buttons while the watch is on your wrist is all that comfortable.

3. Battery: the battery lasts this long because the watch relies on the phone: you can access the music player, but it is the phone that plays it; you can answer a call, but you will be speaking on your phone so you still have to get your phone out. But feat not, according to the company Pebble should be able to be used with standard Bluetooth headsets (ie. one will not interfere with the function of the other when they are each paired with your smartphone).

This device seems to be an expensive remote control for a smartphone that can also be used as a watch.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #84
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
If it disappears that fast it would be a problem while driving because that means that if you get the message while you need to make a turn or change lanes your attention is already divided between right, left, straight ahead and 3 mirrors so you won't have a couple of seconds to spare a glance at your watch.

If the screen doesn't light up and it doesn't make a sound how would you be able to tell that you received a message?
Again, different people, I guess. Or maybe the timing should be configurable. I'm assuming a default of about 2 seconds-I have yet to see a curve that requires that long to transit. Multiple curves could be a problem. (If I were going down Lombard St in San Francisco I think I'd ignore any messages no matter how important they were.)

As for notification, it's on your wrist-why not vibrate? But then alarm watches don't generally do that which I've always thought dumb. IMO it's the most reliable & least disruptive way to notify the wearer of something.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #85
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Again, different people, I guess. Or maybe the timing should be configurable. I'm assuming a default of about 2 seconds-I have yet to see a curve that requires that long to transit. Multiple curves could be a problem. (If I were going down Lombard St in San Francisco I think I'd ignore any messages no matter how important they were.)
The transit doesn't take that long, but you have to check the traffic in all relevant directions before you take a turn or change lanes.

Quote:
As for notification, it's on your wrist-why not vibrate? But then alarm watches don't generally do that which I've always thought dumb. IMO it's the most reliable & least disruptive way to notify the wearer of something.
That still makes noise.