Notices

Old 03-08-2021, 06:36 AM   #1
Henning
Enthusiast
Henning began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Access the GUI via browser / IP

Hallo

I would like to access my calibre library via browser / IP from another computer. Not the content server but with the "full featured gui".
Within the local network would do - via internet would be perfect.

Edit:
Calibre is running on a MacMini (end 2012, core i5), I'm not really using that computer - only for server tasks. Calibre was running for some years now on a Synology-NAS docker: which was fine, but the maintenance of the gui was a bit unpleased. Especially that it was not possible to use special letters like äÄöÖé etc. - so I decided to use my old MacMini. As this machine hosts a Serversoftware for my music it is running anyway.

I connect to the MacMini from another macOS machine with "Bildschirmfreigabe" (a build in MacOS program). That actually works fine - but it would be nice to have a browser / IP connection to the GUI. I need to have a monitor plugged in to the Mac mini (or the program "Bildschirmfreigabe" gets "confused").

Is it possible to connect to the calibre-GUI via LAN / IP? and if so - how (or where to find a "how to"?)

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Henning; 03-08-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:44 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Only if you keep your library in a cloud storage (I keep mine in Dropbox). But since a Calibre library is not really meant to be accessed from several different computers, it's easily corrupted. You must always pause the background syncing when you open Calibre, and you can only have one instance of your library open at once, anywhere. Also you should run the library check often, because mistakes do happen. If you ignore these rules, you'll end up with a messed up library very quickly. So most people don't use their library this way.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2021, 08:05 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Why not use remote control (VNC Google Remote, LetMeIn) to access the machine that has calibre installed
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:38 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Why not use remote control (VNC Google Remote, LetMeIn) to access the machine that has calibre installed
or if you Calibre PC is Windows PRO: Remote desktop connection.
The remote can be anything (inc Linux) . I even have a RDC app on my Android Tablet.

RDC allows extending the file system, so you could even drop new books into the Auto-Add folder remotely
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:19 AM   #5
Henning
Enthusiast
Henning began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks for the support!

I might have been a bit short in my first post (I will fix that)
Calibre is running on a MacMini (end 2012, core i5), I'm not really using that computer - only for server tasks. Calibre was running for some years now on a Synology-NAS docker: which was fine, but the maintenance of the gui was a bit unpleased. Especially that it was not possible to use special letters like äÄöÖé etc. - so I decided to use my old MacMini. As this machine hosts a Serversoftware for my music it is running anyway.

I connect to the MacMini from another macOS machine with "Bildschirmfreigabe" (a build in MacOS program). That actually works fine - but it would be nice to have a browser / IP connection to the GUI. I need to have a monitor plugged in to the Mac mini (or the program "Bildschirmfreigabe" gets "confused").

@sirtel: I'm not a big fan of dropbox any longer. I don't trust that company to guaranty my privacy.

Any solutions for a browser / IP connection to the GUI?
Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
access, gui, internet access, network connection