Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-11-2016, 06:45 AM   #1
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Reading speed - Ebook vs. Pbook?

I recently finished a Pbook having around 450 pages, and it took me around 5 days to go. Usually I read a similar size ebook in around 2.5-3 days. Reading a pbook has apparenty taken about double the time. Incidentally, I haven't read a pbook in last 2 years and I think (non-adjustable) printed fonts may be a valid phenomena for the slow reading speed.

Does any one else has noted a significant difference in reading speeds of pbooks and ebooks? Do the ebooks help us enable reading faster? Or is it my illusion? Your views will be highly appreciated.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:01 AM   #2
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
I recently finished a Pbook having around 450 pages, and it took me around 5 days to go. Usually I read a similar size ebook in around 2.5-3 days. Reading a pbook has apparenty taken about double the time. Incidentally, I haven't read a pbook in last 2 years and I think (non-adjustable) printed fonts may be a valid phenomena for the slow reading speed.

Does any one else has noted a significant difference in reading speeds of pbooks and ebooks? Do the ebooks help us enable reading faster? Or is it my illusion? Your views will be highly appreciated.
How much of that time was tapping on the pages and waiting for new text?
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2016, 07:42 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I think I read the words at a similar speed. However with treebooks I have to keep taking breaks for my hands to recover, or to change position and grip; I don't need to do that with ebooks, so the whole process is smoother and more comfortable and enjoyable.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I think I read the words at a similar speed. However with treebooks I have to keep taking breaks for my hands to recover, or to change position and grip; I don't need to do that with ebooks, so the whole process is smoother and more comfortable and enjoyable.
Mostly this. I generally read in bed, on my side. So, with a paper book, I was turning over and over (because you try to read that heavy book while most of the weight on top!) as my arms would get heavy and laying on the other side was more uncomfortable (I have a prefered side). And almost guaranteed the book would close and I'd have to find my page again...

With an ereader I don't need to turn that often, I just prop the reader against a pillow/stuffed animal (which ever is handy) and read. And I can even continue reading while turning!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #5
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Some books are quicker in e form, some in p form. It doesn't seem to follow a pattern which is weird, as books I think will a quick read on my kindle are actually quicker in p form.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2016, 08:27 AM   #6
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
Wy does the speed of reading matter? Are you on the run while reading?
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #7
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
How much of that time was tapping on the pages and waiting for new text?
Um.. I think I am satisfied with the page turn speed of my Kobo. It probably takes the same time as the page turning of a physical book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I agree, it becomes a burden to handle a treebook sometimes, and a stress on the hands. It may be another reason to slow down the overall reading process resulting in more time consumed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Mostly this. I generally read in bed, on my side. So, with a paper book, I was turning over and over (because you try to read that heavy book while most of the weight on top!) as my arms would get heavy and laying on the other side was more uncomfortable (I have a prefered side). And almost guaranteed the book would close and I'd have to find my page again...

With an ereader I don't need to turn that often, I just prop the reader against a pillow/stuffed animal (which ever is handy) and read. And I can even continue reading while turning!
You are right. The weight of a pbook is a considerable issue concerning the strain on wrist and arms. Auto-closing of the book and finding the page where you left, has been a nagging problem for me too. Definitely the comparative little weight of the ereader should have been helpful to resolve these small but important factors affecting the overall reading time and speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Some books are quicker in e form, some in p form. It doesn't seem to follow a pattern which is weird, as books I think will a quick read on my kindle are actually quicker in p form.
I perhaps am not clear on what you are trying to explain me. I think I'll have to do some experiments using a stopwatch to read a chapter of same book on ereader and physical format, to accurately compare the time consumed on both the media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faltradl View Post
Wy does the speed of reading matter? Are you on the run while reading?
Um.. perhaps because the life is too short and the books are so very many, and I might be trying to digest a large amount of books in short time.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #8
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I've been measuring my reading for the last 6 or 7 years. I've not noticed a difference between p- and e- book speeds. But I have noticed quite a lot of variation depending on the type of book.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #9
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Um.. I think I am satisfied with the page turn speed of my Kobo. It probably takes the same time as the page turning of a physical book.
I meant tapping the pbook, if I read a pbook nowadays I tap the side and it takes a good few seconds for me to realise why the page hasn't changed
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I think I read faster with ebooks because I can set the font size as small as I want. It feels like I read more slowly if the font is too big, as my eyes have to move back and forth more frequently, whereas with a small font I can read a lot of words before having to switch back to the left side of the page. Of course this is totally non-scientific and may be completely wrong
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I meant tapping the pbook, if I read a pbook nowadays I tap the side and it takes a good few seconds for me to realise why the page hasn't changed
Or long pressing a word to get the dictionary to pop up.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #12
drjd
The Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I've been measuring my reading for the last 6 or 7 years. I've not noticed a difference between p- and e- book speeds. But I have noticed quite a lot of variation depending on the type of book.
Yes, I agree. The type of book certainly affects the reading speed. Reading a page turner vs. some serious subject book will definitely vary the time spent on equal number of pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I think I read faster with ebooks because I can set the font size as small as I want. It feels like I read more slowly if the font is too big, as my eyes have to move back and forth more frequently, whereas with a small font I can read a lot of words before having to switch back to the left side of the page. Of course this is totally non-scientific and may be completely wrong
Reading with small size fonts will surely reduce the time consumed in tapping and turning the pages. Unfortunately I am blind as bat and have to read in a fairly large font, thus increasing the page-turn-taps too.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #13
drjd
The Couch Potato

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Or long pressing a word to get the dictionary to pop up.
Ah.. this happened many times with the recent pbook I finished!
Old 04-12-2016, 07:04 AM   #14
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Worse... sometimes, I turn the page, and then, for a second or two, are wondering why the text seems to start in the middle of nowhere instead of finishing the sentence I was reading.

Then I look at the *LEFT* page, and the world is well again
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #15
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I don't think it makes any difference to me.

I am coincidentally currently reading an ebook which has about the same number of pages as the pbook I just finished (Mote in God's Eye - paperback, 560 pages vs Promise of Blood - ebook, 561 pages). And yes, I'm making much faster progress in Promise of Blood, but I think it's largely down to the more modern writing style. Mote... comes from a time when 200 pages was a novel, Promise... is only a few years old, and I'd say the norm now is about 350-400 pages. Even if that sometimes means printing big.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote