Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
J.C. Hendee
Author
J.C. Hendee began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
I fully agree. Exactly same experience with writer2xhtml, in French language, though I proceed directly from Apache OpenOffice.

I complete writer2xhtml with Sigil mainly to add dropcaps and a multiple decoration. Here is the latest example EPUB.
Nicely done, though I've always had problems with dropcaps. Not in styling them but in the way so many different ereaders mess them up. JEdit mentioned by others is another good addition for one's toolkit... for those who want to stay with cross-platform tools. I prefer the like macro and automation functions of Komodo Edit (not cross-platform) or DreamWeaver (with more potent coding capability).

On that subtopic, are there other cross-platform pure code editors that others would recommend? I nevert export direct (X)HTML from a document file when it comes to EPUB creation, as it is an unnecessary step when using the likes of OpenOffice, LibreOffice, etc. But a decent (pure text) code editor is nice to have around for those special cases when the XHTML/CSS needs to be tweaked in an efficient environment that isn't a truck when only a scooter is needed. Other suggestions, anyone?
J.C. Hendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I don't know if it is cross-platform, but I always use Notepad++.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
Dillinquent
eBook pro
Dillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toys

Device: PC, iPad, Kindle, Kindle Fire, Galaxy Ace
Pre-Sigil Workflow

I used to use Word(2010) to clean up the styles and then save as filtered html (I don't know why MS call it filtered as the output is invariably full of junk CSS and every font on my system is embedded as panose definitions. - WTF?).
I then used DreamWeaver's 'Clean up Word HTML' (which has stagnated since Macromedia were Borged by Adobe) function to get rid of most of the cruft and converted the the file to XHTML 1.1 to make the resultant code valid. Usually I would then have to use DW's excellent search & replace to clear up any anomalies before finally importing into Sigil.

Nowadays I usually use Toxaris' rather good Transform_HTML macro, or LibreOffice with Writer2ePub and cut out the DW stage entirely.

Until 1999 MS used to have a tool called MSFilter which was very good at clearing all the crap out of Word HTML files and returned very clean HTML4, even from 'unfiltered' exports.
For some reason it is no longer available from MS but it is so useful that I have kept it on my HDD ever since and have attached it to this post.
Somewhat surprisingly it still works on Windows7, just follow the instructions in the .txt file. [please don't attach copyrighted files - moderator]

Last edited by dreams; 08-13-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Dillinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #19
J.C. Hendee
Author
J.C. Hendee began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7+
I too have missed that Word MSFilter tool, but I've found I no longer need it anymore with my current process. Nice of you to share but I don't see the link / attachment you mentioned. Or am I missing something here?

Last edited by J.C. Hendee; 08-17-2012 at 09:15 AM.
J.C. Hendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Looks like the link was removed by a moderator....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #21
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
I work on a Macintosh. I render an original file(s) as plain text and work in TextEdit. I do a find and replace on carriage returns with <p></p>. I open this file in Sigil and work on it from there.

Although Apple Pages word processor has an epub export, I am not familiar enough with it to recommend it. I have and ocassinally use TextWrangler, but it's like using heavy construction equipment when I need garden tools.
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #22
lrui
Enthusiast
lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lrui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook simple touch
Mostly,i use epubbuilder,it's a Chinese free software,it could import doc,txt,html,chm,epub,umd file and then generate epub file.
It's a simple and strong word peocessor.

Normally,i use it to convert my manuscript to epub, its source code is very clean and comfortable,and use sigil to do more complex formatting like regex,chapter breaking etc.

BTW,it support English user interface.

Last edited by lrui; 08-19-2012 at 08:55 PM.
lrui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #23
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
I like the converter at word2cleanhtml.com -- couldn't be cleaner! Just paste it in, choose curly quotes, and go.

One must provide the html template, since there is none, and one must check for the occasional infelicity, mainly where a full stop or other punctuation follows an italicized word, since the software has a tendency to put the </em> and the full stop (whatever) on separate lines, with the result that there is a space before the punctuation mark.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I don't know if it is cross-platform, but I always use Notepad++.
I use Notepad++ as well and it is Windows only.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, you can work in Word, but use text markup to note where things go like bold, italics, any graphics, etc. Then save as text and go from there. It's a lot easier then cleaning up the mess that Words outputs.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #26
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
I have found Word to do a good job. I make sure that every bit of the document has been assigned a style - never use Ctrl-B for bold or anything like that.
Then save as a filtered web page.
In Sigil, I delete all the style lines that Word puts in the head element (usually about 500 lines!), then enter the link to the external stylesheet where I have all the styles listed.
I then do a search and replace for all the MsoNormal styles and replace them with a regular paragraph.
You now have a clean document!
Bob
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
html, tool, word processors