Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2019, 02:31 AM   #1
fantomass
fantomass began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Stuck in reboot loop after firmware update

Hi!
I have a Kobo Aura H2O, purchased in 2017. Until recently I had been happily reading sideloaded books and Pocket articles - without any issues.

Recenlty I decided to buy my first book from the Kobo store and loaded it onto the device. Afterwards, I received a prompt saying that I need to update the firmware (I can’t remember the exact prompt but I think it had something to do with Adobe DRM) So I updated the device - which somehow corrupted the system.

Now it’s continuously stuck in a boot up loop (the 5 dot progress bar). Most of the time the progress dots stop moving after some time, remaining on the screen statically.

Every once in a while (randomly?) the device manages to get to the home screen, for a few minutes, and then restarts into the cycle again.

This is happening after updating to the latest software version 4.15.12920 (b231bfea36, 5/27/19). No idea what version I had before the update.

Things I’ve tried:
- factory reset from the menu - completed successfully, didn’t help
- manual factory reset using the small paper clip button - unsuccessful - I didn’t see any response after presseing that button
- reinstalling the firmware (same - latest version) via USB according to instructions here - this appeared to have finished successfully but after reboot, it’s again in the boot up loop.
- factory reset by pressing the power button for 20(-ish) seconds - this started, I saw a screen saying there was a critical error and asking me if I want to do a factory reset, I pressed yes, and the device then ended up stuck in the “Restoring” screen with the 5 dot progress bar on the bottom left corner of the screen

Not sure what to do - should I attempt to downgrade to an older software version? If so, which one? Or is the internal SD card dying, as suggested in some similar threads, and I’ll have to open up the device and replace it? (If so, what are the restrictions on which card I can use - capacity, brand, rating? Or can I use any card?)

Thanks for any help!
fantomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:17 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
All that sounds like a failing SD card. Replacing it and reimaging it will probably fix it.

But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomass View Post
Things I’ve tried:
- factory reset from the menu - completed successfully, didn’t help
The factory reset from the Device info page of the settings changed with firmware version 4.15.12920. Before, it wiped the boot partition and reinstalled the firmware from the recovery partition and formatted the book partition. Now, it only formats the book partition.
Quote:
- manual factory reset using the small paper clip button - unsuccessful - I didn’t see any response after presseing that button
That doesn't do a factory reset. It simply restarts the device. It is mainly useful to restart the device if it has hung.
Quote:
- reinstalling the firmware (same - latest version) via USB according to instructions here - this appeared to have finished successfully but after reboot, it’s again in the boot up loop.
- factory reset by pressing the power button for 20(-ish) seconds - this started, I saw a screen saying there was a critical error and asking me if I want to do a factory reset, I pressed yes, and the device then ended up stuck in the “Restoring” screen with the 5 dot progress bar on the bottom left corner of the screen
The long power off doesn't do a factory reset. It is the method to force a power off for the device. For this to lead to a factory reset, you need to tap the bottom corners of the screen as it starts.

But, it sounds like the device decided the reboot had failed enough times and needed to do a factory reset.
Quote:
Not sure what to do - should I attempt to downgrade to an older software version? If so, which one? Or is the internal SD card dying, as suggested in some similar threads, and I’ll have to open up the device and replace it? (If so, what are the restrictions on which card I can use - capacity, brand, rating? Or can I use any card?)
You can try downgrading to an older firmware, but, if the SD card is failing, it won't help. There is plenty of discussion on the cards to use, but, basically anything can be used. I don't know if there is a maximum size. 64GB should work, I can't remember if anyone has reported that a 128GB card worked.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
fantomass
fantomass began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Thanks for the quick reply. I pried it open and will try to replace the SD card.

Could you please send me an image I could copy onto it?
fantomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM sent.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #5
lytich
lytich began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2o
Sorry for, but i need help from Davisfor

Hello Sir,

My Kobo H2o is Stuck at screen with "Water on Your Screen", can't connect to computer, can't charge cuz the battery icon is full.

can i have an SD card Image, i thinks SD card is corrupt, i want to replace want.

sorry to post public, but i can't find the way to send an PM to you, i don't know.

Thanks a lot for your help.
lytich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lytich View Post
Hello Sir,

My Kobo H2o is Stuck at screen with "Water on Your Screen", can't connect to computer, can't charge cuz the battery icon is full.

can i have an SD card Image, i thinks SD card is corrupt, i want to replace want.

sorry to post public, but i can't find the way to send an PM to you, i don't know.
If you look, you will find that I don't want PMs asking for the images. There is a thread for each device to request images in. It just makes it easier for me to track what I have done.

And the reason you couldn't send me a PM is that you don't have them enabled. You should be able to enable PMs in the "Edit Options" of the control panel. If this isn't there, it has to be added somehow. You can try posting in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319819 to ask it to be enabled, or contact a moderator.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
lytich
lytich began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you look, you will find that I don't want PMs asking for the images. There is a thread for each device to request images in. It just makes it easier for me to track what I have done.

And the reason you couldn't send me a PM is that you don't have them enabled. You should be able to enable PMs in the "Edit Options" of the control panel. If this isn't there, it has to be added somehow. You can try posting in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319819 to ask it to be enabled, or contact a moderator.
Yes, sorry about it, Sir.

i have contact MOD, but seem they busy now, could you please help me send an link to my email: lythetich@gmail.com , Please.

This is urgent for me, i really thanks you for you help.
Thanks you a lot, Mr Davisfor, Thanks you and Thanks you.
lytich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, reboot, restart, stuck, update