Notices

Old 03-04-2021, 01:08 AM   #1
meRobs
Enthusiast
meRobs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Update firmware

Hi - sorry if I ask a naive question, but, here goes:
I have ahd a Forma since March 2018 and recently the device became sluggish in response (very slow page turns, etc) so I did a factory Reset.

It now works OK in this regard but the Firmware had reverted to 4.9.11674 instead of 4.12.12111.
Whereas, I can download the new firmware as a ZIP, I don't know how to get the firmware into my device. A search of the forum didn't help.

By the way, once I re-started the Forma after the factory reset, I had to sign in to Kobo and as soon as I could I disconnected because I wish to work only through Calibre.

Thanks, meRobs
meRobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:32 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, the firmware version you are seeing is the factory firmware. Firmware version 4.12.12111 was what was available from Kobo at the time did the initial setup. And you haven't let the device update since.

The factory reset put it back to 4.9.11674 and for some reason it didn't updated when you were doing the setup. That is a bit strange as it should have done this before prompting for the user details.

As to installing the firmware, there are instruction in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...81&postcount=3. But, as far as I can tell, anywhere you could manually download the firmware either has instructions to do it or a link to instructions such as this one. And it is a frequently asked and answered question here.

You might also want to consider which firmware you use. The latest release is 4.26.16704. There have been a lot of changes since either of the firmware versions you have mentioned. Including bug fixes that you would not have seen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2021, 03:50 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And one really big change is much improved dictionaries.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:53 PM   #4
meRobs
Enthusiast

Thanks davidfor. I shall download version 4.26.16704 and install as your link suggests.

I had a suspicion that new firmware woul be installed while the Forma was connected to the internet (Kobo), which is why I mentioned that I had disconnected as soon as I could.

Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:14 PM   #5
meRobs
Enthusiast

However, with Win 10 in my PC, the connected Forma was not listed in Explorer, so, I was not able to copy into the .kobo directory ?!
Any suggections?

Edit: whoops: sorry! A problem with my USB connection.
Please ignore

Last edited by meRobs; 03-04-2021 at 06:21 PM.
Advert