Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #76
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Are SD cards in use? I ask as I know the last time I tried them on MY Touch the unit refused to go to sleep; it would start the sleep process and roughly 60 seconds later would wake up, and then fall back asleep.
Good question but no, they aren't. Not by me anyway, and I think I recall also not by the others but of course I can't be sure.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #77
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Sounds like nice battery life. Any chance you'd be willing to share your exact settings, following the settings menu per point?
Light off - after 15 min
Light indicator - clear
Sleep - 15 min
Power - never
Screensaver show current cover - on
Full screen - off (used to be on, so I don't think it matters)
Sleepcover - off
Refresh - every page
Reading life - off
Wifi - on as needed, turned off as soon as I'm done with it
Light - used all the time, set around 1/3 or so
Mostly use the middle page turn setting, but I do use the right hand one when reading at night (where tapping left side of screen goes forward).

I read mostly kepubs/newspapers that are kepub.
I have about 65 books (around 55 kepub and 10 non-drm epub) and a few pdfs on the device. No SD card (but that's a good question from Peter).
I mostly use the switch to put it to sleep, but occassionally it does auto-time out.

Can't think of any other settings/behaviour to add.

Couple of thing I didn't add is that it is not currently ADE authorized, not signed into facebook (that might be one to look at), and I have about 5 shelves.

Last edited by robko; 02-23-2013 at 04:13 PM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #78
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you Robko! Very much appreciated!

Not much different to mine, though I have reading life on. Will switch it off. And perhaps opt for kepubs again for a while instead of epubs. (No ADE/facebook for me either.)
Old 02-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #79
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I can HARDLY imagine there's a battery drain link with certain kobo accounts, but you can never be sure. Have you by any chance tried to use a different account? Maybe make a fresh new kobo account and log in with that, see if anything changes.
Funny that you mention this, as I had just thought of this myself.

It may not be the account itself, but *maybe* there is a book or some other factor that is causing the issue....so I was going to suggest to Shai-Hulud to create a new one, as you suggested and add one book to the account, then do some battery testing....if the kobo works well under that condition, it may not be worth trying to exchange units anymore, but rather trying some other direction.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:54 AM   #80
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Are SD cards in use?
Not here, no. On my old touch I fancied the additional card drew extra power, knocking around a week off of a month's worth of use without. And in practice it wasn't required anyway since I keep my library in calibre. I only side-load around 5 books at a time which is still a lot of reading material on tap but gives faster start-up times and quicker access speeds.
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #81
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
It may not be the account itself, but *maybe* there is a book or some other factor that is causing the issue...so I was going to suggest to Shai-Hulud to create a new one, as you suggested and add one book to the account
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not discounting malformed books, though testing thusfar doesn't seem to indicate this is the sole cause of power issues even in cases where we can't rule out a contribution.

I don't use the Kobo desktop software partly because there's no linux client, and partly because I consider it undesirable bloat. If others want random marketing media and updates pushed onto their device and their reading habits tracked, that's fine but it's not for me I'm afraid. I wonder how many people actually load it on their machines because Kobo tell them it's needed to get their device initialised? Whatever. I do understand the convenience it affords non-technical people. I happen to think calibre is a far superior product, concentrating on the basics like functionality and user experience, and is a genuinely useful piece of software (please support Kovid with some £££ if you also use it and like it).

Regardless of personal opinions, my method for setting up and usage is consistent across the old Touch (good battery life) and the new Touch (bad battery life x 2). Consequently I believe that creating a fresh account is barking up the wrong tree (though if anyone experiencing power issues wants to go ahead and do that and post back, I shan't dissuade them). Different user entries in text fields in the database by themselves cannot have any bearing on how much power a device uses since it's analogous to changing a sticker on the bumper of your car:- the car still drives the same whether you declare "I love Horses" or "Let's turn them into Burgers"
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #82
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not discounting malformed books, though testing thusfar doesn't seem to indicate this is the sole cause of power issues even in cases where we can't rule out a contribution.

I don't use the Kobo desktop software partly because there's no linux client, and partly because I consider it undesirable bloat. If others want random marketing media and updates pushed onto their device and their reading habits tracked, that's fine but it's not for me I'm afraid. I wonder how many people actually load it on their machines because Kobo tell them it's needed to get their device initialised? Whatever. I do understand the convenience it affords non-technical people. I happen to think calibre is a far superior product, concentrating on the basics like functionality and user experience, and is a genuinely useful piece of software (please support Kovid with some £££ if you also use it and like it).

Regardless of personal opinions, my method for setting up and usage is consistent across the old Touch (good battery life) and the new Touch (bad battery life x 2). Consequently I believe that creating a fresh account is barking up the wrong tree (though if anyone experiencing power issues wants to go ahead and do that and post back, I shan't dissuade them). Different user entries in text fields in the database by themselves cannot have any bearing on how much power a device uses since it's analogous to changing a sticker on the bumper of your car:- the car still drives the same whether you declare "I love Horses" or "Let's turn them into Burgers"

If you're avoiding firmware updates, I see why you don't want to create a test account.
I wasn't suggesting using the kobo desktop app...don't use it myself for the same reason.

My idea was more that somehow a "clean" account would be easier and more reliable for not involving other factors when testing.

I understand if you'd rather not, it's just I would personally find having to return so many units quite annoying and would be looking for other factors as well.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #83
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Quote:
If you're avoiding firmware updates
I'm not avoiding updates per se - just trying to establish what they fix/break beforehand and determine if they are less crap than the previous version Specifically in my case whether they provide a power usage profile consistent with their marketing literature (and with the old Touch device).

Quote:
.. I see why you don't want to create a test account. I wasn't suggesting using the kobo desktop app...don't use it myself for the same reason. My idea was more that somehow a "clean" account would be easier and more reliable for not involving other factors when testing.
I don't believe you could possibly get much cleaner than simply applying the following
Code:
"insert into user values('foo', 'foo', 'foo', 'foo', 'foo');" | sqlite3 /Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo/KoboReader.sqlite
There are plenty of references to this method in the mobileread forum. No cruft whatsoever. No Kobo Desktop software required.

Quote:
I understand if you'd rather not, it's just I would personally find having to return so many units quite annoying and would be looking for other factors as well.
Yes I can't pretend it isn't annoying having sent back my old Touch for a power problem that only occurred occasionally (and possibly could have been circumvented with different sleep/power-off settings) to receiveing a new Touch (twice) that has an always present issue.

As I said above, you can't get much cleaner than empty and I have been trying to discuss as many alternative explanations and logical reasons as I can possibly come up with, both in this thread and in similar threads within the Kobo forum.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #84
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

In the interests of anyone following this topic once archived, I refer you to this post. Any further feedback from Kobo I shall endeavour to cross-post in this thread too.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #85
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Using this link will get you the whole thread from the point of that post, instead of just that post.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #86
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Indeed. But that post in particular was pertinent to this thread (with a view of people searching on a specific topic in the future).