Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 06-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #1
Timmeh
Timmeh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Post OSX and Win10 Installs

Hi all,

I'm new to Calibre and have been using this forum to help get setup. It's been really useful. However I have reached an issue which I'm sure is easy to fix, but I can't see how at the mo, so apologies if this is a classic newbie question - I just can't find the answer!

I'm running a headless server for my Calibre server (and other media servers) on a windows 10 machine.

I do most of the library management on my OXS laptop which I use to plug the Kindle into.

The Calibre library is stored on Dropbox, which is shared to both devices.

When I edit metadata on my laptop, this metadata is only present on the laptop install, and does not the server install.

I read on another post on this forum that the way around this is to save the library to disc, or use the "Modify Epub" plugin. However neither work int he way I'd expect; "Modify Epub" does not do the mobi files and save to disc seems to create an entirely new library, rather than updating the current one. I feel like I'm missing something obvious but after playing around can't for the life of me work out where I'm going wrong.

Any advice would be really useful.

Cheers!
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh View Post
The Calibre library is stored on Dropbox, which is shared to both devices.

When I edit metadata on my laptop, this metadata is only present on the laptop install, and does not the server install.
From the calibre FAQ:

Quote:
If you are using a file-syncing tool it is essential that you make sure that both calibre and the file syncing tool do not try to access the calibre library at the same time. In other words, do not run the file syncing tool and calibre at the same time.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #3
Timmeh
Timmeh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks JHowell. So, does having dropbox running all the time count as the 'file syncing tool' running all the time? Would this cause the library to not update metadata?

What would be the best way to access the library from an OSX laptop, hosted on a Windows 10 PC?
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
So, does having dropbox running all the time count as the 'file syncing tool' running all the time?
Yes

Quote:
Would this cause the library to not update metadata?
Yes. From the FAQ: “Even with these tools there is danger of data corruption/loss, so only do this if you are willing to live with that risk.”

Quote:
What would be the best way to access the library from an OSX laptop, hosted on a Windows 10 PC?
I don’t know.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Use your browser on any non-windows device to access the Windows based Content Server.
There are file system name issues bouncing from OS to OS . Easiest to HOST on a single OS, and use the server function to deliver content to ANY OS's browser
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
library, meta data, server