Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-24-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
wurliuchi
wurliuchi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle Reviewer 3 says there's no TOC. How to fix??? TOC

I'm so tired it took me twenty minutes to find the "New Thread" button. lol Could it be any smaller?

The question is how do I get Kindle Reviewer 3 to recognize the toc in my book so the export will be correct? It reports there is no toc.

I'm at the end of a long journey creating my first ePub/mobi, and I can't seem to get over this one last hurdle without help. Here's what's going on:

I created a very simple TOC for my book on the toc.xhtml page (I guess that's where I was supposed to put it).

When I open the file in Kindle Previewer 3, the TOC page is there and the links all work perfectly, but the TOC panel on the Previewer says there is no TOC for this book! This is what I need to fix.

Thanks for any help.
wurliuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurliuchi View Post
When I open the file in Kindle Previewer 3, the TOC page is there and the links all work perfectly, but the TOC panel on the Previewer says there is no TOC for this book!
Epubs usually contain two TOCs:

1. The logical TOC (toc.ncx).
2. The HTML TOC (TOC.xhtml).

Check the following:

a) Does the Table of Contents window only display "Start?" If so you'll need to generate the logical TOC from chapter headings (CTRL+T).

b) Do you get a (Table of Content) popup, if you hover the mouse pointer over TOC.xhtml?
If not, right-click TOC.xhtml and select Add Semantics... > Table of Content.

@KevinH: Table of Content should read Table of Contents.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #3
wurliuchi
wurliuchi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Blessings upon you. Because of your reply I was able to complete my task. Thank you.
wurliuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:15 AM   #4
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
I know already solved, but a little exposition:
Kindles want three objects to be tagged:

1) The cover IMAGE (not the page)
2) The text TOC
3) The Starting position.

Actually you can create an AZW/mobi from an ePub without these and it will work, but better to make it happy.

You can do this in Sigil by right-clicking on the file list and choosing "Add semantics".

1) For the cover PAGE you can tag it "Cover" but you must also be sure that the cover IMAGE is tagged "Cover Image" -- may be already done if you used the "Add cover" tool.

2) The TOC choose "Table of Contents" (again, will be set if you used the "Create HTML TOC" tool)

3) The Start page -- for this choose "Text" (presumably meaning the first page of text).
I usually use the title page as the Start page. Amazon tells you to use Chapter 1, so do that if you're submitting to them. You cannot use the Cover, however, as Kindles do not have a HTML cover page, only the image.

These "semantics" all create entries in the opf file, the TOC and Start in the "Guide" at the end; the cover image in the "meta' and "manifest".
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle previewer, table of contents, toc