Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #16
pmjeff21
pmjeff21 began at the beginning.

Device: Windows 10 Surface and Phone
I'll search for that. Thanks. I ended up with 67 our of 80 failures.
pmjeff21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #17
pmjeff21
pmjeff21 began at the beginning.

Device: Windows 10 Surface and Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
If you followed the steps in the first post and are getting DRM errors then I suggest that you check out Apprentice Alf's Blog for further assistance with that.
Apprentice Alf's Plugin was the solution. I still have 2 files that seem to hang half way through, but they are lager books, so I'll restart and let them sit for a while.

Thanks for your suggestion!
pmjeff21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #18
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerhjb View Post
to: jhowell

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this information. I was ready to give up on my free books from Amazon for the future since I got "improved" version of KindleforPC automatically today. Your directions for uninstalling and re-installing KindleforPC are excellent and worked great for me. One thing I'd like to add. I had downloaded my books once this morning right after the upgrade installed. Then when I tried to download them with the older version of KindleforPC. I found that I needed to go to Amazon and in manage my content, set the books up for delivery again. Once I did that, presto, chango everything was back to normal. Thanks again for the timely help.
I also Thank you Thank you!! This worked great for me too. I was just starting to panic. One thing that worked for me though is the fact that I did not have to redownload all of my 173 books. Before I reinstalled the older version, I just renamed the My Kindle Content folder to My Kindle Content OLD. Installed the new (old) Kindle for PC, then deleted the empty My Kindle Content folder that it created, renamed My Kindle Content OLD back to My Kindle Content and when I launched the program,all my books were there.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:16 PM   #19
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I'm using Kindle for PC version 1.17, and the books I bought today are all KFX, which won't even download to K4PC 1.17. They are all KFX.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #20
Muliplication
Muliplication for a long time would go to bed early.Muliplication for a long time would go to bed early.Muliplication for a long time would go to bed early.Muliplication for a long time would go to bed early.Muliplication for a long time would go to bed early.Muliplication for a long time would go to bed early.Muliplication for a long time would go to bed early.Muliplication for a long time would go to bed early.Muliplication for a long time would go to bed early.Muliplication for a long time would go to bed early.Muliplication for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo Glo
I'd just like to add my thanks to the above. Hopefully when the format is settled down, Calibre will support it.
Muliplication is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2017, 07:18 AM   #21
ems2017
ems2017 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for PC
To jhowell,

I am a PC Kindle 1.17.xx user caught by surprise by the silent download of version 1.19.2. Of course I have just unchecked the automatic download.

I use (technical, not any other) eBooks just for personal research purposes; so, along with the eBooks themselves I keep a large collection of many other electronic documents, PDFs, WORDs, EXCELs ..., and a large collection of other formats, all them together.

Due to the sclerotic format of eBooks, as to be part of a dynamic corpus of interactive documentation, I need to convert any purchased eBook to WORD format, and interlink them with the rest of the information that I find and develop. Say, if one downloaded eBook has 300 pages, when I complete the reading, the initial eBook contents reaches up to another 300 pages including notes, calculations, graphics etc. all in one; I need all that info in just one volume.

All above means that any transformation of the current layout of my eBooks in my PC, and the rest of the materials, impacts me a lot, therefore perhaps the best solution for me would be to stop purchasing new eBooks and wait for Calibre to support the new Kindle for PC new format.

To follow the directions, you give to return to 1.17, as I understand, I must redownload from Amazon all my purchased books collection. Doing this could mean a hard time and I wonder whether this redownload could be avoided by saving (copying) ‘My Kindle content’ to other location and then copying it back to the original location after having reinstalled the version 1.17.

Alternatively, the other question is: would be expected for Calibre to support the new Kindle in a foreseeable future? If so, I would prefere to wait, and not to purchase any other eBook until then, and so long for Amazon.

Any additional help would be welcome.

EMS.

Last edited by ems2017; 02-16-2017 at 07:25 AM.
ems2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:46 AM   #22
ems2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I'm using Kindle for PC version 1.17, and the books I bought today are all KFX, which won't even download to K4PC 1.17. They are all KFX.
This perhaps will work for me too.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #23
ems2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliplication View Post
I'd just like to add my thanks to the above. Hopefully when the format is settled down, Calibre will support it.
Does this mean that Calibre is going to support the new Kindle format in a foreseeable future?
Old 02-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #24
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ems2017 View Post
To follow the directions, you give to return to 1.17, as I understand, I must redownload from Amazon all my purchased books collection. Doing this could mean a hard time and I wonder whether this redownload could be avoided by saving (copying) ‘My Kindle content’ to other location and then copying it back to the original location after having reinstalled the version 1.17.
Deleting the contents of "My Kindle Content" is recommended so that there are no left over books in KFX format on your PC.

You could try just deleting the subfolders of "My Kindle Content". Those contain the books downloaded while Kindle for PC 1.19 was installed. I cannot say how well this will work as I have not tried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems2017 View Post
Alternatively, the other question is: would be expected for Calibre to support the new Kindle in a foreseeable future?
I doubt that support for the KFX format is coming any time soon to calibre. As far as I know, no one is currently working on it. (Of course the illegality of trafficking in DRM removal tools in the US means that work may be going on in secret.)

Many of us who do most of their reading in the Kindle ecosystem own e-ink Kindle reading devices. Owners of these devices are still able to download books in Amazon's older formats via the website. Used older Kindle devices can be purchased fairly inexpensively by those who also wish to have this ability. Having this simple workaround reduces the incentive for developers to invest the time and energy needed to support the newer format.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:15 AM   #25
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Used older Kindle devices can be purchased fairly inexpensively by those who also wish to have this ability. Having this simple workaround reduces the incentive for developers to invest the time and energy needed to support the newer format.
True. Bit of a pity is that my E-Ink Kindle is so old it doesn't even support KF8 (a DXG), so I hope K4PC 1.17 will work for a while yet

Still need the DXG on the account for those pesky Analog magazines, as K4PC still didn't get the magazine love from Amazon...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:40 AM   #26
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Quote:

I doubt that support for the KFX format is coming any time soon to calibre. As far as I know, no one is currently working on it. (Of course the illegality of trafficking in DRM removal tools in the US means that work may be going on in secret.)

Just started using a Kindle Oasis to replace my trusty Sony T3.... ( my Mac kindle app is some old version, as I deliberately turned off auto update to prevent any issues with updates and 'improvements' ) so I have converted all my epubs in Calibre to KFX... using the Kfx plug in and the Amazon Kindle preview app.

So not officially supported in Calibre but it does work quite well ( the odd book or so doesn't convert, so it goes to azw3 and then 'hyphenate this' plug-in'd ).

I'm not quite sure why it's not an option to send a kfx file to the Kindle directly from within Calibre... but here's my workaround which makes selecting only the kfx files for sideloading ...
  • In Calibre select all the books with kfx formats ( no problem if they also have epubs also etc).
  • Right click and Save to disk... and choose Save single format to disk.
  • Choose a location/folder and let it do its thing
  • Drag all those folders containing the kfx books over to the documents folder on your kindle
  • Wait while your kindle updates itself ( database?)
  • May as well set up to view as a list since book covers don't work
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #27
annekaelber
Enthusiast
annekaelber began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note 8.0
Thank you!

I just built a new PC and totally found myself flummoxed over the issues with Kindle for PC and Calibre. I <3 my Calibre!!!

Rolling back to 1.17 of the Kindle (and making sure updates down auto-install) saved my birthday wishlist!

A thousand thank yous to all of you who post clear, detailed information, so I can get back to reading (and writing) instead of digging around the web for answers.

Very relieved,
Anne.
annekaelber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:33 PM   #28
ems2017

Hi All,

Back in Kindle PC v1.17 from v1.19 and everything is working OK.

Thanks to everybody.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #29
burnshroom
burnshroom began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 70 / Android / Aldiko
Let me chime in my thanks as well. After updating DeDrm and then Calibre to their latest versions and not having success with a recent amazon book title, knew if I came here you guys would be all over this.

And sure enough. Viola.

Thanks.

Back up and working with Kindle 1.17
burnshroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:29 AM   #30
Ogui
Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1
thanks for the solution, worked great. As Kindle has in the past forced us to use their latest version, I suspect this fix will be short lived. Are there prospects for Apprentice, Calibre to offer a more permanent solution for this problem? (realizing of course nothing is permanent) thanks!
Ogui is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc