Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 10-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Elutherius
Elutherius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard and Paperwhite 2G
KPW2 Downloaded News not auto-archiving

Hello and thank you to all of you, especially Kovid, who keep Calibre and related services up to date. I am extremely indebted.

I recently upgraded from the Kindle Keyboard to the 2nd Generation Paperwhite. I have found that my News sources (subscription NY Times, Economist, 2 other custom sources) no longer auto-archive into a Archived Periodicals category. The same downloads emailed to my Kindle Keyboard still autoarchive so the issue must be with the Paperwhite OS, I think? I have been unable to find any information on this anywhere else on the web and would be grateful for any assistance. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is it working correctly on the KPW2 for others? Happy to provide any further details.
Elutherius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Unfortunately I dont posses a KPW2, so I cannot comment. My only suggestions are to make sure your output format is MOBI or AZW3 in Preferences->Behavior and your output profile is Kindle in Prefrences->Common Options->Page setup
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Elutherius
Elutherius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard and Paperwhite 2G
Kovid, thank you for such a quick response.

Does anyone else with a KPW 1 or 2 have a similar issue where Calibre New Articles do or do not autoarchive?

The settings were as you describe, with both MOBI and Kindle selected. This worked (and still works) for autoarchiving on my kindle keyboard but not on the paperwhite. I have since completely uninstalled Calibre and installed version 1.5.0 using the wizard to designate the Paperwhite and changed the output to AZW3.

The current settings are Preferences->Behavior->Preferred output format: AZW3
and
Preferences->Common Options->Page Setup: Kindle Paperwhite

However, the NY Times recipe still creates a MOBI, not an AZW3, even though AZW3 is the preferred output. Do you know how I can force the recipe to create an AZW3?

Lastly, I also tried to changing Preferences->Output Options->MOBI->Kindle Options from "old" to "new" but this does not seem to have an affect on the autoarchiving either.

Thank you again, Kovid and anyone else that may be able to shed light on this.
Elutherius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon does not support periodicals in azw3, periodicals for kindles are always created in MOBI.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
a_gopher
a_gopher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
same issue here

with kindle paperwhite 1G

none of my calibre generated periodicals are archiving:

BBC News
Guardian & Observer
Economist
io9
Business Week
a_gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:39 AM   #6
mido2392013@gmai
Banned
mido2392013@gmai began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elutherius View Post
Kovid, thank you for such a quick response.

Does anyone else with a KPW 1 or 2 have a similar issue where Calibre New Articles do or do not autoarchive?

The settings were as you describe, with both MOBI and Kindle selected. This worked (and still works) for autoarchiving on my kindle keyboard but not on the paperwhite. I have since completely uninstalled Calibre and installed version 1.5.0 using the wizard to designate the Paperwhite and changed the output to AZW3.

The current settings are Preferences->Behavior->Preferred output format: AZW3
and
Preferences->Common Options->Page Setup: Kindle Paperwhite

However, the NY Times recipe still creates a MOBI, not an AZW3, even though AZW3 is the preferred output. Do you know how I can force the recipe to create an AZW3?

Lastly, I also tried to changing Preferences->Output Options->MOBI->Kindle Options from "old" to "new" but this does not seem to have an affect on the autoarchiving either.

Thank you again, Kovid and anyone else that may be able to shed light on this.
BBC News
mido2392013@gmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
oneillpt
Connoisseur
oneillpt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (cracked screen!); PW1; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_gopher View Post
with kindle paperwhite 1G

none of my calibre generated periodicals are archiving:

BBC News
Guardian & Observer
Economist
io9
Business Week
Same here. I posted starting a different thread before finding this thread:

PW1: Calibre created periodicals not expiring

Replaced my Kindle Keyboard (cracked screen) with a Paperwhite 1 (firmware version 5.3.8.1)

Periodicals created with Calibre (as old MOBI file type) are not expiring after seven back issues. Some of those periodicals created daily are now up to 15 back issues, with only one of these periodicals having any issues marked as "Expiring", in that case the oldest two issues have been marked as expiring for the last week, but, like all the other issues due for deletion, these still remain on the device. To stop the device filling up I have to delete back issues manually - painful.

I have subscribed to one newspaper via Amazon. For this newspaper expiration is working correctly - the oldest of seven back issues gets marked as expiring, then deleted next day. One difference for this newspaper is that the current issue is delivered as a POBI file, like the back issues, whereas the current issues for the Calibre-created periodicals are all MOBI files, becoming POBI files only when they become back issues.

Perhaps (I hope) the solution is as simple as choosing a different Calibre output file format. But which one?

Two small additional questions: some of my periodicals open at the cover image, others at the "highlights of this issue". Is there any Calibre trick to create periodicals which open at the highlights? or even better, at the "contents list of sections and articles" instead?
oneillpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:56 AM   #8
JamboUK
JamboUK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello. I am having this same problem on a Kindle Fire HD. The recipes are archived perfectly on my old Kindle but not on my Kindle Fire. The list of recipes stored just get longer. Has anyone been able to resolve this? Thanks.
JamboUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #9
torgersen
torgersen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Different Kindle types = different results: I have the same issue with my paperwhite and the New York Times. Each new issue shows up separately listed with the date underneath, even though the date-format is set to blank as instructed. The same download of the Times is sent to my Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Voyage. The issues are archived correctly on the Kindle Keyboard, but not on the Paperwhite or Voyage - they show up as "DOC"'s rather than periodical, even though it's the same mobi file being emailed. The interesting thing is that if I plug the Paperwhite in to my computer via a USB cable, the Calibre program sends the individual issues to the main memory of the paperwhite, and all the issues show up as one line-item with "{#} issues" listed under the New York Times. They also show up in the periodical filter, as opposed to the DOC filter.
torgersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Amazon reformats all mobis you send via email, destroying the periodicals. You have to send them via USB if you want them to show up as periodicals on your Kindle.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #11
torgersen
torgersen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
So the Kindle Keyboard must have different internal software (obviously, but I mean for that particular type of logic)? The same mobi file emailed to that device has it archive correctly, with back issues going away after 7 days.

Last edited by torgersen; 11-15-2017 at 03:22 PM.
torgersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The logic is on amazon''s servers not the device. It's not really possible to know what goes on, on those servers.