Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
CNN's "SmartTraveler" chooses PRS-505 over kindle

Here's a video review I found while farting around on CNN today...

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/int...eller.book.cnn

He gives a quick overview of both and declares the Sony the winner. Obviously quite light on details.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
For some reason, the link didn't work for me, but this one does:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...eller.book.cnn
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
This video is a just a little bizarre...I like it. It's good to see that he made the same choice as me in terms of e-book Readers, but he keeps doing things that make me wince just a little bit because of the extreme care I take to make sure I don't crack the screen, all capped off by a nice, hearty snap of the cover right at the end! Haven't had a chance to travel with mine yet, but I'm glad it enhances the experience for him.

Just for fun, here's a list of the things I see him doing that jumped out at me in terms of putting the device at risk:
  • Putting it right on the edge of a bed
  • Keeping it stuffed in a travel bag
  • Walking around with it held to the Kindle by an elastic strap (don't see this one being a problem for most people)
  • Holding the Kindle in one hand with his thumb on the screen
  • The aforementioned snapping of the case
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This totally shakes my world ... I'm just not used to agreeing with CNN!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Both links worked for me, a good report I think. Richard is a little hyper for me
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #6
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
I'm not sure how much value his endorsement carries...... (c8
(that guy is a strange ranger)

It's pretty clear that the Kindle loses some of it most endearing features when the wireless is not functional. Probably not the best choice for a world traveler.

My son watched the video and at the final SNAP he said, 'He just broke it!'

PCH
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:27 AM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Entertaining, but awfully vague on specifics. I ended up with no clear idea why he liked the Sony over the Kindle. Both had their pluses and minuses but he like the Sony a lot more, but why?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:32 AM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
At some point he said something like "the Sony feels more like a book". Purely subjective of course, but it seems this is what made him pick his choice.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:43 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
At some point he said something like "the Sony feels more like a book". Purely subjective of course, but it seems this is what made him pick his choice.
Maybe also check out this write-up: http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/01/15...ion=cnn_latest

Quote:
Sony Reader wins the Smart Traveller test for its design and style
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:59 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
You are wrong.

This is what I used to say!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:23 AM   #11
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
on my second day of using my new 505 that's what I've found the device dissapears and it feels like a paperback
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:06 AM   #12
tobiasj
surrounded by books
tobiasj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, PRS-500, PRS-505, Rocket e-book
Talking

You know, the whole feels more like a book thing is exactly what has kept me from getting a Kindle.
I like everything else about it (in an "on paper" way) I like the idea of a keyboard, but I don't actually like the Kindle's and really unless your using it, it is in the way. I like the idea of wireless connectivity and the ability to never use a computer to add books, but I don't like the battery life cost. I love the lower cost of books and the selection on amazon, but it is still (to ME, this is ONLY an opinion) the ugliest piece of consumer electronics I have seen in years, possibly decades...

When I am reading my 500 it really does become a book. The sedate grey/blue color fades out and since it is almost all screen you really don't get distracted by the bordering metal case. I can only imaging the loud busy kindle surrounding the screen would really distract me and having the couple inches of keyboard hanging off the bottom all the time would bother me. I guess I would really need to hold one and try reading on it before I was sure, but since I don't know anyone who has one, that probably isn't going to happen.

-John
tobiasj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
wonder if he was high while making that video? he just got busted for drugs

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351770,00.html
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #14
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
wonder if he was high while making that video? he just got busted for drugs

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351770,00.html

Now that's funny. I guess if you read while you're high, read the Sony. If sober, Kindle is your choice.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
Was nice to see this link and watch the CNN video review of both products. I am in general agreement with most here, that the Sony 505 is a superior unit - at least if your goal is reading books electronically and you have access to and are even modestly computer literate.

The only additions to the Sony I owuld like to see are:
(1) Ability to read Mobipocket formatted books (PRC)
(2) Ability to delete an item from the ereader directly rather than having to hook it to your computer to do so via the Connect PC software
(3)Support for every ebook format in existence.

Of lesser importance to me in an ereader:
(1) It would be nice to have access to a dictionary from time to time, but not a big deal.
(2) WiFi access to the Internet for things like Wikipaedia and downloading books would be nice.

I am sure that Sony will come out with a product somewhat like the Kindle - after all the Kindle was built based on the Sony but with more features. Either that or the Kindle will come out in the next version and be superior to its current rather clumsy appearance.

Bob
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote