Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
kanyiva
kanyiva began at the beginning.

Device: iPad2
Orange pins (pushpins or thumbtacks?)

Does anyone know what the orange pins represent? I'm just curious because I can't make out the rhyme or reason for their presence in Calibre. Sorry if this has been asked and answered but I couldn't find anything on it when I did a search in the forum. Thanks.
kanyiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyiva View Post
Does anyone know what the orange pins represent? I'm just curious because I can't make out the rhyme or reason for their presence in Calibre. Sorry if this has been asked and answered but I couldn't find anything on it when I did a search in the forum. Thanks.
They are a new implementation of an older (background)feature: Marked books

Various PI used that (mostly) hidden column. Now it has been exposed along with additional features. Right-click one of the Pins
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Right-click one of the Pins
And what - I just right clicked pins from three sources - ISBN extract, Find Duplicates exclusions, and Mark Books - saw nothing and could have heard a pin drop

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
And what - I just right clicked pins from three sources - ISBN extract, Find Duplicates exclusions, and Mark Books - saw nothing and could have heard a pin drop

BR
I misspoke
Right-click on (the Marked) book: Now there is a orange PIN Icon at the list top
I see a menu of actions to do actions (with/on) pins
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I misspoke
Right-click on (the Marked) book: Now there is a orange PIN Icon at the list top
I see a menu of actions to do actions (with/on) pins
Yeah me too, but that's because I put Mark Books into my context menu, if I remove it then there's nothing there.

I was hoping a right click on the pin might tell me the provenance of the pin.

BR
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
kanyiva
kanyiva began at the beginning.

Device: iPad2
Thank you for your responses!
kanyiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
Down South
Down South began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Another question.
Any way to get rid of the pushpins?

On my copy of Calibre 1.8 they show me the books I excluded from the duplicate finder.
I can't find a choice in Preferences or in the Find Duplicate plugin "customize".
If I wanted to see them I would not have excluded them so having pins take up space which is already precious is not a good thing.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
Another question.
Any way to get rid of the pushpins?

On my copy of Calibre 1.8 they show me the books I excluded from the duplicate finder.
I can't find a choice in Preferences or in the Find Duplicate plugin "customize".
If I wanted to see them I would not have excluded them so having pins take up space which is already precious is not a good thing.
I think you currently have three choices
  1. Status quo with the pins on show
  2. Use the Show all duplicates exemptions from Find Duplicates drop down menu, that will only show marked books flagged as such. Select all the books and then use the Remove selected exemptions from Find Duplicates drop down menu. That should remove the all the pins, but next time you run Find Duplicates they will show up as Duplicates
  3. Uninstall Find Duplicates, and reinstall as and when needed and the pins will be there. I use Find Duplicates intermittently, so this is what I do, I find the pins useful in the context of 'being on the hunt for duplicate books'. Not an ideal solution but for me at least a tolerable solution.

BR
Old 11-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
Down South

Thanks for the reply.
I had already figured that out, but I use Find Duplicates regularly.
I wonder when that "feature" was added.

It says I have to uninstall Calibre to downgrade and if I would lose all my plugins
and settings if I downgraded Calibre to an earlier version.

Oh well, maybe Koval will add a setting to disable the pushpins in a future version.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
I had already figured that out, but I use Find Duplicates regularly.
I wonder when that "feature" was added.
Version 1.7

Quote:
It says I have to uninstall Calibre to downgrade and if I would lose all my plugins and settings if I downgraded Calibre to an earlier version.
You will not lose anything if you install an earlier version

Quote:
Oh well, maybe Koval will add a setting to disable the pushpins in a future version.
Or kiwidude adjusts the plugin to have a Show/Hide Exclusions toggle, maybe they could have a blue pin. The Mark Books feature, the now defunct Temp Marker PI and the Extract ISBN PI also use the same 'mark' feature as Find Duplicates.

The ability to 'mark' books was introduced internally a 'long time ago', but they weren't shown until the cover grid was implemented; where they initially appeared as a gold star imprinted on the cover which was easily missed.

Addendum : Meanwhile perhaps the Mark books->Show marked books option could become Mark books->Show/Hide marked books toggle

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-01-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
If you don't want to see the marked pushpins follow the directions in the manual and substitute the attached image. Once done you can have as many marked books as you like but you won't see them marked.

As a side note a couple of years ago I wrote a short post pointing out that you can replace any or all of the icons in calibre.

Edit: I had to zip the image because the forum doesn't allow attaching completely transparent images.
Attached Files
File Type: zip marked.zip (486 Bytes, 192 views)

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-01-2013 at 10:43 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
I also wish there was a way to have the new feature behave like the old temp mark plugin, and not resize the number column. I never need to see the mark in list view. It's kind of nice in cover view(so I have no need for a transparent image), but I'd happily do away with the visual mark in cover view, if it meant I could get away from it in list view.

I used to use temp marks a lot, but don't like the resizing of the first column that happens every time now. Especially since it's often reduntandt as well (for instance, it shows up when I look at the list of books I've marked).
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Down South

Thank you DoctorOhh,
Followed your instructions. . . pushpins gone.
Unfortunately It's not the pushpins I don't like it's the SPACE they use.
Guess I'll have to wait for the author of the plugin to put a setting in to disable the pushpins.

If you don't want to see the marked pushpins follow the directions in the manual and substitute the attached image. Once done you can have as many marked books as you like but you won't see them marked.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
Down South

BetterRed

Your mention of the context menu solved things for me.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
manawydan
Connoisseur
manawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toysmanawydan shares his or her toys

If I replace the icon of the pin by a 1x1 gif (or png) would the size of the column shrink too?
I don't care about the color or look but I want the space back.

It seems to be not possible to not show the pins at all or change the size or do anything if you don't need/want them.
What a nonsense. *sigh*
manawydan is offline   Reply With Quote