Notices

Old 11-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #1
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Question [iOS] Default Size Column

Hi Chaley,

When I use the size default column in Calibre, I notice that CC doesn't seem to show or calculate the value correctly, and I'm not sure if this is an error or where the problem is if there is one (Calibre, iOS CC, Android CC). Calibre seems to be displaying it correctly so I think the 'error' is with the iOS version. Not sure if it is also displaying it strangely in the Android version. Of course, this could just be the way it displays but I think it is wrong for me.

Maybe I am getting it to display in Calibre incorrectly. Calibre only displays it in MB whereas CC seems to be displaying it in KB but its not calculating correctly either. Ideally I would like it to display in the following KB, MB, GB format. I think I'm actually finding the following two errors for CC:
  1. CC is not calculating size correctly
  2. CC is not displaying the same as Calibre

CC does not display size in KB, MB & GB

System

Mac OS: macOS High Sierra
Version: 10.13.1

Calibre: 3.12
iOS CC: 1.3.2

Error

Calibre: 42.80 MB
CC:31761 KB

Calibre: 0.61 MB
CC: 519 KB

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
As I have said before, I can't speak with authority for how iOS CC works, but I suspect that in this case iOS CC does the same thing as Android CC (aCC). aCC reports the file size in bytes of the book file stored on the device as provided by the operating sustem. It does not attempt to round the number to MB, etc. There is no guarantee that the operating system provides the actual size of the file content. It could instead be providing the amount of storage that the file consumes along with any file metadata.

Calibre's size column reports the size of the largest format file for the book, rounded to true MB etc (divided by 1024 * 1024 instead of 1000 * 1000). This number will never match the value in *CC because of the rounding.

If you want to see calibre's size column in either iCC or aCC then you must create a column built from other columns. The template would be
Code:
program: format_number(divide(booksize(), 1048576), '{0:.1f} MB')
Personally, I don't see the use. Why does one need to know the size of a format that isn't on the device?

EDIT: It is also possible for the calibre number to be wrong. This happens if someone replaces a book format in some manner other then through calibre.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, companion, size