Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #16
nomeata
nomeata began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I’m wondering: Does kvncviewer actually make use of the 16 levels of greyscale display provided by the Aura HD?

Last edited by nomeata; 09-19-2014 at 09:07 AM.
nomeata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #17
nomeata

Also, it seems that white is not fully white. Any idea why that may be?
Advert
Old 09-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #18
nomeata

I tried to take a screenshot to show the issues that I still seem to have (white is not fully white, and everything involving not-fully-black-pixels, especially pictures is blurred), but when I copy the contents of /dev/fb0 and look at the image on my laptop, everything is white and crisp.

Is there a problem with too much dynamic in an eInk display? Or maybe too many refreshes?
Old 09-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #19
nomeata

Update: It seems that the noise is an artefact from VNC compression. Attached is a dump from /dev/fb0 converted to PNG, and you can clearly see noise around anti-aliased fonts and pictures. This comes out horribly on the Kobo.

Maybe I can use VNC in a lossless format somehow? Have not yet figured out how, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	739
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	128617  
Old 09-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #20
nomeata

With -encodings Hextile passed to the vnc client the image gets better, but grey scales are still wrong. It seems that kvncviewer uses the wrong pixel layout. And indeed, koreader (which works great) uses B.TYPE_BBRGB16 in ffi/framebuffer_linux.lua.

Unfortunately, when I change that in kvncviewer, the whole screen layout breaks. Maybe I should try to change more of these files.

Hans-Werner, are these files taken from koreader, or do they have another, common source? Dou you know what was modified in these files for kvncviewer?
Advert
Old 09-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #21
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I'm on a week of holiday currently, so I can't give appropriate answer, unfortunately.

A first look tells me that you're quite right. I used the koreader implementation for the vncviewer, but probably an early version, which was fixed in the meantime. Probably, the whole blitbuffer.lua and framebuffer_linux.lua should be updated from the koreader code.

I think I mistook the Kobo framebuffer layout for a 16bit grayscale buffer at first, only to later realize that it is in fact RGB16.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #22
nomeata

Ok, got it to work:

* I replaced ffi/blitbuffer.lua and ffi/framebuffer_linux.lua by the version in koreader
* In vncviewer.lua, I replaced blitbuffer.TYPE_BBBGR32, by blitbuffer.TYPE_BBRGB32.

I’m not exactly sure what that means, and what I broke for others.

Last edited by nomeata; 09-21-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Didn’t see the previous post, sorry.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #23
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great, I'll see to putting those changes into the repository - in a few days. Thank you for the valuable feedback! The code still needs a bit more love, I think. There's some bug in the event handling code that leads to a lock-up sometimes, IIRC.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #24
hawhill
Wizard

Changes are back in the repository - and I also fixed a bug. In a few days, I'll probably update the compiled version in the OP. Until then, you need to compile yourself.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #25
MoyoWa
MoyoWa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle PW2
Hi Hawhill,

First, thank you for all of your work on this.

I have gotten the kncviewer up and running on a PW2 and had a few questions.

It is fairly blinky and difficult to use as a monitor, as it blinks through black as a full refresh every few seconds. I found a lot of variables in vncviewer.lua, einkfb_h.lua, etc that look like they pertain to what I would want to tweak, but I do not know which ones to start with.

I'd like to have smoother transitions, and also partial refresh, such that only the thing that is changing on my screen has to update.

I see the variable fx_update_partial = 0, in einkfb_h.lua, and the various waveforms to choose from in vncviewer.lua, for example, but not sure what to change them to (1? GL16_FAST?). I'm also guessing that refresh_full_every_256th_pxup = 512 may have something to do with it.

If you could give any guidance here as to which variables in which files I can experiment with and in what way, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you thank you!

oh, and I am using Vine Server on OS X, so not sure how much of my lag is due to RFB....

Last edited by MoyoWa; 09-24-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: more info
MoyoWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #26
hawhill
Wizard

Well, try the "-fast" switch first. Also, I just added a commit to the sources that will allow to pass "0" as an option to the "-refreshFullAfterPixels" switch in order to disable full refreshes completely. For starters, experiment with higher values as parameter for that switch (like, say, 100). In the background that will fiddle with the value of refresh_full_every_256th_pxup. Oh, and try with "-waitRefresh 150" (or so - default is 250). If you prefer to dive into the code, that is of course fine with me, too :-) Just wanted to tell you that there are command line switches that might lead to preferable behaviour.

But in the end, you will probably adapt your desktop to the display technology, too. Disabling all flashy things, stop cursor blinking, use high contrast theme etc.pp. - it's e-ink, after all.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #27
MoyoWa
MoyoWa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle PW2
Yup, I had changed my laptop to grayscale and higher contrast.

I didn't know about the command line switches, so that may help. Does that require recompiling the code tho? Or are they executed via the terminal while vncviewer is running? Unfortunately, I don't have access to an environment where I can build right now, so looking for the easier tweaks...

Thank you so much for your reply!
MoyoWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:28 AM   #28
hawhill
Wizard

No, you don't need to recompile anything - even when changing the code, actually, since most of it is Lua code which is compiled just-in-time, so it's enough to change the .lua files and you're set. In fact, you could probably update an older binary (compiled) version by just adding in more current Lua files.

For most of the command line switches, they work in earlier versions. I only added the possibility to set the "0" option to disable full refreshes alltogether. You can probably give a very, very large number there and have the same effect.

Those are command line switches for the vnc viewer, so you add them at the point where you call/start the viewer.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #29
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I plan to try this on FW 3.15. Would that be okay or would it be preferable to downgrade the FW to an earlier version?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:11 AM   #30
hawhill
Wizard

I don't think it has any dependencies whatsoever to any firmware stuff.