Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
genepool
genepool began at the beginning.

Device: none
How To Create Cover Pages

Lulu.com has an excelent Cover Pages Designer.

Anything else?
genepool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please note:

That site is a services and content website, and charges for those services and content.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Mayzshon
Enthusiast
Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mayzshon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well, for the print versions, I've used createspace's cover creator, all though the front covers, (which are also the covers for the e-book editions) I usually just make in Photoshop.
Mayzshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
sportourer1
Writer
sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How important are eBook covers?
sportourer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportourer1 View Post
I don't recall coming across an ebook vendor that doesn't display cover thumbnails when they list search results, newest additions, whatever, so having a cover that in that context works as an eye-catcher is a big plus.

In addition to that, having a cover that looks... ineptly cobbled together in five minutes, or otherwise unprofessional, may lead people to assume the creator is sloppy and careless, and dismiss it.

I'm not entirely sure where "No cover at all" falls...

All in all, I think a cover that's at least *decent* quality is pretty important.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
The issue of covers and designing them highlights the multiplicity of skill sets you need to be a self-publisher, something I have been learning the hard way these last few months. First you have to write and re-write and edit and polish. Then if you want to publish as an e-book you have to meticulously format it in ways that bear little resemblance to the requirements for submission to a conventional publishing house. Then you need to come up with a decent cover. Next is the marketing plan

All of this is doable, and it is doable at zero cost (not counting your own time). That's amazing when you think about it. But it is a lot of hard work, and if it means getting good at a lot of things you might not have thought when you started out.

As for the cover question, I think a good cover adds a sense of polish to your work.
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by G J Lau View Post
As for the cover question, I think a good cover adds a sense of polish to your work.
I like your image and choice of colours, but I think your text is too small. You can't really read it at postage stamp size, which is the size most people will judge it at when deciding whether to look at your description.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #8
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Thanks for the input. Actually the version on Amazon and Barnes and Noble does have a slightly bigger font for the title. My son did the design. You can learn all the tools but nothing replaces an artistic sensibility, which he has and I don't.
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportourer1 View Post
Pretty important. The cover art still stands next to the book listing, catching eyes and giving a sense of the book's content and quality.
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
sportourer1
Writer
sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is the best web source for copyright free images?
sportourer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
You can get a lot of free content from Flickr Creative Commons using images that merely require attribution: http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/by-2.0/
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #12
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
I just got information on how to submit my upcoming book to Ellibris.com database and they need cover page for their catalog listings.

In addition, first page of the book needs to be cover art as this is what is shown in ADE and other cataloging applications.
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #13
RVS78
Letter Puncher
RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RVS78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablets
I have a background in graphic arts so I make my own covers using stock photos - I either pay for it or get royalty free. I tend to do 3 thumbnail sketches of what I want it to look like then narrow it down so by the time I get images I already know what I'm looking for. At least the theme and mood of it anyway. I use Photoshop.

Bad Juju: Vol. 1 (dark fiction/horror story collection)
Amazon US| Amazon UK
Smashwords Author Page
My blog
RVS78 is offline   Reply With Quote