Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
what is the point of screen saver?

can someone explain to me what is the point of having a screen saver when the reader does not consume any power to display the page? Going to screen saver actually uses more power because it consumes power to change the page in the screen saver and changing it back.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
No idea... I turn it off and instead display the message
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
can someone explain to me what is the point of having a screen saver when the reader does not consume any power to display the page? Going to screen saver actually uses more power because it consumes power to change the page in the screen saver and changing it back.

I like having the screen savers because then I know the machine is in the 'rest' mode and it's okay to touch the screen or push the buttons. I only do my screen cleaning when the screen saver is on.

And I won't panic if I do push the buttons and nothing happens if I set it down for a bit, because it's gone into it's rest mode. Sometimes I don't realize I've put it down long enough for it to turn off.

I like them as just a quick reminder of what state the machine is in.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
I like having the screen savers because then I know the machine is in the 'rest' mode and it's okay to touch the screen or push the buttons. I only do my screen cleaning when the screen saver is on.
This.

And also: some people think it's nice to have a cool (or pretty, or gross) picture showing.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Have to admit I had similar thoughts to FinancialWar when I first bought my T1 it seemed like a pointless waste of two or 3 page refreshes, I don't mind it as much now that I have Calibre setup to displaying the proper covers as screensavers and my battery life has been much better than what others seem to be getting anyway.

Actually I quite like it now if I'm honest depending on the book cover it can look pretty good. I do think there should be an option to turn it off completely if someone wants to mind you.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
WST
WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I like the book cover displayed. However, currently I'm reading a book that has a cover with large black block letters and after it's been in the screensaver mode (displaying the cover) for about a day, when I returned to reading the book, I found a ver faint ghost image of the large block letters on the screen. After a few page advances it got cleared up.

That got me worried and now I have a blank page instead of the the book cover as a screen saver.

Has anyone experienced such a problem?
WST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
I get the impression that the black e-ink "micro-bubbles" are supposed to have the opposite electric charge of their white counterparts, right?

Assuming thats true, then ghosting and the slow refresh might be an indication of some inherent "stickiness" or sluggishness of the charged particals.

If you were to use an all black screen-saver could that mean that, eventually, the white backround will become grayer? Or conversely, when using the all white one, that the displayed text will gradually become lighter?

Could this be the reason for all the flashing? And, if so, might it be unwise to leave the device's display in ANY static mode, for an extended amount of time?

Maybe that's why there is a slideshow?

OTOH, the T1 came turned off, with a white screen, out of the box. So it could be SONY thinks the best stby-screen is all white like when you turn it off or use a white screensaver.

But WAIT, maybe that's just what SONY wants us to think! After all, they might think they can sell more units if they don't last as long.

Perhaps someone knows someone at the E-Ink company whom they could ask?

Of course E-Ink wants to sell lotsa units too. If I think about it anymore I'm gonna blow a fuse
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I am older so the cover of the current book I am reading on the Sony is a good thing. I don't necessarily remember what I was reading on which reader.

Age aside it is akin to the feeling of picking up a book you are reading and glancing at the cover. If it a favorite author or an extremely good book I get a small rush of pleasure from viewing the cover. Weird probably, but one takes ones pleasures where one can.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If you came back to your reader and it was in sleep mode, you'd not know if the page wasn't changed or cleared. You'd read the page, try to turn the page and it would not work. Then you'd realize it was in sleep mode, hit the power button and continue but you'd be annoyed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you came back to your reader and it was in sleep mode, you'd not know if the page wasn't changed or cleared. You'd read the page, try to turn the page and it would not work. Then you'd realize it was in sleep mode, hit the power button and continue but you'd be annoyed.
This is exactly the reason I use a screen saver on mine.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
whatever floats your boat, but that is not my boat.

Sony should have at least included an option to turn the screen saver off like they did in prs 650.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:20 AM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
whatever floats your boat, but that is not my boat.
Sony should have at least included an option to turn the screen saver off like they did in prs 650.
What do you mean? In settings for the standby screen select none for type of image.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Financial War,

Ummm what Bookworm_Girl said. You can turn off the screen saver. It was the first thing I did with my T1. I never think that hard about it, but I'm just not a fan of screensavers.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
PaulPosition
Enthusiast
PaulPosition began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Well, obviously not even Sony calls it a screensaver so you can stop with the "there's nothing to save, it's fraudulent marketing or whatever" -thing already.

It's a convenience thing. Go to Kindle forums and see people hacking their device to show covers when idle rather than fancy flowers graphics that are included with the device? That's because they LIKE to see a cover on their device.
PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
FinancialWar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post
Financial War,

Ummm what Bookworm_Girl said. You can turn off the screen saver. It was the first thing I did with my T1. I never think that hard about it, but I'm just not a fan of screensavers.

I tried, I did what bookwork_girl said, but the screen still go blank after 10 minutes, I want the screen to stay on forever.