Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
rabe3ab
Enthusiast
rabe3ab began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Unhappy Kindle comic converter gives very huge file sizes

When I try to convert a folder of photos to mobi or epub using KCC I got a file which is way bigger than the folder I started with. It's about two or three times the size of the original folder. I keep the options on default.
Is there something wrong that I did?

Last edited by rabe3ab; 12-13-2015 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Typo
rabe3ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Nope.

KCC uses kindlegen internally, and kindlegen creates dual-MOBI with both MOBI and AZW3 sections, as well as the source input.

KCC uses the option "-dont_append_source" but there is no way to avoid generating a dual-MOBI.
You can use KindleUnpack to separate the AZW3 and MOBI (and just keep the MOBI).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
rabe3ab
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Nope.

KCC uses kindlegen internally, and kindlegen creates dual-MOBI with both MOBI and AZW3 sections, as well as the source input.

KCC uses the option "-dont_append_source" but there is no way to avoid generating a dual-MOBI.
You can use KindleUnpack to separate the AZW3 and MOBI (and just keep the MOBI).
I tried KindleUnpack but it gave me two files (mobi and azw) which each of them has the same size of the mobi file I had
Old 12-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabe3ab View Post
I tried KindleUnpack but it gave me two files (mobi and azw) which each of them has the same size of the mobi file I had
With respect, I don't see how that's possible!

The size of the so-called "mobi" that the KDP conversion (or KindleGen or Kindle Previewer) produces doesn't have a whole lot to do with the size of the book that is delivered to the ultimate buyer. Why is the large size a problem? Are you worried about the 15 cents / MB download fee?
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IIRC, images are only stored once, and accessed by both component sections. Sorry.
But there should be *some* savings.

If you say the split AZW3 or MOBI is still twice as big as your input files, that means the content itself has gotten bigger.
Perhaps the images were re-encoded?
Advert
Old 12-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
With respect, I don't see how that's possible!

The size of the so-called "mobi" that the KDP conversion (or KindleGen or Kindle Previewer) produces doesn't have a whole lot to do with the size of the book that is delivered to the ultimate buyer. Why is the large size a problem? Are you worried about the 15 cents / MB download fee?
Why are you automatically assuming that the OP wants to upload their ebook to the KDP?
Where has the OP said they are an author?
I would like to know if the KDP even supports complex books with comic formatting, I thought it and Fixed-Format required access to their large-publisher FTP channels.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:37 AM   #7
rabe3ab
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I really don't want to sell anything, I was just converting some comics to read on my kindle and noticed the file size increase
Old 12-16-2015, 03:38 AM   #8
rabe3ab
Enthusiast

Quote:
IIRC, images are only stored once, and accessed by both component sections. Sorry.
But there should be *some* savings.

If you say the split AZW3 or MOBI is still twice as big as your input files, that means the content itself has gotten bigger.
Perhaps the images were re-encoded?
is kindle comic converter known to re-encode images or increase their size??
Old 12-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Why are you automatically assuming that the OP wants to upload their ebook to the KDP?
Where has the OP said they are an author?
I'll stay out of that one.
Quote:
I would like to know if the KDP even supports complex books with comic formatting, I thought it and Fixed-Format required access to their large-publisher FTP channels.
Yupperdoodle, it most surely does. I have clients that have uploaded FXL, Kids' books, comic books, you-name-it. Non-FTP clients.

You do not need to be uploading via FTP to use Amazon's Kindle Comics Creator, nor to upload a FXL file of any kind. Yes, you can run into some issues, but the uploader is specifically looking for certain types of metadata indicating FXL, Comics, etc.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:03 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Ah, my lack of KDP experience shows.

But they do stop you from using Print Replica?
Old 12-17-2015, 12:25 AM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, my lack of KDP experience shows.

But they do stop you from using Print Replica?
Oui. More accurately, they don't make the specs, etc., for PR available to we mere mortals. <snicker>. On a more serious note, WhiteGlove provides PR to Amazon clients. Just as they kept KTC under wraps for a long time, (essentially the same thing, actually better), but finally released it to the general public.

Hitch
Old 12-17-2015, 02:08 AM   #12
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Kindle Comic Converter definitively should not be used to publish any e-books.

Yes. It produce hybrid MOBI/AZW3 file but images are stored only once.

Size increase is most commonly caused by enabled upscaling or HQ zoom.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 12-17-2015 at 03:18 PM.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
KCC definitively should not be used to publish any e-books.

I would point out, ever so politely, that it's an easy error for a visitor to these fora to make--that someone is using Amazon's program, Kindle Comic CREATOR, for a book to be published, rather than Kindle Comic CONVERTER, which is your program. When people type "KCC," without qualification, it's not out of the realm of reality for someone like notjohn to assume that they are using the official "KCC," and intend for the output to be published on Amazon.

Offered solely FWIW.

Hitch
Old 12-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #14
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I admit that might be confusing. Abberation used by Kindle Comic Creator authors: KC2 is not used by anybody else...
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #15
rabe3ab
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
Kindle Comic Converter definitively should not be used to publish any e-books.

I didn't use HQ zoom and the upscale is enabled by default

Tags
comics