Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
yatesco
yatesco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Converting from Kobo Desktop kepub to Kobo Aura Edition 2

Hi - newbie here.

I purchased a book from Kobo (David Walliam's The World's Worst Children) and I would like to manage it via Calibre.

What works:
- downloading the .epub into Adobe Digital Editions
- stripping the DRM from that epub
- adding that to Calibre (default configuration is 'Kobo')
- pushing that to my Kobo Auro Edition 2

HOWEVER, when I view it on the Kobo the images are split across multiple pages.

I suspect I haven't taught Calibre about the Kobo device I have as if I convert the book manually then it states the Kobo device has a resolution of 536x710 when the Kobo marketing page states it is 1024x768.

If I try adding the .kepub file directly then Calibre can't make head-nor-tail of it.

So, I suspect I either need to:
- figure out how to add kepub files directly to Calibre
- teach it to export to a 1024x768 device

What am I missing?

Thanks!
yatesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It sounds like maybe the this is a fixed layout eBook. What you should do is download the kepub with Kobo Desktop and put that onto your Aura Edition 2. Or you can connect to WiFi and sync using the Aura2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
yatesco

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried that before Calibre and it did indeed work flawlessly. However, I have a bunch of books from elsewhere which aren't in the Kobo ecosystem hence wanting to use Calibre
Old 09-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What you could try is using the KoboTouchExtended driver in Calibre to convert to kepub and see how that works.

The thread to read about and ask about the plugin is https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=211135
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
yatesco

Ok, will take a look
Advert
Old 09-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesco View Post
Hi - newbie here.

I purchased a book from Kobo (David Walliam's The World's Worst Children) and I would like to manage it via Calibre.

What works:
- downloading the .epub into Adobe Digital Editions
- stripping the DRM from that epub
- adding that to Calibre (default configuration is 'Kobo')
- pushing that to my Kobo Auro Edition 2

HOWEVER, when I view it on the Kobo the images are split across multiple pages.

I suspect I haven't taught Calibre about the Kobo device I have as if I convert the book manually then it states the Kobo device has a resolution of 536x710 when the Kobo marketing page states it is 1024x768.
That suggests you have the wrong output profile. You probably have "Kobo Reader" selected on the "Page Setup" page of the conversion options. This downsizes images to 536x710. I usually recommend using the "Tablet" profile as that prevents resizing the images during the conversion. The Kobo firmware does a reasonable job of resizing images as they are displayed, but it also depends on how they are put in the book and their resolution. But, there should be a other output profiles for Kobo devices that are better suited for the Aura Edition 2.
Quote:

If I try adding the .kepub file directly then Calibre can't make head-nor-tail of it.
That means it has DRM. In the DRM tools, look for "Obok" to get around this. That will add the book as an epub, but it contains the kepub code. You can open the directory in calibre, copy the epub to a file with the extension "kepub" and then add that to calibre. The KoboTouch and KoboTouchExtended drivers can send this to the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:01 AM   #7
yatesco

Thanks David, will try that.

Tags
kobo aura edition 2, newbie