Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #16
BartZorn
BartZorn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
That database size, 61MB for 30,000 books, doesn't seem abnormal to me, others may care to comment.

Could you run calibre at the server in debug mode and post the log here?

That it is so slow when run from server suggests the server itself is the bottleneck, rather that anything related to the network.

What file system is the server running (NTFS or ??), how much memory does it have, and what other applications run at the server?

Have you tried relocating the database, as suggested in posts 3 and 4.

BR
OK. My server is a Core i5-4570, with 16 GB memory, running Windows Server 2016 standard edition. Two cores are occupied running a Hyper-V VM doing video conversions. The other two are doing only what a lightly loaded Windows Server does.

I did "calibre-debug -g >calibre.log" and lo and behold, startup took about 17 seconds. The log file is attached to this post.
Next I tried a normal startup of calibre, and that also took less than 20 seconds.

The library and the database are all on a local disk on this server, disk G:, not C:.

It seems that the problem has disappeared by itself. Not very satisfying.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Bart

Bart
BartZorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:06 AM   #17
BartZorn

The forum site seems to think that a .log file is an invalid file. Strange. But it is so small, here it is:

calibre 3.7 embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.14393-SP0 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.14393')
Python 2.7.12+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.14393', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 141.76744186 x 141.402061856
Using calibre Qt style: True
Starting up...
Started up in 17.28 seconds with 36266 books

That's all

Bart
Advert
Old 09-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #18
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartZorn View Post
Previously, the size of the database did not seem to be important, but now I have to wait 5 minutes or more for a single change.
a) What extensions have you installed;
b) How much RAM does your system have;
c) When Calibre is running, how much free RAM is available;

Quote:
OK, we have a ridiculous large database, over 30000 entries.
Large is when you have 100,000 entries in your Calibre library.
Huge is when you have 1,000,000 entries in your Calibre library.

Amber
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #19
BartZorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
a) What extensions have you installed;
b) How much RAM does your system have;
c) When Calibre is running, how much free RAM is available;

Amber
a) none
b) 16 GB, but about 4 GB is occupied by a VM.
c) about 6 GB

OK, I stand corrected, my library is not big.

Bart
Old 09-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #20
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
OK. My server is a Core i5-4570, with 16 GB memory, running Windows Server 2016 standard edition. Two cores are occupied running a Hyper-V VM doing video conversions. The other two are doing only what a lightly loaded Windows Server does.

I did "calibre-debug -g >calibre.log" and lo and behold, startup took about 17 seconds. The log file is attached to this post.
Next I tried a normal startup of calibre, and that also took less than 20 seconds.

The library and the database are all on a local disk on this server, disk G:, not C:.

It seems that the problem has disappeared by itself. Not very satisfying.
Nah - something must have changed, I suspect you know that - Windows Yipdate, AntiViral... etc

I don't believe in fairies, or hobgoblins - unless they're of the kind mentioned in Menken's "In Defense of Women". But let's hope the cure sticks - whatever it was.

Were any video conversions running - I know they run in a VM but...

Quote:

Python 2.7.12+
Starting up...
Looks like you're running the the 32bit version of calibre. Any specific reason for that, not saying you shouldn't, or that it is the cause of the poor performance, but why use the Windows on Windows detour when there's no need.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2017, 11:14 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
That database size, 61MB for 30,000 books, doesn't seem abnormal to me, others may care to comment.

Could you run calibre at the server in debug mode and post the log here?

That it is so slow when run from server suggests the server itself is the bottleneck, rather that anything related to the network.

What file system is the server running (NTFS or ??), how much memory does it have, and what other applications run at the server?

Have you tried relocating the database, as suggested in posts 3 and 4.

BR
38MB here for less than 1/2 that many books. That's a thin DB
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:23 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
The forum site seems to think that a .log file is an invalid file. Strange. But it is so small, here it is:

Python 2.7.12+
Starting up...

That's all

Bart
Why are you running the 32 bit version?

i5 don't make the best ' file Server' machines: Xeon is more common in server room racks
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:28 AM   #23
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post

Amber

And I thought I was an ebook hoarder with 4,000 books...😏

Where do people get this many books? How much money must One spend for a MILLION BOOK library? 😜

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:39 AM   #24
BartZorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Why are you running the 32 bit version?

i5 don't make the best ' file Server' machines: Xeon is more common in server room racks
I did not realize that a 64 bit version exists. Where can I download it? The normal download page does not give a hint.

Bart
Old 09-09-2017, 03:57 AM   #25
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
I did not realize that a 64 bit version exists. Where can I download it? The normal download page does not give a hint.

Bart
The normal download page has an option labelled Windows (64-bit)! If you are not seeing that you are downloading from somewhere else.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:57 AM   #26
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Bart
Eh, where have you been downloading from

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	158932

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:05 AM   #27
BartZorn

Yes, sorry. I have always downloaded newer versions after being prompted by the running version, 32 bit.

I will replace it by the 64 bit version.

Thanks,

Bart
Old 09-09-2017, 04:19 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 64-bit version should be faster as it will use more memory and have less swapping.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:40 AM   #29
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
@BartZorn
When the performance issue happen again check with the task manager and resource manager your system performance. This will maybe give you additional hints for improvements.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:13 AM   #30
BartZorn

I now have the 64 bit version installed. Difference is hardly noticeable.

Bart

Tags
performance