Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 05:53 AM   #16
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
It is, though, inaccurate to refer to the firmware as "pirated", meeera.
[Side note: I didn't - that was EldRick.]
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #17
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
This has been going on for almost two years. Busted software that has plainly never been tested adequately.

Perhaps Kobo needs to fire the QA staff and start over?
The Kobo Touch firmware has its quirks and bugs, but I'd hardly call it "busted".

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 09-13-2012 at 06:07 AM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #18
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
[Side note: I didn't - that was EldRick.]
I'm so sorry - I have corrected it . I typed the original message just as I was running to the end of my free time before work, and for some reason your name was one the one at the tip of my typing fingers. In my (very weak) defence, I did think it was unusual for you to use that sort of hyperbole ...
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #19
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
The Kobo Touch firmware has its quirks and bugs, but I'd hardly call it "busted".
The only thing I might be tempted to call "busted" was the original 2.0.0 release that dramatically failed to install on some people's machines. Even then, the fact that it was only "some" could argue against any sensible use of the word anyway (though if I had gone through the endless square-dancing, I might have a different view!) Otherwise, I don't think we are dealing with more or worse bugs than any other e-reader.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #20
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
The only thing I might be tempted to call "busted" was the original 2.0.0 release that dramatically failed to install on some people's machines. Even then, the fact that it was only "some" could argue against any sensible use of the word anyway (though if I had gone through the endless square-dancing, I might have a different view!) Otherwise, I don't think we are dealing with more or worse bugs than any other e-reader.
Speaking as someone who owns and has tested several different readers, here I have to disagree. The Kobo by far is the worst user and tech support experience in the bunch. What exasperates most with Kobo is that frenquent updates only change the problems/quirks for a new set, moreso than resolve them.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #21
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmac View Post
Do you have any idea when 2.1.1 will be officially available in the UK?
Soon.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
I have noticed that some people have attempted to install version 2.1.1 on their Kobo Touch devices.

I wanted to discourage you from doing so until we offer this as an automatic upgrade over Wifi or the Desktop application. Installing the upgrade as a sideload could cause your device to stop working. We will have an official post when 2.1.X is available for everyone.

If you already have received 2.1.1 on your Kobo Touch device through the Desktop or over Wifi this is intentional and this build is safe for you to use on your device.
Too late.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #23
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Too late.
Hahahahaha
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #24
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Speaking as someone who owns and has tested several different readers, here I have to disagree. The Kobo by far is the worst user and tech support experience in the bunch. What exasperates most with Kobo is that frenquent updates only change the problems/quirks for a new set, moreso than resolve them.
Yes, it is true that there always seems to be a swapping of difficulties - one goes away but a new one appears!

I haven't had to deal with tech support (yet), but it seems to me that people compare Kobo - a relatively small outfit - with Kindle, with the might of Amazon behind them. This is unrealistic in my opinion, but then, as I am frequently told by people (including my wife) that I am the unrealistic one - I am an atypical user of technology that likes diagnosing and fixing (or working around) problems.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #25
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Too late.
Yep, same here. But I love it - no problems at all.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #26
wondergirl
wondergirl began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Hahahahaha
ditto LOL
wondergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #27
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
By far the best Kobo tech support is right here on mobileread. The Kobots... not so much.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #28
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
Quote:
The only thing I might be tempted to call "busted" was the original 2.0.0 release that dramatically failed to install on some people's machines.
And in relation to the thread at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190333 I wonder if the Kobo folk, including beta-testers, have at least one of each production model ereader for testing firmware?
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 AM   #29
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleBridge View Post
And in relation to the thread at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190333 I wonder if the Kobo folk, including beta-testers, have at least one of each production model ereader for testing firmware?
Something I've been wondering too. I think not, hence the problems with what seemed to be a discrete group in one geographical area. Also, since Kobo don't seem to advertise for beta-testers, how would they ensure they get an example of each in the wild?
Old 09-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #30
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
Even leaving out the severe difficulties with particular devices, the niggling problems which have been present in the upgrades have been really annoying. My device came with .14, but didn't include the wifi drivers, so I had to upgrade to .16, which had a real problem with missed page taps. Upgrading to .17 improved that, but removed the top margin from my books. 2.0 fixed that, but made page turning slow. 2.1 has fixed that, but there is still the annoying cover-switching bug. I can live with that, but this is the first firmware where I have not got fed up at some point and factory-resetted to .14 and lived without wifi in return for a decent reading experience.

And what is odd, is that all these problems have been immediately apparent to users, and don't seem to be device specific - which makes me wonder what kind of testing has gone on at kobo hq - how they were able to not notice that tab detection on .16 made menus unusable, for example, or whether they actually tested .17 with any sideloaded epubs. I don't want to invoke the thunder and fury of some users, and I still think my kobo is awesome, but these things have had a real effect on my enjoyment of the device.

In my opinion, the main issue has been with testing, as these bugs haven't been picked up. I think kobo should release 'testing' versions of the firmware in advance of the full release - on the understanding that it is installed at the users own risk - and only in a zip file so there is a small technological barrier to installing it. That way they could get feeback from more users and hopefully iron out some more bugs before the full release.

I love that kobo offers a real alternative to amazon, and supports the use of open epub formats and so on. This is partly why I don't want them to get a reputation for buggy firmware releases, because that kind of reputation can be hard to shake. For most people (at least in the uk), the kindle is the default ereader, which means that it wouldn't take much in the way of slip-ups from kobo to make it an easy choice for people to just go with the default.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote