Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Removing books from Kobo iPhone app

I have a lot of books in my Kobo library, and I buy a lot of new ones since I keep getting discount codes. But when I open my kobo app on my iPod touch, it downloads every new book I've purchased and never deletes any old ones. I have books in my app I finished a year ago and don't plan to read again, but there they sit, taking up space on my iPod.

There is an option to "delete from library," but I was afraid this meant it would delete it from my Kobo library entirely. I tried it on a free book and sure enough, it's entirely gone. I just want to remove books I've already read, as well as remove books I've purchased but don't plan to read yet, going me the option to download them once I'm ready to read them.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
deleting free books does totally remove them, or has for me do far

if you delete a book you have bought, it gets moved into a trash (archive) section of your library, this gets rid of it from the devices only, unfortunatly to get it back to read you need to log into a web browser and go to the trash section of your library and select undelete, the app will then download next to you run it

the way I deal with this is, if you go into settings on your iPod (iPod settings not within the Kobo app) and scroll down to the Kobo app, in here you can select how many books it stores permanently, I have mine set to 5 books, meaning it will always keep the 5 most recent books and remove others from the Library when iOS decides to do a clear up of space, if you want to read the others, tap on them and they are downloaded, this saves space on the iPod. (from library you will see books that are available but not downloaded have a message 'Tap to Download')
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
the way I deal with this is, if you go into settings on your iPod (iPod settings not within the Kobo app) and scroll down to the Kobo app, in here you can select how many books it stores permanently, I have mine set to 5 books, meaning it will always keep the 5 most recent books and remove others from the Library when iOS decides to do a clear up of space, if you want to read the others, tap on them and they are downloaded, this saves space on the iPod. (from library you will see books that are available but not downloaded have a message 'Tap to Download')
Yeah, I had mine set to only keep the most 5 recent books as well, but it makes no difference. It never deletes old books. I recently changed it to keep only the books I'm reading, but it still downloads and keeps books I haven't opened.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad / iPhone / Kobo Touch
As of a few versions ago, the iOS app should by default only download your 5 most recent books (and any new books as they are added to your library). Unless you tap the Download All button all your other books should remain in your library in a 'Tap to Download' state.
lessthanyouthink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
How many books have you got ?

My library is about 80 books and approx 50% have the tap to download next to them (not currently stored on my iPod)
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
tecweston
Comic book artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthanyouthink View Post
As of a few versions ago, the iOS app should by default only download your 5 most recent books (and any new books as they are added to your library). Unless you tap the Download All button all your other books should remain in your library in a 'Tap to Download' state.
Not all the books are downloaded (some have the "tap to download" under it), but 70% of my library is downloaded onto the iPod, including books I haven't opened in over a year. Every time I buy a new book, it downloads to the iPod even if I don't open the file, and it never deletes any old books.

Last edited by tecweston; 04-21-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
tecweston
Comic book artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
How many books have you got ?

My library is about 80 books and approx 50% have the tap to download next to them (not currently stored on my iPod)
I'm going to count:

22 books in my library.
7 of them have "tap to download" under them.
2 of them are currently open (listed as "I'm Reading")
5 of the ones that are downloaded to my iPod have already been finished.

That leaves 13 unwanted books on my iPod that are taking up space.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad / iPhone / Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
…Every time I buy a new book, it downloads to the iPod even if I don't open the file, and it never deletes any old books.
That's correct… improving storage management is something we could work on, I agree.
lessthanyouthink is offline   Reply With Quote