Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #31
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Dialog boxes, whether modal or not interrupt the workflow, the old dialog box was a non-modal dialog box. The new one is not a dialog box at all.
Yes, I see your point Kovid, there is an interruption of one sort or another.

As I said I am easy whatever way and of course I was selfishly influenced by my own workflow in my frequent use of the Modify Epub plugin (one of the ones mentioned by Cybmole) which is not affected by any interruption.

For the Modify ePub plugin's action (and for Cybmole's mention of Count Pages too which I have since had a play with) I do wonder though how often it is that anyone actually clicks "No" rather than "Yes" at the completion message?

It has always seemed to me that Modify ePub (and Count Pages too) is a tool that one ran and accepted the consequences of as one cannot actually see if anything has been screwed up without actually accepting the changes and then viewing the modified book (the log does give guidance as to changes made though). If the book has been screwed up (never happened over hundreds of runs in my own experience), or if for reasons that escape me one decides while it is running that one really didn't want to run the plugin after all and so would click "No", one has the ORIGINAL_EPUB to fall back on. I think this has also been at the back of my mind in my personally liking the idea here of the mouse snappping to "OK" in a modal box as I always click "OK".

Taking the example of Count Pages, other applications such as MSWord do not expect any acceptance by the user of the count, they assume that if one asks for the page, word, etc., count then what is the harm in displaying it without asking if the user still wants it?

But as I have said, I am easy on this, no great deal and just a regurgitation of what's influenced me, as I am sure I will survive always navigating down to the bottom right corner to find "OK" and clicking it .

Last edited by AnotherCat; 10-28-2014 at 05:19 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #32
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
wrong thread

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-28-2014 at 08:05 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2014, 02:57 AM   #33
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post

For the Modify ePub plugin's action (and for Cybmole's mention of Count Pages too which I have since had a play with) I do wonder though how often it is that anyone actually clicks "No" rather than "Yes" at the completion message?

).
that's a very good point. modify epub it pops up & says Ok I am about to modify the book, with the settings you are seeing on screen, shall I go for it - & you get to say yes or no.
its a bit silly that it comes back a minute later to say, OK, shall I file the results or have you changed your mind already. we could just lose that 2nd dialogue. unless it "needs" the 2nd permission for some arcane technical reason.

count pages: that just starts, I was wrong to say it needs an initial yes/no - but it needs one at the end, and that could be ditched also I reckon, i'ts an unnecessary click ,with no snap-to to help out.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:57 AM   #34
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

another one: add books - duplicate(s) found- the mouse pointer moves to that pop up box , making it the active window, but NOT to the OK button - maybe that one is intentional ?
Old 10-29-2014, 04:06 AM   #35
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

cybmole & AnotherCat - jhowell gave you the clue.

If you don't want the end of job messages from CountPages and/or Modify then remove the calls to the proceed_question 'whatever python calls a subroutine'.

They're in the action.py modules, at lines 222 and 100 respectively. Unzip PI, edit action.py with Notepad+ or something thereabouts, and rezip (with no compression for best performance). The PI's are very stable - apart from the update for calibre V2.0, Count Pages hasn't changed in over a year, and that was as a consequence of calibre V1.0.

BTW most (all?) proceed_questions don't have an OK button, they have Yes and No buttons - just for a giggle press Alt/Y next time you see one of the Yes buttons.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-29-2014 at 04:28 AM.
Advert
Old 10-29-2014, 04:26 AM   #36
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

If you don't want the end of job messages from CountPages and/or Modify remove the calls to the proceed_question 'whatever python calls a subroutine'.

They're the action.py modules, at lines 222 and 100 respectively..

BR
i searched for action.py in both app data & program files - no hits - are they inside of zips where windows search is not looking ?
- ok i found them - now do I take out only the single lines you said - which seem to be part of some larger if...then structure ?

e.g. in count pages it looks to my amateurish eye that i'd need to cut most / all of lines 200-225:
Code:
msg = '<p>Count Pages plugin found <b>%d statistics(s)</b>. ' % len(all_ids) + \
                  'Proceed with updating columns in your library?'
            self.gui.proceed_question(self._update_database_columns,
                    payload, job.details,
                    'Count log', 'Count complete', msg,
                    show_copy_button=False)

Last edited by cybmole; 10-29-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:40 AM   #37
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Suck it and see - you'll never, never know if you never, never go - to see what's over the edge of the abyss

I'm not interested in not having the messages - because I run the PI's on multiple books and edit the metadata in the book list whist they're chugging away. I need to know they've finished so I can get on with the next step in the process.

If you're anxious - backup your library first.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-29-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #38
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There is a Reason to ask

Some CURRENT activity may be needing to update the Database entries associated with the record that would clash with a background task if it just completed uncontrolled.
The Dialog is 'Are you ready'

BTW I have had my hand smacked because I started a Count Pages and spotted a Metadata Typo in one of the books and tried to change it (it would result in 2 changes for the same record at the same time )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #39
cybmole
Wizard

that makes sense - I will live in hope a a snap-to the oK button at some point.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #40
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

If you don't want the end of job messages from CountPages and/or Modify then remove the calls to the proceed_question 'whatever python calls a subroutine'...
Yes, I saw that but I prefer to put up with the end messages rather than remembering to maintain someone else's plugin code every time they update it .
Old 10-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #41
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Yes, I saw that but I prefer to put up with the end messages rather than remembering to maintain someone else's plugin code every time they update it .
Aaah - the old - it's more better to whinge about a problem than to do anything to fix it syndrome - they'll never find a cure for that

BR
Old 10-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #42
AnotherCat

Quote:
Aaah - the old - it's more better to whinge about a problem than to do anything to fix it syndrome - they'll never find a cure for that

BR
I know you meant a laugh . But in fact, just for the sake of good order , actually haven't complained, several times I mentioned I was easy on the matter and was no great deal as far as I was concerned.

Have you got yer cat to sort your mouse out yet?
Old 10-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #43
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Nah - she's too busy nursing her kittens.

Besides I lent my torx screwdriver set to someone, and they can't find them - or their dog ate them. So I'll have to go buy another set.

Added - on a more constructive and serious note the Polish feature suggests a means to have/not-have the end-of-job dialogues - see attachment. Would need to have a Show Report check box on the Modify and Count Pages option/configuration dialogues, unchecked would suppress the end-of-job dialogue.

The Polish feature does not use the slide up dialogue style - so at end of job it will interrupt any foreground activity - whereas Modify wont

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	130324  

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-29-2014 at 08:38 PM. Reason: See Added
Old 10-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #44
AnotherCat

Quote:
...the Polish feature suggests a means to have/not-have the end-of-job dialogues - see attachment. Would need to have a Show Report check box on the Modify and Count Pages option/configuration dialogues, unchecked would suppress the end-of-job dialogue.

The Polish feature does not use the slide up dialogue style - so at end of job it will interrupt any foreground activity - whereas Modify wont ...
Yes, if Modify ePub (and Count) had a similar option, that being to just run and close without being able to do anything else in the meantime would be Purrfect from my point of view. But Cybmole and myself may be lonely insofar as liking a behaviour along those lines is concerned.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #45
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Yes, if Modify ePub (and Count) had a similar option, that being to just run and close without being able to do anything else in the meantime would be Purrfect from my point of view. But Cybmole and myself may be lonely insofar as liking a behaviour along those lines is concerned.
I suspect there are more AnotherCat's and cybmole's than there are BetterReds and tleons - i.e. the silent majority.

I help ~15 calibre users - persons from the library book reading 'club' that I sometimes coordinate (or otherwise), and a couple of younger refugee families.

I've had a couple of comments about the sliders - none of them in the 'oh goodie, I'm wanting this for years' ilk. One lady asked me to reinstall 2.6, she does metadata downloading which she shares with some of the others - she couldn't abide having to use the mouse to get to Review.

BR

Tags
gui