Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Will the new Kindle(s) touch change your mind about getting a Nook Touch?
Yes 27 24.32%
No 73 65.77%
I don't know yet 11 9.91%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #31
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No, but the Sony Wifi PRS-T1 would if I was looking for a reader.
Yeah as you can see I'm still on the fence between the Nook and Reader since it has not yet been released, and there are some details I need to know before committing to it.

If Amazon did anything to show any more "openness" such as sd-card or epub support I would have considered it but it's off my list now.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #32
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I voted no, as I was not planning to buy a Nook
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #33
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
lol, free as in buy books from Amazon and we will store them here for you in our "cloud". How is that different from B&N book store? Maybe they just aren't using marketing buzz-words to mislead people.

I personally like that Nook has potential to store up to 32gb of any content the device, an option you don't have on any Kindle.
I'm talking about the New Personal Archiving. 5GB of free cloud storage for personal documents, and annotations and last page read backup and synchronization for free with book no purchased from Amazon (but DRM free) or personal documents. So, you have the same wireslessly service with personal documents as you receive with books purchased for Amazon: download everywhere, read everywhere; don't worry about losing any of your books or personal documents as those are all stored centrally on Amazon.

The cloud storage for Amazon content, on the other hand, is unlimited.

By the way, do you know anyone whose has more than 4GB of books on his device? That is an insane amount of books; probably 4.000 books.

All the rookies have issues with the storage capacity before they use their first device. Later, they understand that an ereader is not an Ipad
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:28 AM   #34
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I stand corrected, I didn't know about that, it is a nice feature that they allow an additional 5 gb.

But that is still much less than what is possible with an sdcard
Old 10-02-2011, 03:46 AM   #35
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
I really, REALLY hope that Nook users aren't trolling the Kindle forums the way Kindle users troll over here. I hope we're collectively, better than that.

But in response to this poll, no. I'm invested in epub and BN and there's no experience that Amazon can give me that will match reading my Nook in-store.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:00 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Wow, they still don't have sdcard support? should have added that to my list.
It's completely unnecessary. I currently have 636 books on my Kindle, many of them large omnibus editions. I have 2250MB of storage space free, from the total 3.25GB. Honestly, if you're using the Kindle purely for reading, an SD card slot is not a requirement.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:16 AM   #37
crashed
Connoisseur
crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch
My opinion is this: If you haven't already bought a Kindle, it's likely you still won't. If anything these new touch models are finely catching up to the Nook Touch. The only real incentive is the X-Ray feature, something B&N can easily do as well with a update. Otherwise there's really nothing new here to be said for the Kindles.

Comes down to you liking Amazon's store, their format, and their eBook practices (which I do not, which is what held me back on them.)

Right now I just want a good cheap tablet so I can have both BN or Amazon if I choose.
crashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 AM   #38
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
I really, REALLY hope that Nook users aren't trolling the Kindle forums the way Kindle users troll over here. I hope we're collectively, better than that.

But in response to this poll, no. I'm invested in epub and BN and there's no experience that Amazon can give me that will match reading my Nook in-store.

If you're writing about MobileRead, please be aware that we do not tolerate trolling in any of our forums and, when they occur, the issue is dealt with decisiviely - regardless of whether one has a nook or a Kindle (or both devices, as in my situation).

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #39
log

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's completely unnecessary. I currently have 636 books on my Kindle, many of them large omnibus editions. I have 2250MB of storage space free, from the total 3.25GB. Honestly, if you're using the Kindle purely for reading, an SD card slot is not a requirement.
...for you. What if for example someone wants to store a library of audiobooks? Or they want to have a their own copy of Project Guttenberg available for them all the time?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
...for you. What if for example someone wants to store a library of audiobooks? Or they want to have a their own copy of Project Guttenberg available for them all the time?
With a 3G Kindle, I can access PG any time I wish to, so for me that's not an issue. Obviously, everyone needs to do what's right for them.

I wouldn't have thought it would be practical to store an audiobook library on SD media - they're too big. I have mine on an external USB hard disk (and my eBook library too).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #41
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashed View Post
My opinion is this: If you haven't already bought a Kindle, it's likely you still won't.
You may be right about most MR members, but not about people in general. The e-reader market is still no where near saturation, and Amazon and B&N are a lot more interested in drawing in consumers with no e-reader than winning over those who use another brand.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #42
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I have a Nook STR but it has only whetted my appetite for Kindle Touch. The nook is too stripped down, and there have not been any meaningful updates to address things like text selection issues, lack of multi-level TOC, and the strange behavior of the Text Options panel. My impression is that they won't get around to it, most of the same problems exist on Nook Color and haven't been fixed.

Lack of SD is not an issue for me. Nook won't even let me delete my own content without hooking up to a computer. Amazon is hooking up 5Gb of free cloud storage for 'Personal documents' which will sync and backup bookmarks. Kindles can also download content from the web (including dropbox, calibre content server), and you can push content to it via email. That's much more functional for me than Nook's very restrictive use of wifi, and more convenient also.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #43
johnnyK
Banned
johnnyK began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I have a Nook STR but it has only whetted my appetite for Kindle Touch. The nook is too stripped down, and there have not been any meaningful updates to address things like text selection issues, lack of multi-level TOC, and the strange behavior of the Text Options panel. My impression is that they won't get around to it, most of the same problems exist on Nook Color and haven't been fixed.

Lack of SD is not an issue for me. Nook won't even let me delete my own content without hooking up to a computer. Amazon is hooking up 5Gb of free cloud storage for 'Personal documents' which will sync and backup bookmarks. Kindles can also download content from the web (including dropbox, calibre content server), and you can push content to it via email. That's much more functional for me than Nook's very restrictive use of wifi, and more convenient also.

You don't have to hook up your nook to delete or archive your books. You can do it straight from your digital managment on "My Account" and when your nooks connects to wifi the changes will automatically happen or upon refresh.

What is Barnes and noble doing that is restrictive with it's wifi? Anywhere there is wifi you can connect including all at&t's wifif hotspots. Barnes and noble does put in any restrictiions.

You can also store your books in "cloud" with the nook, it's called archiving. They may not use the term "cloud" but it's the exact samething. Storing your digital content.

Last edited by johnnyK; 10-02-2011 at 10:53 PM.
johnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #44
johnnyK
Banned
johnnyK began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
I stand corrected, I didn't know about that, it is a nice feature that they allow an additional 5 gb.

But that is still much less than what is possible with an sdcard
let alone that Barnes and Noble does digitally store your library and can archive books off your device to open up space or just make it more managable ( and as far as I know this is unlimite cloud storage) in addition to offering an SD card slot for more memory or to store and transfer books from other devices that use ePub and from your Calibre library
johnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #45
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Device: Barnes & Noble NOOKclassic
I believe tomsem is talking about personal documents, i.e. ones not bought from the Amazon Kindle store or the BN NOOKbook store, in which case that is fair enough.
But isn't the legalities of doing that sort of thing legally questionable? I'd be interested in what the various publishers have to say in regards to making copies of intellectual property (possibly of dubious origins) on Amazon servers, much like their music mirroring plans.
Plus, then we have the minefield of US data laws if you live in a different country and do not accept their laws on seizing illegal data, and indeed their definition of illegal and the like. I wonder where all the Amazon servers are stored, does anybody know?
Whilst it's a non-issue for presumably most people, it's still worth consideration.

Last edited by firefox; 10-02-2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote