Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2008, 03:21 PM   #16
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
yeah, got the card from chase, i'm guessing the $100 comes off automatically sometime in the future, i followed the link from the ad that talked about the $100 and checked the box that said use any points towards the card.....hard to beat the deal as long as you pay it off and chop it up.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #17
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

as long as they don't come out with a PRS-510 the day after i get my 505, i'll be happy
Advert
Old 06-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #18
dborja
Enthusiast
dborja began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
yeah, got the card from chase, i'm guessing the $100 comes off automatically sometime in the future, i followed the link from the ad that talked about the $100 and checked the box that said use any points towards the card.....hard to beat the deal as long as you pay it off and chop it up.
Yup!

Quote:
as long as they don't come out with a PRS-510 the day after i get my 505, i'll be happy
Even if they did, I'm happy with my 505. I began reading the first Patterson book at lunch today. This is so much better than when I was reading ebooks on my Compaq Aero PDA...
dborja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #19
krighton
Addict

i ordered the dark blue one, was going to get all the patterson stuff but i'm not really into that type of fiction, so no biggie.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #20
dborja
Enthusiast

Quote:
i ordered the dark blue one, was going to get all the patterson stuff but i'm not really into that type of fiction, so no biggie.
I was leaning towards the silver one anyway. I don't know Patterson's work (I haven't been reading books in a looooong time); however, I thought I won't lose anything if I got six free books. Plus the skin will protect my 505 from scratches.

Anyway, I do like mystery novels and the first book that I started reading looks pretty good.

I don't think you'll regret your choice unless you really want the bells and whistles of the Kindle. Me, all I want is a good ebook reader and I don't need to connect to the bookstore that often. These six books will last me a while; although I will download the remaining 98 classic ebooks on my cart soon, before my coupon expires in October.
Advert
Old 06-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #21
krighton
Addict

i think the keyboard part of the kindle is ugly (jmo) not really sold on how it looks overall...Sony is alot cleaner looking.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #22
dborja
Enthusiast

Quote:
i think the keyboard part of the kindle is ugly (jmo) not really sold on how it looks overall...Sony is alot cleaner looking.
Agree. And I'm not hating on the Kindle; mind you, I would have gotten one if the price was lower. However, now that I've begun reading on the 505, I am perfectly happy with it. For its reading functionality, it is elegant and better designed.

The Library application and the Sony bookstore interfaces are a bit on the clunky side but I can live with them...
Old 06-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #23
krighton
Addict

agree with the Sony bookstore being a bit on the archaic side..not sure why they haven't revamped that...you would think Sony would be cutting edge in regards to layout and such.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #24
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sony has too many irons going in one internet. I have some epic railings against the Sony company's handling of the Reader, but, then again, I'm a picky bastard. [vulgar parts removed] The e-book Reader market could easily derive incredible returns if the content and its delivery system were more appropriate...and don't even get me started on the phantom 1st firmware update for the 505. Congratulations on throwing a bunch of money down the drain, Sony.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 07-01-2008 at 05:20 PM. Reason: vular parts removed
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #25
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Nice rant Just a note, Sony IS aware of Mobileread, it was even mentioned in the slides of some presentation a year or so ago. And then there was the blogger's day before the Reader's release...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #26
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky69 View Post
...ridiculous price on books just to f**k with people and not actually sell that book because why would you pay $270 for a history of Africa ...
Come on ...
You can't be serious.
$270 for an ebook? A nice e-book with great high resolution glossy pictures converted to the 2bit grey scale?

Let me see.
[goes away and types http://ebookstore.sony.com at the new browser tab, then searches "Africa"]

OOOOPS!
Holy [CENSORED]!
They don't only sell "Encyclopedia of Twentieth-century African History" for $270, they sell e-books for well over FOUR HUNDRED bucks a pop.

Look at this:
http://ebookstore.sony.com/product/4...000066122.html
Almost a thousand bucks for a file!

Unbeliveable
http://ebookstore.sony.com/search/eb...ce&n=25&p=1527

I wonder how many people purchase those ;-)

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 11-19-2010 at 02:52 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #27
krighton
Addict

if i'm going to buy a $980+ book written by feminists, i'd probably want to have the actual thing and not an ebook
Old 07-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #28
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Did you notice that quite a few of the high priced books are by the same publisher? Taylor & Francis. Never heard of them....and not likely to purchase any of their books. Gees! I'm actually trying to see how long I can go without purchasing an ebook. I'm quite happy reading my way through the public domain books.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #29
krighton
Addict

there's enough 'sources' out there to where you may never have to buy an e-book...i did buy about 6 when i owned my previous 500...only books i couldn't find anywhere else.