Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
The Modify Epub plugin snaps to setting (to "OK") for me on Windows platform (one must, of course, enable it in "Mouse Pointer Options" or set "Smartmove" if using the commonly used Logitech control).

I cannot comment on the Count Pages plugin as I don't use it, nor on the behaviour on other OSs.
Is that true for the Notify dialogues that Modify displays in v2.6/7. On Win 7 the mouse pointer doesn't move when Modify pops the end of job Notify dialogue.

In 2.5 (old modal dialogues) Modify puts the pointer a bit to the left of OK in the end of Job dialogue, Count Pages doesn't move the pointer in its end of job dialogue in 2.5 nor in 2.7.

Previously I never paid much attention to any of this, because I always used the keyboard to give focus to end-of-job modal dialogue buttons, but that's not always possible with the end-of-job Notify dialogue buttons.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-26-2014 at 11:34 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:28 AM   #17
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Is that true for the Notify dialogues that Modify displays in v2.6/7. On Win 7 the mouse pointer doesn't move when Modify pops the end of job Notify dialogue...
On opening Modify ePub a MS Windows modal dialogue box opens and the cursor snaps to "OK".

At the end of the job a MS Windows modal dialogue box opens and the cursor snaps to "OK".

BUT, there is currently a recently appeared glitch when run here as the first time run on a book, at the end of the job a non Windows modal dialogue box appears in the bottom right corner which not being a Windows one (or is incorrectly and adventurously coded) does not automatically snap.

However the second time the plugin is run on the same book it reverts to correct operation and at the end of the job a correct MS Windows modal dialogue box opens and the cursor snaps to "OK".

I have assumed that is a universally experienced glitch for those using Windows and so will be fixed, and have therefore ignored it.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 10-27-2014 at 01:31 AM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2014, 02:37 AM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The whole point of the new notification widget is to not interrupt whatever the user is doing. That means the mouse pointer is not going to snap to the buttons.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:06 AM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On opening Modify ePub a MS Windows modal dialogue box opens and the cursor snaps to "OK".

At the end of the job a MS Windows modal dialogue box opens and the cursor snaps to "OK".

BUT, there is currently a recently appeared glitch when run here as the first time run on a book, at the end of the job a non Windows modal dialogue box appears in the bottom right corner which not being a Windows one (or is incorrectly and adventurously coded) does not automatically snap.

However the second time the plugin is run on the same book it reverts to correct operation and at the end of the job a correct MS Windows modal dialogue box opens and the cursor snaps to "OK".

I have assumed that is a universally experienced glitch for those using Windows and so will be fixed, and have therefore ignored it.
@AnotherCat - the change was documented in the latest release notes, with reference to the relevant launchpad request, which in turn made reference to the relevant thread here at MR.

I just discovered there are also several tweets that link to the release notes on the calibre twitter 'page' The downloads page offers an RSS feed and calibre itself provides a link to the New Features page

Not exactly a well kept secret

BR
Old 10-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #20
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Cybmole:

The Modify Epub plugin snaps to setting (to "OK") for me on Windows platform (one must, of course, enable it in "Mouse Pointer Options" or set "Smartmove" if using the commonly used Logitech control).

I cannot comment on the Count Pages plugin as I don't use it, nor on the behaviour on other OSs.
my bad - I think in older versions there was no snap-to, & the dialogue window could appear in some unpredictable almost off the screen locaiton - it's much better now
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #21
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
... at the end of the job a non Windows modal dialogue box appears in the bottom right corner ...

As was pointed out previously, the new method for notification of job completion is a popup in the lower right corner of the main calibre window. This is implemented in plugins by calling "proceed_question".

However, many plugins use proceed_question only when the job completion requires that the user answer a question, such as "OK to update?." They instead call error_dialog when the job ends in a notification, such as "no changes were made." When this happens an old-style dialog is created instead of the popup. This occurs for the Modify ePub plugin and several others.

This can be made to work consistently by updating these plugins to use proceed_question with the "show_ok=True" option instead of using error_dialog.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
OK, though according to http://standards.freedesktop.org/men...atest/apb.html it should be CINNAMON, but I've added both.
Apparently you aren't the only one confused, so are the cinnamon devs.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/wallpaper...74/comments/10
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #23
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@AnotherCat - the change was documented in the latest release notes...

...Not exactly a well kept secret
Some of us have other lives to lead other than reading release notes and, heaven forbid, spending the day twittering like demented sparrows .

I do glance at the release notes but only read those parts that deal with added functionality rather than cosmetic changes; but I should have picked that one up as it is would appear to be outside of the Window's development guidelines .

Referring to Jhowell's post it seems there is the ability to correct the missing snap (or better still, revert to the old, perhaps non-modal ).

Last edited by AnotherCat; 10-27-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:49 PM   #24
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The whole point of the new notification widget is to not interrupt whatever the user is doing...
As from my own selfish point of view the interruption of the previous modal dialogue box was never an issue for me in my workflow, I am agnostic regarding the change and so am easy whether it is modal or not.

However, the thing that had caught my eye was the new widget's dialogue is not a standard Windows one (as I see it here in my local environment?), whereas Calibre elsewhere (and the few plugins I use) generally seems to conform. And, as I said earlier, if I run the widget twice on the same book the dialogue reverts to the previous standard modal dialogue box for that book (I assume this could be a plugin issue).

So, assuming the matter is not just a local one here, just wondering why the need for the widget not using a standard Windows non-modal (so no interruption to users activities) dialogue box? Not any problem as far as I am concerned, I don't get uptight about cosmetic details, but am just curious.

John
Old 10-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #25
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
... Referring to Jhowell's post it seems there is the ability to correct the missing snap (or better still, revert to the old, perhaps non-modal ).
Well, I thought that I was explaining how to complete the transition to the new popup, not how to undo it. It seems to me that it would be best if all job completions are announced consistently for all plugins. Usability improvements to the new popup are a separate issue entirely. (Personally I would like the ability to make the dialog box a bit larger.)
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Does anyone else get this truncated job-completion message for Download metadata

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	130253

I think it only happens first time the feature is used within a session

BR
Old 10-27-2014, 10:08 PM   #27
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Does anyone else get this truncated job-completion message for Download metadata

Attachment 130253

I think it only happens first time the feature is used within a session

BR
I was getting it in OverDrive Link. I guessed that it might be down to remembering the previous size, and it has been fixed in the source. Or at least it isn't happening anymore, which *could* be coincidence.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Dialog boxes, whether modal or not interrupt the workflow, the old dialog box was a non-modal dialog box. The new one is not a dialog box at all.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #29
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I was getting it in OverDrive Link. I guessed that it might be down to remembering the previous size, and it has been fixed in the source. Or at least it isn't happening anymore, which *could* be coincidence.
You may be right about 'remembering' I just did a calibre restart, did a metadata download, got the normal wide message, then did a Modify and it's end of job message was the same width as the previous Metadata download message

But I don't think this is an entirely new thing, I often got wide end of job messages from Count pages with the old dialogue boxes - I could never work out why, not that I tried hard, the counts were OK.

As some of you know I have a vexatious relationship with mouses - well the Evil Empire of Mouseketeers struck back at me this morning, the left button died

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-28-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:55 AM   #30
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the technicalities of all this are somewhat daunting to take in, but my dumb user experience is:

1. click on modify epub - mouse snaps to OK button - good,
2. sit back and wait for it to complete, do not use calibre in meantime... finished window appears ( glides up gracefully into position unlike before ), but mouse does NOT snap to OK - not good.

same experience with count pages.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gui